Two OHSAA Football Games End After Violent Incidents

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Two OHSAA Football Games End After Violent Incidents

Post by Poo Bear »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:19 pm As far as your last comment “If I was a ref I would be def be concerned” - OK, I see why you would feel this way but at the same time your concern would be better well-rooted in the fear of being intentionally assaulted (which happens, and where the threats of being assaulted and especially being subjected to verbal abuse happens quite often!) rather than the ‘1 in a million’ chance of being the innocent bystander ref that unfortunately got swept up in the fracas. At the beginning of any season, you have a schedule that you agree to. I’m sure some refs get their schedule and see the occasional game that they personally aren’t thrilled about having but regardless they take it on. Very rarely do I know of refs declining a game and really I think if we do see some refs trying to decline a game (I really doubt it will happen) it’ll come down to them and their associations/assigners. Probably won’t be looked too highly upon by their fellow refs if they keep refusing games at particular schools/leagues and it won’t be a good look if the word gets out that “the refs don’t want the city league games.”
So this referee wasn’t intentional assulted and was just caught up in the brawl ? I was under the assumption that wasn’t the case . Not sure why you keep mentioning “inner city” and still trying to figure out what a “farm boy” team is. Done with this conversation. Have a good day,

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:28 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:19 pm As far as your last comment “If I was a ref I would be def be concerned” - OK, I see why you would feel this way but at the same time your concern would be better well-rooted in the fear of being intentionally assaulted (which happens, and where the threats of being assaulted and especially being subjected to verbal abuse happens quite often!) rather than the ‘1 in a million’ chance of being the innocent bystander ref that unfortunately got swept up in the fracas. At the beginning of any season, you have a schedule that you agree to. I’m sure some refs get their schedule and see the occasional game that they personally aren’t thrilled about having but regardless they take it on. Very rarely do I know of refs declining a game and really I think if we do see some refs trying to decline a game (I really doubt it will happen) it’ll come down to them and their associations/assigners. Probably won’t be looked too highly upon by their fellow refs if they keep refusing games at particular schools/leagues and it won’t be a good look if the word gets out that “the refs don’t want the city league games.”
So this referee wasn’t intentional assulted and was just caught up in the brawl ? I was under the assumption that wasn’t the case . Not sure why you keep mentioning “inner city” and still trying to figure out what a “farm boy” team is. Done with this conversation. Have a good day,
That’s what happens when you choose to assume. Below is a tweet from the horses’ mouth, the reporter for the Columbus Dispatch covering the game who broke the story as he saw it first-hand:
https://twitter.com/blackiepreps/status ... 62849?s=21
Steve Blackledge, Columbus Dispatch wrote: I just got off the phone with Mike Kreemer, the injured referee from the Walnut Ridge-Marion-Franklin game. He his a lot of bruising, a sore knee and a bad headache but otherwise is OK. Let me reiterate that he was upended and trampled in the melee, not attacked.
What led you to assume that he was attacked, exactly?
Last edited by formerfcfan on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:31 pm
That’s what happens when you choose to assume. Below is a tweet from the horses’ mouth, the reporter for the Columbus Dispatch covering the game who broke the story as he saw it first-hand:
Well glad that wasn’t the case. I was at a peewee football game and the 5 referees were alking about this incident and said the ref was assualted and mentioned an incident where a gun was pulled and a ref crawled for safety. I just don’t see refs or umpires have many issues at the events I attend. What area is considered “farm boy” schools ? Curious if I live in one.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Well glad that wasn’t the case. I was at a peewee football game and the 5 referees were alking about this incident and said the ref was assualted and mentioned an incident where a gun was pulled and a ref crawled for safety. I just don’t see refs or umpires have many issues at the events I attend. What area is considered “farm boy” schools ? Curious if I live in one.
I’d say you were at a farm boy school about 44 hours ago

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:39 pm
I’d say you were at a farm boy school about 44 hours ago
Are we a “farm boy” school I92 ? Is that a school district with a farm ? Very intriguing

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Well, the school I mentioned (Oxford Talawanda) as being a “farm boy” school is a district where there are plenty of farms. So, the shoe fits.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Oxford is also the home of Miami (Oh) Univ. Lattes, fraternities, book worms, etc. Not as much manure around as here,lol.

Have gun, will travel
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Paladin wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:41 pm Oxford is also the home of Miami (Oh) Univ. Lattes, fraternities, book worms, etc. Not as much manure around as here,lol.
Lmao that district is 138 square miles. Encapsulates the land between the Ohio-Indiana border, up to Hueston Woods and the area east of Oxford. Plenty of farms.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Paladin wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:41 pm Oxford is also the home of Miami (Oh) Univ. Lattes, fraternities, book worms, etc. Not as much manure around as here,lol.
So it’s not a “farm boy” school ? It’s more of a “book worm ” school ? Sorry I’m bad at this putting labels on people.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I think all officials should have to go through a mandatory self defense course along with 90 days of mma training before getting their license. Or they should get to wear helmets

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

The only thing that will stop this is the individual schools banning parents and players who brawl.
This is not just an inner city problem.
I remember a MVL team where the coach was punched by one of his own fans and another TVC basketball game that banned parents and fans and only allowed players, coaches, refs, and administrators.
I remember another TVC football game that was called at halftime over a brawl.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yappi posted the video. It looked like a normal late hit pushing and shoving

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:40 pm Yappi posted the video. It looked like a normal late hit pushing and shoving
I don’t think that was the fight. I believe the one in the video posted on Yappi is the initial scuffle that preceded the larger, game-ending one. I don’t believe there is any video of the second brawl that has been posted publicly.

Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

Is there a link to a news article on the incidents?

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

It’s a easy solution start pressing criminal charges on the players and suspension of team activities for a year I never understood why if you assault someone during a game nothing is ever done about it

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Izladoom wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:15 pm It’s a easy solution start pressing criminal charges on the players and suspension of team activities for a year I never understood why if you assault someone during a game nothing is ever done about it
I was informed it wasn’t an assault. The players had a bench clearing brawl and the referee was injured by accident. Wasn’t targeted.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 pm
Izladoom wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:15 pm It’s a easy solution start pressing criminal charges on the players and suspension of team activities for a year I never understood why if you assault someone during a game nothing is ever done about it
I was informed it wasn’t an assault. The players had a bench clearing brawl and the referee was injured by accident. Wasn’t targeted.
Yeah I know the ref wasn’t assaulted but what about the players assaulting each other if you get into a fight like that anywhere else you would be arrested

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Izladoom wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:35 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 pm
Yeah I know the ref wasn’t assaulted but what about the players assaulting each other if you get into a fight like that anywhere else you would be arrested
No clue , the fact that two teams full of high school athletes deciding to forget the game and duke it out wasn’t really discussed , but I was informed it happens at “farm boy schools” too. So I guess nothing.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:56 pm
So it’s not a “farm boy” school ? It’s more of a “book worm ” school ? Sorry I’m bad at this putting labels on people.
Poo, labels are stereotyped a lot as we all know. I was born and raised in SEO & WV, went in the military and travelled to 4 continents and 12 countries. I was always pretty good in US history and geography and even the guys I was in the military with would seriously ask me what part of Virginia was West Virginia or if I mentioned SEO they would ask, is that close to Cincinnati ? I've been in c-bus for decades now and there are a lot of older people and kids that have no clue about southern Ohio because they've never been outside of urban areas for any length of time. Farm boys, country boys, river rats and hilljack's are used constantly up here for anybody South of I-70 and not in a metropolitan area. It's hilarious to me sometimes but when they are serious it scares me :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:02 pm They use both at the state championships in Canton.
They go through those at the Convo and guns have been found each year since it started. The situation in Toledo was not a gun fired at the field but a near by neighborhood. The situation in Columbus is much more severe, and people here and other sites on social media say officials need thicker skin, that is until someone gets hospitalized

Return to “Football”