Federal Hocking Cancels Season

Ground Buck
All Conference

Re: Federal Hocking Cancels Season

Post by Ground Buck »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 pm Doesn’t Fed Hock have one of the top superintendents in Ohio and was only making $50k a year? I’d pay George Wood whatever he wants to keep him. Fed Hock is just way too rural and small. No one in SEO has numbers in football. It’s a dying sport
I didn't realize Fed Hock even had a superintendent until this year. Shows what I know. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Fed Hock's junior high team beat Belpre's last week. This is Belpre's first junior high team in 4 years. I assume that FH has a junior high team every year.

I also assume FH is playing out their junior high schedule. Is that correct?

If they are, what are the numbers at that level? This may be to early but does FH plan on fielding a varsity team next year?

TVC Hocking schools are required to schedule FH IF they have a varsity program next year. I can't remember from the TVC by-laws but doesn't FH have to inform member schools by a certain date if they are not planning on fielding a varsity team next year? This could be an issue since this is the second year in a row they have at least cancelled 1 game. Last year they cancelled 1 game due to injuries if I am not mistaken.

Being down to 13 players is not a safe number to play 11 man football. The powers to be at FH did the right thing but I do feel bad for the boys, especially the seniors.

Scottyboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Scottyboy »

fortdawg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:17 am Scottyboy, the kids were let down by the administration and school.
How many teachers coach?
Who hired all these people who aren't interested in putting in the extra time with the kids?
Imagine you are a kid sitting in a classroom and someone asks a teacher why they aren't coaching.
The teacher then tells them they don't have the time or inclination to stay after school and put in the work it entails.
Why should we expect the student not to learn from modeling the teacher's behavior?
The only teacher who coaches is the golf coach.
They have had coaches that were teachers. The history teacher coached for a few years at the middle school level. When he resigned from coaching, is when a lot, and I mean a lot of their athletes quit when they became a freshman, and never stepped back on the field. They had so much respect for him, they didn't want to play for anyone else. Now, reason he stopped coaching.......His wife passed away a couple years prior. Has 2 children he was raising on his own. Has a farm he has to attend to. So if that sounds like a let down to the kids, where is your heart? He loved those boys. But he had no choice, because he needed to be there for his own children.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

That's one guy and one sport.
How about all the rest?
They have had teachers that coached and they have had winning programs under those men and women.
I'm talking about the present administration and teachers.
Like I said, one coach who's a teacher and that's golf.
The kids see the teachers not involved in sports and those teachers are role models.
My heart is with the kids who wanted to play football and were let down by the school.

Scottyboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Scottyboy »

fortdawg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 pm That's one guy and one sport.
How about all the rest?
They have had teachers that coached and they have had winning programs under those men and women.
I'm talking about the present administration and teachers.
Like I said, one coach who's a teacher and that's golf.
The kids see the teachers not involved in sports and those teachers are role models.
My heart is with the kids who wanted to play football and were let down by the school.
I'll tell you this much. A lot of the coaches are ran off by the parents. A couple years ago, middle school boys basketball team had 2 teachers for their coaches. Parents threw a for the whole season (because their son that was on the court in biddie league was now on the bench). So the parents were relentless and did not stop until they got those coaches out. They were replaced the following year with a coach that had coached there years prior and was very successful, only for him to do one and done. This is the trend at Federal Hocking. The parents are the ones letting the kids down. If a parent doesn't "like" the coach, they will not stop until the coach is out.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I agree, and it is the administration's job to "Protect" those coaches and help them do their jobs free of interference from parents and fans.
You've got an administration that is hostile to sports right now and that will change in a couple of years.
Things will get better then.

dilligaf
S

Federal Hocking jv?

Post by dilligaf »

Federal Hocking have jv team still playing?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Federal Hocking jv?

Post by Steely Dan »

What part of Federal Hocking suspended the remainder of their HS football season don't you understand? They had 13 HS players left in total when they announced that the season was done. Why would you think there would be any type of JV football activity after that announcement?

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Steely Dan wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 pm What part of Federal Hocking suspended the remainder of their HS football season don't you understand? They had 13 HS players left in total when they announced that the season was done. Why would you think there would be any type of JV football activity after that announcement?
I thought i seen them at trimble tonight sorry no need to have a stroke fella.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

dilligaf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 pm
Steely Dan wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 pm What part of Federal Hocking suspended the remainder of their HS football season don't you understand? They had 13 HS players left in total when they announced that the season was done. Why would you think there would be any type of JV football activity after that announcement?
I thought i seen them at trimble tonight sorry no need to have a stroke fella.
That was their middle school update you saw. I saw the same thing. Hopefully the Lancers can get some more interest and field a HS team next year.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

No stroke. The current state of affairs at Fed Hock was not easy on the kids, and after the bashing that has gone on in other threads regarding the football program and how it ended up this way has been difficult to sit here and watch. I've stayed out of it for a reason, and will continue to do so, but for your post like this out of the clear blue with no explanation in your original post as to why you were asking, well, that may explain my disdain for your question to begin with. Were good now, no need for any other discussion.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Steely Dan wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 pm No stroke. The current state of affairs at Fed Hock was not easy on the kids, and after the bashing that has gone on in other threads regarding the football program and how it ended up this way has been difficult to sit here and watch. I've stayed out of it for a reason, and will continue to do so, but for your post like this out of the clear blue with no explanation in your original post as to why you were asking, well, that may explain my disdain for your question to begin with. Were good now, no need for any other discussion.
Have there been any talks about just playing a jv schedule next season to try and build some numbers? With Fed Hock being a charter member of the TVC (along with VC) I always pull for the lancers and respect what they helped us (VC) build..the TVC.

Fields3
Waterboy

Post by Fields3 »

I truly hope they have a jv game that means their trying to rebuild there program! What is wrong with that? Unless they have upper class man playing against freshman I think it is great

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Dundas I agree with you that playing a JV schedule would be the way to go next year.
Give the kids a chance to play kids their age instead of throwing Freshmen to the wolves next year.
Maybe our 3 superintendents will get together and think this is the way to go.
I would suggest that they let the coach do the scheduling and not let whoever thought it was a good idea to put Fort Frye on the schedule of an 0 and thirty something team.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Only suggestion I'd have if playing varsity is to seriously downgrade schedule with teams like Hannan, Montcalm, Hundred, and I'm sure there's several in SEOhio lucky to field a team. Sorry to hear FH is dire straits but I hope the Lancers come back next year with a varsity team.

Return to “Football”