Biddy League Football

shelton
Waterboy

Re: Biddy League Football

Post by shelton »

You guys are saying that you have high school coaches coaching biddy league, well down at Eastern we have biddy league coaches coaching the varsity!😂

BobcatBall
Freshman Team

Re: Biddy League Football

Post by BobcatBall »

I've coached as an assistant for three years with Varsity and Jr. High. My first year there i kept being told about the dominate peewee teams our school had but the kids were dropping out and not playing football anymore once they got to the Varsity Levels.
So I went around and talked to these players about why they had decided to walk away. Our team struggles to get 20 kids at the higher levels so it was important to me to know why kids were walking away.

The kids gave me several excuses, some legit some just excuses. But one thing was constant in all of them, and I spoke to them usually seperate from each other. Tired of being hit, hurting, playing with sprained ankles, headaches, knee aches.. so on and it led them to be burnt out on football.
When your getting a version of the same story from several different kids you might want to listen.

Now I'm coaching my son in flag. He's in third grade and historically we had been tackle in 3rd and 4th. But after what i heard from the older kids i coach, plus seeing programs like Burg having success with staying flag until 5th and 6th grade. We made a decision as a program to follow suite and change our structure.

We still learn proper blocking techniques, proper ball carrying and later in the year I'll work with them on proper tackling with a dummy just so my 4th graders moving up have a head start for next year.

I like the idea of playing flag longer. We have to realize just because we didn't do it when we played doesn't mean it isn't what's best for kids now. Adapt to the new generation.

Let's let kids fall in love with the sport while they are young and not have the injuries that can cone with tackle be apart of it until they are older to understand the injury better.

Return to “Football”