Question about School not offering a Sport

mattash
Site Admin

Question about School not offering a Sport

Post by mattash »

If a kid went to St. Joe and wanted to play football, can he go to Ironton and play without transferring? South Webster to Minford. Ect.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
transplant
SE

Re: Question about School not offering a Sport

Post by transplant »

from ohsaa.org

6. The public school my student attends does not offer a certain sport. Are students who want to play that sport eligible at a different school?

For a 'conventional' public school, NO. Bylaw 4-3-1 indicates that a student must be enrolled and attending full-time to have the privilege of athletic participation. Exception 6 of Bylaw 4-3-1 indicates that there is an exception in accordance with state law. The students who have an opportunity to participate on different school teams in accordance with state law are those who reside in a district and are students who attend the following types of schools: non-public schools, community schools and STEM schools. Students who are home schooled and live in a school district also have an opportunity to participate on those school teams. The language in the state law is not written to include students who attend conventional public schools that do not have a participation opportunity. Remember that the opportunity for non-enrolled students is at the residential public school ONLY, with the two exceptions cited – home educated students and non-public school students.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Thanks for the topic mattash and thanks for the clarification from transplant. I'd always heard that kids from Webster, New Boston, Clay, etc. could go to neighboring districts to play football while remaining at their home school. Doesn't appear to be the case after reading this.*

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

anytime, I always thought they could too and wondered why more students didn't take advantage of that, but I guess you couldn't after all.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

So only in our area St. Joe can go to Ironton to play football. Ohio Valley Christian still exist? Could a kid that goes to Rose Hill play football in Ohio?

Michael Scott
allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Interesting

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

In Washington CH , we have Fayette Christian high school. They have not offered soccer or basketball, so there kids have actually played for our HS teams and baseball also while still going to Fayette Christian. This year they offer both sports so they cannot compete for our HS. There is also now a separate Christian school league and playoff system they play in . This is something new I have never seen.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

wch125 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:50 pm In Washington CH , we have Fayette Christian high school. They have not offered soccer or basketball, so there kids have actually played for our HS teams and baseball also while still going to Fayette Christian. This year they offer both sports so they cannot compete for our HS. There is also now a separate Christian school league and playoff system they play in . This is something new I have never seen.
So the Playoff system they compete in is the BCSO Buckeye Christian School Organization . They are the governing body similar to OHSAA for Christian Schools. Here is a link to their rules and bylaws.http://www.bcsoschools.org/uploads/9/7/ ... k_2017.pdf

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Mattash, in your example I think a student attending St. Joe could play football in the district where they reside, not automatically Ironton. If they lived in the Rock Hill district I think they could play for Rock Hill, but not Ironton.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

So a kid at East could golf or play soccer at Minford?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

according to the ohsaa, if east is still a "community school" or whatever, then yeah sounds like they would be able to? Seems crazy, but legal.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

What all schools in SEO are non public? How is Sciotiville East funded?

Michael Scott
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

one Oak wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 pm Mattash, in your example I think a student attending St. Joe could play football in the district where they reside, not automatically Ironton. If they lived in the Rock Hill district I think they could play for Rock Hill, but not Ironton.
You are correct. It is their district of residence. Plus, this isn't just about sports, it includes all extra curricular activities.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
outerbanksjake
JV Team

Post by outerbanksjake »

Students of Bellaire St John's run cross country and wrestle at Bellaire.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Frank Reagan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am
one Oak wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 pm Mattash, in your example I think a student attending St. Joe could play football in the district where they reside, not automatically Ironton. If they lived in the Rock Hill district I think they could play for Rock Hill, but not Ironton.
You are correct. It is their district of residence. Plus, this isn't just about sports, it includes all extra curricular activities.

Example?

Michael Scott
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

<r><QUOTE author="mattash" post_id="1692290" time="1537998276" user_id="2"><s>
mattash wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:44 pm</s>
<QUOTE author="Frank Reagan" post_id="1691662" time="1537884626" user_id="4375"><s>
Frank Reagan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am</s>
<QUOTE author="one Oak" post_id="1691444" time="1537835202" user_id="461"><s>
one Oak wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 pm</s>
Mattash, in your example I think a student attending St. Joe could play football in the district where they reside, not automatically Ironton. If they lived in the Rock Hill district I think they could play for Rock Hill, but not Ironton.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
<br/>
Example?
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Let’s use St. Joe for example. If a student wants to participate in an extra curricular activity which SJ doesn’t have, if he lives in the Ironton School district, he or she may participate at Ironton. If he or she lives in Rock Hill district and goes to SJ, they must participate at Rock Hill, etc. same with Coal Grove students, etc.<br/>
<br/>
As far as extra curricular activities, that depends on your local school and what it offers. Sports is definitely included, probably plays, maybe band, clubs, but the Ohio Revised code does not define specify or define extra curricular activities.</r>

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

River Valley had a couple or 3 kids on there baseball team that attended Ohio Valley Christian. They lived in the Gallia County school district. I think this was 2-3 years ago.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

So how about let's say you live in Ironton and want to play soccer you would to go Rock Hill right? Is that how it works or I am misunderstanding something?

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I was wondering this myself.
Was talking to a friend of mine, he was telling me that Valley is going to have a hard time fielding a Jr high football team next year. He said they only have 6 or 7 7th graders this year and there is only 6 or 7 6th graders that play football this year. If that's the case would those kids be able to play somewhere else.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

No, a public school student can't play a sport at another school even if their school doesn't offer that sport. Here is the OHSAA bylaw.

Bylaw 4-3-1 states, “All students participating in a school-sponsored sport must be enrolled in and attending full-time in accordance with all duly adopted Board of Education or similar governing board policies of that school.” There are six exceptions to this Bylaw. Exception six (6) refers to state law, and the four categories of students that are covered and have a participation opportunity at the public school in the parents' district of residence are:
Home educated students (students excused from compulsory attendance)
Community school students
STEM school students
Non-public school students

Return to “Football”