Wheelersburg 21 - 20 Minford

footballguy11
Waterboy

Re: Week 6: SOCII Burg @ Minford

Post by footballguy11 »

mattash wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:47 pm Does Burg fans pack Minford stadium or does the 3 losses keep fans home. This could be the SOC chip
Well who has minford played that has gave them a challenge "no one"

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

this is going to be a good game.....burg is a good football team.....and so is Minford...….burg faithful will be there shaken the jugs,,,,,,,,they aren't part time fans and if 3losses keep them from going then I wouldn't want them there when the winning was going on week in and week out.....tha burg will show up and play you can take that to the bank......but ooooo the mighty fighting falcons of Minford are having their selves a season out of the gates....good wins and they'll be a handful to beat in the confines of their home place...….whomever capitalizes on the opportunities will be on top when the dust settles...….good game look forward to following tonight.....

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

If countywide35 could add “going to be a real barnburner” and recite that in Keith Jackson voice.... Whoa Nellie!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

In my opinion, Wheelersburg needs a more run heavy offense. Throwing the ball like they have the past 3 years will not work this year. Practice running all week in practice with the big, stout o-line you have and hand the ball to Horsley and Matthews every play. Use Masters or the freshmen to throw occasionally under center. Use your strengths and control time of possession. Burg's defense is good enough for them to win games if the offense does build long, downhill drives.

I said before the year started that Burg needed Miller at QB, with Horsley and Matthews as backs in a wing T, run a lot of misdirection and downhill football. You can still do it without Miller. I just think that would play into Wheelersburg's favor a whole lot more.

I do think if they spread it out on Minford they will lose. Burg can't score through the air from what I've seen this year.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

burgfella69 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:22 am In my opinion, Wheelersburg needs a more run heavy offense. Throwing the ball like they have the past 3 years will not work this year. Practice running all week in practice with the big, stout o-line you have and hand the ball to Horsley and Matthews every play. Use Masters or the freshmen to throw occasionally under center. Use your strengths and control time of possession. Burg's defense is good enough for them to win games if the offense does build long, downhill drives.

I said before the year started that Burg needed Miller at QB, with Horsley and Matthews as backs in a wing T, run a lot of misdirection and downhill football. You can still do it without Miller. I just think that would play into Wheelersburg's favor a whole lot more.

I do think if they spread it out on Minford they will lose. Burg can't score through the air from what I've seen this year.
Stout defense and downrill run game will still win football games ? Crazy concept huh

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Poo Bear wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:29 am
burgfella69 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:22 am In my opinion, Wheelersburg needs a more run heavy offense. Throwing the ball like they have the past 3 years will not work this year. Practice running all week in practice with the big, stout o-line you have and hand the ball to Horsley and Matthews every play. Use Masters or the freshmen to throw occasionally under center. Use your strengths and control time of possession. Burg's defense is good enough for them to win games if the offense does build long, downhill drives.

Stout defense and downrill run game will still win football games ? Crazy concept huh
Most teams you see deep in the playoffs do the very same thing haha.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

burgfella69 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:31 am
Poo Bear wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:29 am

Most teams you see deep in the playoffs do the very same thing haha.
And with your personnel I agree 💯

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Down or not, I still think burg is a couple tds better than Minford.

fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

I agree 100% with the run attack for Burg. They need to try and use speed and multiple backs to have a strong running attack. The attack they had in the past few years only works if you have the ability to throw the ball down field. I say this...and with no disrespect...but they don't have a lot of kids that can catch and block at the wide out spots, this point in the season. Burg always had receivers that could catch, would block very hard and just be as physical as they were able to be with the other team. As I have said before Burg has a great bunch of coaches and I know they are being coached correctly but after the first few games you can see that they have too many kids playing that don't like to be physical... They run themselves past plays to avoid contact most of the time. I have seen them move and actually take some players out lately as they must be seeing this on game film. I believe it goes back to what most coaches will always say "they want players to be very physical" I know if kids are playing hard, physical and well coached they can make up for not being as good as others. I know Minford will be as physical as they can because of what's on the line. Both are good football teams and good kids
Burg will need to play to the strength of their team which seems to be running a multiple back, misdirection style offense using some screens and throwing short passes to multiple people. On D they should get the kids that like to be physical and keep it simple and let them play football and get a lot of hats to the ball. If they continue to play kids that don't like to tackle they will be in bigger trouble. Kick the ball deep on kick off to get better field position and that might help pressure the other team into putting longer drives together. I do like the onside kick but this 2019 team is not to that point yet. Playing on a short field last week at Jackson bit them a few times.
Hope everything comes out injury free! Great day for Football! Love reading the stuff that's only about football. Been on a long vacation and I figured it was time to come back and post!

fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

BG69 and PB
I agree 100% with you both! I just don't understand how they can watch hours of film every week and not see that they need to change the attack to a run downhill attack with lots of misdirection and throwing the short pass off of that action! It appears they are wanting to force what worked before on this group of kids but I could be wrong! I just think that if you scout your own team you can see what might be a way to move the football. I know that everyone is looking at 29 when he is split out or in the slot. I would like 6 leading 29 a few times to see if that would work. Several other backs that run very hard too. This team might look very different in the Air Force offense they ran a few years back!
And one last thing....I have never witnessed in watching Burg over that past years and years have players on the sidelines that are not watching the game, turned around looking in the crowd, playing games and other things. I would have to tell them if they don't want to come watch that you need to get better so you can play or find some younger kids that want to play. Just something I have never seen before out of them. I have always liked and respected how they were asked to be discipline on the sidelines and into the game!
Last edited by fox_40 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

fox_40 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:29 am I agree 100% with the run attack for Burg. They need to try and use speed and multiple backs to have a strong running attack. The attack they had in the past few years only works if you have the ability to throw the ball down field. I say this...and with no disrespect...but they don't have a lot of kids that can catch and block at the wide out spots, this point in the season. Burg always had receivers that could catch, would block very hard and just be as physical as they were able to be with the other team. As I have said before Burg has a great bunch of coaches and I know they are being coached correctly but after the first few games you can see that they have too many kids playing that don't like to be physical... They run themselves past plays to avoid contact most of the time. I have seen them move and actually take some players out lately as they must be seeing this on game film. I believe it goes back to what most coaches will always say "they want players to be very physical" I know if kids are playing hard, physical and well coached they can make up for not being as good as others. I know Minford will be as physical as they can because of what's on the line. Both are good football teams and good kids
Burg will need to play to the strength of their team which seems to be running a multiple back, misdirection style offense using some screens and throwing short passes to multiple people. On D they should get the kids that like to be physical and keep it simple and let them play football and get a lot of hats to the ball. If they continue to play kids that don't like to tackle they will be in bigger trouble. Kick the ball deep on kick off to get better field position and that might help pressure the other team into putting longer drives together. I do like the onside kick but this 2019 team is not to that point yet. Playing on a short field last week at Jackson bit them a few times.
Hope everything comes out injury free! Great day for Football! Love reading the stuff that's only about football. Been on a long vacation and I figured it was time to come back and post!
Do you have another account or something? Because you joined like an hour ago.

fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

PF, I had not posted anything for a long time and had taken a break...but I couldn't get my old account to work but I am under the same name just a different way of spelling. Bama would know I been around before this site! lol
Just missed talking football!!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

If your friends with BamaMike then you are more like

Fox_60

Never have forgiven him for that time my Morgan Raiders went into Otway and beat them only to get ceremonially mooned on the way out of town. I’m certain Bama Mike put them up to it.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

LOL...LucasDavenport That's a good one! Bama is a great guy and I would bet he did! I didn't say I'm old like Bama!! Don't let the name fool ya! This name comes from an old grass field and it is under most coaches nose! Bama has an idea where that name comes from!

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

fox_40 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:29 am I agree 100% with the run attack for Burg. They need to try and use speed and multiple backs to have a strong running attack. The attack they had in the past few years only works if you have the ability to throw the ball down field. I say this...and with no disrespect...but they don't have a lot of kids that can catch and block at the wide out spots, this point in the season. Burg always had receivers that could catch, would block very hard and just be as physical as they were able to be with the other team. As I have said before Burg has a great bunch of coaches and I know they are being coached correctly but after the first few games you can see that they have too many kids playing that don't like to be physical... They run themselves past plays to avoid contact most of the time. I have seen them move and actually take some players out lately as they must be seeing this on game film. I believe it goes back to what most coaches will always say "they want players to be very physical" I know if kids are playing hard, physical and well coached they can make up for not being as good as others. I know Minford will be as physical as they can because of what's on the line. Both are good football teams and good kids
Fox, you are correct. They have a few that will catch it in traffic and like to block and tackle. But that’s it. Some adjustments have been made to kind of fix that.

And some of these younger kids have been given everything and never had to work for it. I’d say most of the seniors, albeit not as talented as previous classes, have not been given anything. They understand how to work. That being said, you are only as good as your weakest player.

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

This game should really show just how good the Burg's offensive play callers are.

Like everyone has said, Burg needs to get away from the spread and run behind the big tackle Richardson. Horsley and Matthews in the backfield and play smash mouth football. Throw on first down occasionally to keep defenses honest and run, run run!!!!!

Matthews has to get MORE TOUCHES!!!!!!!!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:36 pm This game should really show just how good the Burg's offensive play callers are.

Like everyone has said, Burg needs to get away from the spread and run behind the big tackle Richardson. Horsley and Matthews in the backfield and play smash mouth football. Throw on first down occasionally to keep defenses honest and run, run run!!!!!

25 carries for Mathews
20 for Horsley
10 passes
20 carries for other backs should do it

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Poo Bear wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:47 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:36 pm This game should really show just how good the Burg's offensive play callers are.

25 carries for Mathews
20 for Horsley
10 passes
20 carries for other backs should do it
Good recipe for success

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

I agree with the run first like you all are talking about! It would be nice if the could get in a flex type formation so they could use more ball carriers and that adds more blockers. 14 and 7 might both need to be on the field at the same time because they both bring athletic players into the formula. That option type run first offense is very dangerous because as we see all the teams that run it give people problems. The run/pass balance will need to be somewhat close. Screens and passes to TE are all strengths of Burg that can be ran out of that style offense
Last edited by fox_40 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

fox_40 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:41 pm I agree with the run first like you all are talking about! It would be nice if the could get in a flex type formation so they could use more ball carriers and that adds more blockers. 14 and 7 might both need to on the field at the same time because they both bring athletic players into the formula. That option type run first offense is very dangerous because as we see all the teams that run it give people problems. The run/pass balance will need to be somewhat close. Screens and passes to TE are all strengths of Burg that can be ran out of that style offense
This game will be won for burg by its big line and 2 senior backs. Get the line firing off play after play bringing the leather to the defense and pound those senior backs behind them down hill all evening . This isn’t a game to get cute with a bunch of underclassmen. Get ruby some touches also , jet sweeps bubble screens ect .

Return to “Football”