2018 Ironton Head football coach

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by BigBlueNation »

Cato wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm West's current coach was born and raised in the Columbus area. What happens if Pendleton is hired and soon the West job opens up? He has quite a business started down there working players out. Same with Kaskey Wheelersburg.

Ironton isn't an easy job. Unrealistic expectations that noone can live up to. Ironton needs a coach with some head coaching experience and you would think with their facilities and history they could entice someone.
Exactly.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Cato wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm West's current coach was born and raised in the Columbus area. What happens if Pendleton is hired and soon the West job opens up? He has quite a business started down there working players out. Same with Kaskey Wheelersburg.

Ironton isn't an easy job. Unrealistic expectations that noone can live up to. Ironton needs a coach with some head coaching experience and you would think with their facilities and history they could entice someone.
I asked this very question to my contact that told me he had applied. His answer was even though the Pendletons played at West they aren’t technically from West. I was told he just wants to be a head coach and does his training business to give back to the kids. I don’t think he would apply unless he was very serious about the job. Plus I think ironton even in the state of the program now is defiantly a step up from West. West doesn’t have an established winning tradition and will always play second fiddle to Wheelersburg unless major changes are made. Also guys there’s only way way to get experience being a head coach and that’s to be given a chance. Here’s what I like about the guy. He has overcame so much in his playing career. Didn’t he break a leg his senior year and had all his scholarships pulled. Then he walked onto Michigan State in the Big Ten and became a stud for them in a short period of time. Plus I’ve read articles about him having the highest football iQ of anyone on MIchigan State roster. He also played great in the biggest games of his career (Rose Bowl). What makes him attractive is he can relate to the kids at Ironton and they will look up to him cause he’s literally walked in the shoes most of these kids dream about. I also heard Mark Snyder and Merrill Triplett both gave him strong Recconendations for the job. Enough Said

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Tough are you from Ironton, because all your other posts are about these same candidates and the Portsmouth job

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Coached at different programs all over Southern Ohio with one of coaches mentioned above.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

To answer your question, yes I am originally. The same contact told me Portsmouth was interested in him but that wasn’t necessarily true as Portsmouth was staying in house the whole time and never opened it to public.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

To answer your question, yes I am originally. The same contact told me Portsmouth was interested in him but that wasn’t necessarily true as Portsmouth was staying in house the whole time and never opened it to public.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

TOUGH wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:02 pm

I asked this very question to my contact that told me he had applied. His answer was even though the Pendletons played at West they aren’t technically from West. I was told he just wants to be a head coach and does his training business to give back to the kids. I don’t think he would apply unless he was very serious about the job. Plus I think ironton even in the state of the program now is defiantly a step up from West. West doesn’t have an established winning tradition and will always play second fiddle to Wheelersburg unless major changes are made. Also guys there’s only way way to get experience being a head coach and that’s to be given a chance. Here’s what I like about the guy. He has overcame so much in his playing career. Didn’t he break a leg his senior year and had all his scholarships pulled. Then he walked onto Michigan State in the Big Ten and became a stud for them in a short period of time. Plus I’ve read articles about him having the highest football iQ of anyone on MIchigan State roster. He also played great in the biggest games of his career (Rose Bowl). What makes him attractive is he can relate to the kids at Ironton and they will look up to him cause he’s literally walked in the shoes most of these kids dream about. I also heard Mark Snyder and Merrill Triplett both gave him strong Recconendations for the job. Enough Said
I hope that this is true. and as I stated earlier everybody starts coaching somewhere. mark dantonio is one of the finest coaches in the country. and I think the ironton community would embrace him. then I'd get tank whaley on the staff as well.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Gone Country
Waterboy

Post by Gone Country »

Tyler Whaley is an interesting thought that hasn't been mentioned before to my knowledge but also a walk-on at Ohio State who worked his way to a football scholarship and a starting position. How about Merrill Triplett, former head coach with a long resume of success at every program including Ironton who was Pendleton's high school coach and close friend as an assistant coach/mentor? How about Dan Pride, former NFL player and high school coach who was relegated to middle school coach and is held in the highest regard by all the kids at Ironton not only athletes? The possibilities for a support staff with not only proven records of success but are also familiar with Ironton sports and the community. It seems the issue the of head coaching experience could conceivably be taken off the table.

Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Post by Jeep/pirate »

West was actually a very good team in 2016 they have a junior class of now that is very good an was probably the best team in the soc during their Jr high days. So to say they had a major part of the success isn’t exact. Rumor has been Cleared he did apply. I’m speaking of Trevin. He’s and interesting candidate but at the same time he hasn’t coached a offense or defense he’s been a helper. I would think you prefer a guy with some type of experience other than someone just working out kids on the side.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Gone Country wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 am Tyler Whaley is an interesting thought that hasn't been mentioned before to my knowledge but also a walk-on at Ohio State who worked his way to a football scholarship and a starting position. How about Merrill Triplett, former head coach with a long resume of success at every program including Ironton who was Pendleton's high school coach and close friend as an assistant coach/mentor? How about Dan Pride, former NFL player and high school coach who was relegated to middle school coach and is held in the highest regard by all the kids at Ironton not only athletes? The possibilities for a support staff with not only proven records of success but are also familiar with Ironton sports and the community. It seems the issue the of head coaching experience could conceivably be taken off the table.
absolutely the possibilities are there if we are creative. too many times I think programs falter because they only hire teachers.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

there are so many former players that may well be interested as well. one in particular that comes to my mind is juan Thomas. a lifelong ironton fighting tiger and coached youth football in ironton for ever. let's be completely honest, the same fundamentals coached at that level are still relevant a few short years later in high school. there is obviously more schemes at that level. but not that much of a stretch. having coached youth football myself at rock hill for years. we assembled a great staff,was basically running ironton's playbook with a few wrinkles.you learn more by doing, winning and losing, and assemble a staff it will only get better. and I don't think it would have been that big a stretch at that point with a bit more experience that I could have became one myself. not everybody will be a bob lutz. but everybody has to start a career somewhere. I have no aspirations of doing that. but it's something I wanted to do. was to coach or be on a high school staff, because I just love teaching kids the game of football. you have to start somewhere, and you don't have to be an army all American to know the game either.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that's why the Pendleton's intrigue me. tim hodges is a local guy who would be an excellent coach/assistant and qb'd at the university of akron.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you don't get a whole lot more hardnosed than people like the Pendleton's, whaleys, thomas' hodges and the like. and they came up in wonderful systems. to be absolutely honest I don't know much about danny pride. but I know the man was an nfl player. does anybody actually know if Merrill triplett is interested in coaching again. he lives in Ashland, and has coached all over the country. can you imagine the staff that could be assembled with men like this.

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Post by morganjones »

Would owning a gym/performance center and being a coach on the local football team be an ethical conflict of interest?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I don't think so. but I have no idea who you're talking about.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Only thing I will say playing football and coaching football is totally different.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

morganjones wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:43 am Would owning a gym/performance center and being a coach on the local football team be an ethical conflict of interest?
No

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

JTEK wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm
morganjones wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:43 am Would owning a gym/performance center and being a coach on the local football team be an ethical conflict of interest?
No
That's an interesting question, actually.

If kids and parents felt like they needed to sign up (pay fees) at a particular gym or pay a particular trainer (the one where the coach makes his living) in order to get ahead, I would say that it could be that kind of situation.

The coach would have to train his players for free at the gym in order to be beyond reproach, especially because he would be getting compensated by the school to do just that training.

I bet that the mere mention of such an situation would draw action from school administration due to the legal liability.

The argument would be that presented would be "kids/parents could be buying their way into unfair advantage on the team."

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

madpolecat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 pm
JTEK wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm
No
That's an interesting question, actually.

If kids and parents felt like they needed to sign up (pay fees) at a particular gym or pay a particular trainer (the one where the coach makes his living) in order to get ahead, I would say that it could be that kind of situation.

The coach would have to train his players for free at the gym in order to be beyond reproach, especially because he would be getting compensated by the school to do just that training.

I bet that the mere mention of such an situation would draw action from school administration due to the legal liability.

The argument would be that presented would be "kids/parents could be buying their way into unfair advantage on the team."
Is it any different than a teacher charging for tutoring after school?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

a coach has to deal with so many outside distractions/interferences they have to have a tough skin, and be able to tune a lot of it out.

Return to “Football”