morganjones
Riding the Bench

Editorial Calls for End to Scholastic Football

Post by morganjones »

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: Editorial Calls for End to Scholastic Football

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Although I don't believe that it will end anytime soon, I do believe that there is a very good chance that the game of football will be just an resemblance of what it was once was, and in my lifetime. I say that in the next ten - fifteen years, the game will be dramatically altered. I don't say this without basis, here are two examples; with the addition of the blindside blocking rule this year and some schools are teaching rugby style tackling. Both aspects are to lessen the violent collisions that occur several times during a game.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 am Although I don't believe that it will end anytime soon, I do believe that there is a very good chance that the game of football will be just an resemblance of what it was once was, and in my lifetime. I say that in the next ten - fifteen years, the game will be dramatically altered. I don't say this without basis, here are two examples; with the addition of the blindside blocking rule this year and some schools are teaching rugby style tackling. Both aspects are to lessen the violent collisions that occur several times during a game.
I agree. Will change a lot

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

Not only those changes listed above but also the changes being seen in the kicking game where you now can fair catch a kickoff in the college game and get the ball on the 25 yard line....Rutgers did that the whole game vs OSU on Saturday. Does anyone know if this rule also applies to high school yet?

MoCoSportsGuy
JV Team

Post by MoCoSportsGuy »

No, it is not in high school. But they changed the rule for junior varsity. Both coaches have to agree to kickoff. If they don't kick off, put the ball at the 35.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:37 am Not only those changes listed above but also the changes being seen in the kicking game where you now can fair catch a kickoff in the college game and get the ball on the 25 yard line....Rutgers did that the whole game vs OSU on Saturday. Does anyone know if this rule also applies to high school yet?
Yes. How could I forget this one? Another great example of the game changing.

Return to “Football”