2018 Ironton Head football coach

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I hope so. and I hope it is someone who can right the ship n get the job done 4th.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Tell us what is VAS'Ss record at ironton and how many OVC Championship have the team won while Vass is in charge?

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

A lot of you tiger fans better be careful in what you ask for because you might just get it , if they hire a coach who runs the spread Ironton will be lucky to win 4 games next year , you can’t put that offense in and have success over night everything is different even the way the line blocks is different a totally different mind set , Are the tiger faithful who can’t wait to get rid of Vass going to give a new coach a couple of 4-6 seasons to get his offense in place ?? Probably not

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Didn't Vass make the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons in his tenure? Or was it 3 out of 5? Tiger fans?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

N2Hoops wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:18 am Didn't Vass make the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons in his tenure? Or was it 3 out of 5? Tiger fans?
I’m not sure on playoffs but I think he’s hovering around a .500 record. Maybe a little higher but close to that.

Getting Older
Riding the Bench

Post by Getting Older »

4th & inches, what makes you an authority on what a coach can and cant do in a reasonable time. Ive seen coaches on the high school level and college come in and make entirely new changes and it turns their program around in one year...I believe you are just a Vass fan and that's fine but don't make statements without something to back it up

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

4th and iches wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 am A lot of you tiger fans better be careful in what you ask for because you might just get it , if they hire a coach who runs the spread Ironton will be lucky to win 4 games next year , you can’t put that offense in and have success over night everything is different even the way the line blocks is different a totally different mind set , Are the tiger faithful who can’t wait to get rid of Vass going to give a new coach a couple of 4-6 seasons to get his offense in place ?? Probably not
This is exactly what I was talking about. This is why Ironton will never change with the times.

I watched Ironton play 3 times last year. The Salyers kid could be great in the spread. And just because you hire a coach that has ran the spread doesn’t mean that you're gonna throw the ball all the time. Raceland runs the spread and they run as much as they throw with a controlled passing game that are like runs. Wonder how Coldwater fans took changing to the spread about 10 years ago after all the success they had?

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Game day wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:47 am After hearing how the interview process was put together I think Ironton should have ask other schools their opinions. A person on last years staff should not be interview since last years coach is in the running.
Maybe they should make you the AD since you have all the answers.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Urban wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 am
Game day wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:47 am After hearing how the interview process was put together I think Ironton should have ask other schools their opinions. A person on last years staff should not be interview since last years coach is in the running.
Maybe they should make you the AD since you have all the answers.
Better than the one Ironton has now for sure! Do you know what a conflict of interest is if not look up on your computer.
Last edited by Game day on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Again, How many league tittles did Coach VASS win?

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

moonshine wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 am Again, How many league tittles did Coach VASS win?
I believe 2.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Do you know how bad Ironton has gotten beaten by Ashland the last 3 years?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Game day wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 am Do you know how bad Ironton has gotten beaten by Ashland the last 3 years?
It is ONLY Ashland! :mrgreen:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

2thwzd wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am You are correct Bait, but don't you think that being able to identify the individual abilities in each athlete is a skill not ALL "so called coaches" possess!! There are some that can look at the size, build, agility, and ability of a kid and just KNOW what position he would excel at and then promote that ability, not put a kid in a position just because daddy says that's where he plays or that's where he played in biddy league? It's a gift not all men have? :D Certainly not the existing crew on the sidelines.
you absolutely need to know your players and have a coach that recognizes their skillset and put them where they need them. you may have a 155 pounder that plays nose tackle for you because he is too quick for the bigger offensive lineman. or a 240 pound boy that can run like forrest gump , and will run over you that has played guard on teams up till now. you may have a 5- 6'' receiver right next to your 6-3'' tight end because he runs great routes and can catch anything. but you have to have a staff that recognizes that to put them where they need to be. and you're right not every coach can or will do that. and tune daddy and mommy out. bob lutz had a saying. IF YOU CAN PLAY, YOU WILL. and you must have a competent staff that pushes the boys, and communicates well with assistant coaches and co-ordinators, or you have bedlam. a perfect example is todd Hoffman on the show gold rush, he fails every year because he won't listen to his staff, it's his way or nothing. and his crew is breaking apart because of it. I don't care how many washplants you have. if you ain't on the gold move. and listen to the guys trying to help you tune it in. no matter how many years you been doing it. it is going to take the right people, a competent staff, and get the fricckin weight room humming. your game plan will vary from game to game. and you have to have a backup plan. and your troops will change every year. and don't be afraid to start a frosh that can out preform your senior. THIS HAIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. seems like the whole place needs gutted to me.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

N2Hoops wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:18 am Didn't Vass make the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons in his tenure? Or was it 3 out of 5? Tiger fans?
no disrespect to coach vass , but it is fairly easy to make the playoffs with today's format. but it does no good if you make the preseason and meet a team like burg and get waxed 48-7. playoffs are great, but a medicore team can get in these days. possibly with a .500 season or maybe even a losing one with the right wins. I've seen teams like desales n Watterson make the playoffs at 4-6 or 5-5 and win state. ironton's 99 team I believe it was were like 6-3. didn't even have a 10th game and made the state game. and lost in the final seconds. it's who you beat. again , no disrespect intended.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

moonshine wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am Tell us what is VAS'Ss record at ironton and how many OVC Championship have the team won while Vass is in charge?
without looking anything up. they have been in the OVC shine for 3 years. ironton won it the 1st 2 years they were in. and coal grove won it this year. but as far as a win/loss seems like I saw it somewhere on here, and it was in the win column I think by several games. the 1st 2 years they went undefeated in the OVC till this year.

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

Getting Older wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:54 am 4th & inches, what makes you an authority on what a coach can and cant do in a reasonable time. Ive seen coaches on the high school level and college come in and make entirely new changes and it turns their program around in one year...I believe you are just a Vass fan and that's fine but don't make statements without something to back it up
First i didn’t say I was authority on anything , next yes I like mark Vass , I went to school with him but I do not think he’s a head coach he would be a really good coach but not the guy he charge . Yes some coaches have went to a new school , college and done well in the beginning but this will not be the case at Ironton , for one it’s not the 80’s you don’t have the talent that use to suit up in the orange and black , and I don’t see urban myer walking the tiger sidelines , the coach that’s been rumored to be getting the job is young and will be way over his head to start off with , next your taking a program that has ran the T and the 50 series for the last 200 years and throw a spread offense at them it just don’t work that way and your living in a fanstasy world of you think it will happen that quick but don’t worry your not alone that’s why in 3 years this post will started back up because you guys don’t have patience and will run this coach off

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

If Ironton is looking for a coach 3 years from now the AD and the board picked the wrong person. I believe the current coach is in his 7th year.

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

You guys make it seems like running the spread is extremely complicated. When run and taught correctly, it’s not.

It’s a handful of plays that can be run out of multiple formations. Just because you change a formation or tempo doesn’t mean the assignment or fundamentals change. In college, we had over 180 different one back formations, but only 3 run concepts.

In fact, most spread systems are fairly easy for kids to pick up and remember. Options are either built in or a check system is installed that allows the coaches to get the boys in the best possible play vs the defensive look.

As a former coordinator that used to be under-center in 21/22 personnel-based settings.....I’ll never go back to that stuff unless it’s 4th and short or inside the +4 yard line. It’s too easy to get number and matchup advantages using spread tempo. I don’t know about you guys, but I would rather play 1-on-1, 2-on-2, 3-on3, 7-on-6, or 8-on-7 as opposed to 9-on-11 and maxed-out boxes where there are lots more variables to go wrong.

To each their own though. There is a place for the old-school stuff, it’s just easier to score points with less talent other ways IMO.

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

osu 77 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:13 pm If Ironton is looking for a coach 3 years from now the AD and the board picked the wrong person. I believe the current coach is in his 7th year.
The current coach is mike Burchamns nephew and ex QB a Irontin and 1992 graduate .. the new coach will not have any ties to Ironton at all the leash might be just a tad tighter on the new coach .. he can be very successful BUT it will take time I just don’t think the Ironton faithful will be patient enough

Return to “Football”