Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

Post by wobycat »

Stay on topic please. Burg and Ashland skill players were similar. The line play favored burg. I do agree burg probably could have won that in regulation but they didn’t.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:13 am Stay on topic please. Burg and Ashland skill players were similar. The line play favored burg. I do agree burg probably could have won that in regulation but they didn’t.
Agreed. 2 and 8 were pretty good backs. And that TE that caught the fourth down conversion could really run. 29 for burg, thought it was OBJ a few times. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game like that in high school. Maybe 17 state championship

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
ballplayer1992
Freshman Team

Post by ballplayer1992 »

Good win for the Pirates! I was very impressed with the resolve Wheelersburg showed last night, especially after a 1st quarter that went about as bad as possible. The 98 yard interception return by Ashland was a big momentum swing in favor of the Tomcats. However, Wheelersburg remained composed and focused. This enabled the Pirates to grind out a win against a very good opponent. I firmly believe that the final chapter of the story for this Wheelersburg team is far from being written. These kids are talented and very tough. GO PIRATES!

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

Apologize Woby for the chain pulling, temptation overtakes me sometimes and I can't resist the urge. Lol Back to subject, a big difference I've noticed here in Burg, as compared to a few other communities I've been around, here in Burg, there's a total community commitment to excellence in sports and academics that seems to be instilled from a young age. A perfect example was the Hartley game, a mismatch, but yet, I never saw any Burg players drop their heads or quit. They gave it their ALL to the last play of the game. Then, last night speaks for itself, no quit, the gutsy kick by an underclassmen to tie the game and then the TD run in OT by 29 on 4th down and the XP to seal the deal. This team will continue to improve. You know what I mean...that strive for excellence!

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Ordinary kids doing extraordinary things. I'll say that about any young man that has the dedication and drive to play this game. High school football is one of the few last rites of passage left in America for young men,and truthfully, young women. #these are just kids

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
BurgGrad6
SE

Re: WK3 Ashland (KY) @ Wheelersburg

Post by BurgGrad6 »

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm Absolute terrible call. Burg kid definitely touched the ball on a punt, took away an Ashland score and 2 plays later burg turns it into 6.
I thought this was a bad call as well... however, I went back and watched it on film.. the returner never touched the ball. He completely missed it. Now the intentional grounding call was a bad one.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:24 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm Absolute terrible call. Burg kid definitely touched the ball on a punt, took away an Ashland score and 2 plays later burg turns it into 6.
I thought this was a bad call as well... however, I went back and watched it on film.. the returner never touched the ball. He completely missed it. Now the intentional grounding call was a bad one.
Was a receiver in the area?
Not sure there is an out of pocket throw away rule in highschool

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

Big complaint from Ashland coaches and fans and it seems ligit, the clock didn’t run for the first 4 plays of the game , when it was caught nothing was done no run off or anything, wheelersburg last TD with a few seconds left in the first half should’ve never happened , does not one of the referees kee the time on the field and why wasn’t any time ran off when the mistake was found

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

The intentional grounding call was the right call even though Ashlands qb was out of the pocket the ball never crossed the line of scrimmage which it has to do he threw it straight out of bounds

Burg grad 85
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

fbnut wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:54 pm
The ball has to travel past the line of scrimmage it didn't he darn near threw it straight out of bounds

Burg grad 85
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Glad someone brought this up!

I was standing along the fence on Ashland's side on the 25 with two other Burgites, and the initial reaction from all of us was that the ball was touched by the returner, and it should have been an Ashland TD. I can't say for sure, but all 3 of us had the same reaction and we had a good vantage point. I would like to see a slow-mo replay of that one. It was ruled as not touched, so we'll have to live with that.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:04 pm
The intentional grounding call was the right call even though Ashlands qb was out of the pocket the ball never crossed the line of scrimmage which it has to do he threw it straight out of bounds
I don’t think it has anything to do with line of scrimmage or tackle box
If the official determines the ball was thrown away to avoid a sack or loss its grounding unless of course he’s trying to spike it to stop clock

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

fbnut wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:54 pm
The ball never passed the LOS. That's why it was grounding.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

vladimir wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:14 pm

I was standing along the fence on Ashland's side on the 25 with two other Burgites, and the initial reaction from all of us was that the ball was touched by the returner, and it should have been an Ashland TD. I can't say for sure, but all 3 of us had the same reaction and we had a good vantage point. I would like to see a slow-mo replay of that one. It was ruled as not touched, so we'll have to live with that.
Even if he did touch the ball, Ashland would not have been able to advance the football.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Even if he did touch the ball, Ashland would not have been able to advance the football.
Jolly is on his game. #rulesguru #genestetatore

“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Tripaces wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:57 pm Big complaint from Ashland coaches and fans and it seems ligit, the clock didn’t run for the first 4 plays of the game , when it was caught nothing was done no run off or anything, wheelersburg last TD with a few seconds left in the first half should’ve never happened , does not one of the referees kee the time on the field and why wasn’t any time ran off when the mistake was found
Actually, the clock read 3:08 after the first four plays. Refere set it to 11:45....
Last edited by Jack Sparrow on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The conspiracy theories won’t work on this game. Both teams had moments to win. If Ashland doesn’t muff the punt, they probably win. If they don’t interfere with the receiver they probably win. If they call a different play on the two point conversion they might win.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:16 pm The conspiracy theories won’t work on this game. Both teams had moments to win. If Ashland doesn’t muff the punt, they probably win. If they don’t interfere with the receiver they probably win. If they call a different play on the two point conversion they might win.
You are right. But it won’t stop some posters from posting conspiracies.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 pm

I try my best to help others understand the rules of football. Lol.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:42 pm
Jack Sparrow wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 pm

I try my best to help others understand the rules of football. Lol.
Well, I am impressed!

Return to “Football”