Oak Hill 14 - 27 Waverly

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly (7-2, 3-1) @ Oak Hill (5-4, 3-1)

Post by smurray »

Railroadn wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 pm
Jack Sparrow wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:01 pm
toast wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:09 am I think some people are missing the boat on this game.

Not only did Oak Hill beat Minford, Valley and Portsmouth West; they beat all three of those teams on the road. They never gave up more than 16 points in any of those games. They've also won three out of their last four games and clearly have momentum.

If that's not enough, for all practical purposes this is a playoff game for Oak Hill. If they win they're in, if they loose they're staying home. And of course senior night. Going to be one fired up Oak Hill team, you can count on that.

This game makes me nervous. Waverly was ready to play against Minford last Friday. Going to take the same effort and desire. Go Tigers!!
You might be on to something

100% agree with this ^^^ Tigers need to bring their "A" game. This is a playoff game for the Oaks.
Shanks’ condition is a question mark as he was helped off the field late in the game against Minford. If he is able to go Waverly would love to jump out quick and get him out of there on their own terms. If he isn’t able to go Waverly is a totally different team.
This game is HUGE for both teams as Waverly is playing for a home in week one of the playoffs while Oak Hill is playing for a playoff birth on Senior night.

Waverly cannot and MUST NOT overlook the Oaks and better be FOCUSED and PREPARED.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Trap game for Waverly. Oak Hill has SO MUCH to play for and will be determined to win this game for many reasons already stated. Obviously, this game is a big one for Waverly as well, if they win they are virtually guaranteed a home playoff game. I know people within the Waverly community have assumed and already stated that the Tigers will be hosting week 11, but those people do not understand that they must win Friday to make that happen and they must not overlook the Oaks. I don't foresee the coaching staff for Waverly allowing the players to be anything but focused on Oak Hill. I think the Unioto game taught them something that has helped shape this team into who they are at this time, and they haven't taken anyone lightly since.

It looks like Waverly's run D will be tested heavily yet again in this one. They have improved throughout the season, but they must continue to get better this week. Hopefully the Tigers are able to wrap up a little better than they did against burg, they seemed to have done a little better job against Minford. With the Oaks not being much of a threat to beat you with the pass, I think it will be a little easier to defend. I know the Oaks will throw a pass here and there, but as long as Waverly plays disciplined football they should be ok.

As far as the offense goes for Waverly, it's always a week to week thing depending on who is available. I believe whoever plays on Friday can still get the job done as long as the Tigers don't make too many mistakes. Would like to see Waverly get a decent lead in the first half and get some guys some rest for the playoffs, but I won't be shocked if those one goes down to the 4th quarter.

I believe Oak Hills best chance at winning is playing how burg did against Waverly. If they keep the ball on the ground and can sustain drives to limit Waverly's possessions, Oak Hill will have a chance to pull the upset.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

This Waverly team has improved defensively as the season has went on. Many people may disagree but i believe this is the best offensive line I've seen at Waverly since 1989. Good offensive line plus quality Quarterback,receivers,and running back + good offensive scheme equals playoff run! I believe this team is peaking at the right time and i predict the best playoff run since 1989. It's all about timing, peaking at the right time, and strength of region. If the defense can stiffen up a little more i believe this team stands a great chance to still be playing during the 3rd week of playoffs.

Waverlyfan1990
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyfan1990 »

What Region is Waverly playing in now what is some of the teams in our region with them.. And What division are we

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Waverlyfan1990 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:43 am What Region is Waverly playing in now what is some of the teams in our region with them.. And What division are we

D4 Region 15
1. Licking Valley 9-0
2. Indian Valley 8-1
3. Waverly 7-2
4. John Glenn 7-2
5. Gallipolis 8-1
6. St. Clairsville 7-2
7. Heath 7-2
8. Bloom Carroll 7-2

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Imo Licking Valley is the heavy favorite to win the region but Waverly is capable of beating anyone else in the region. If the Tigers can avoid Licking Valley the 1st 2 rounds they could very possibly be playing for a regional championship.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:05 pm This Waverly team has improved defensively as the season has went on. Many people may disagree but i believe this is the best offensive line I've seen at Waverly since 1989. Good offensive line plus quality Quarterback,receivers,and running back + good offensive scheme equals playoff run! I believe this team is peaking at the right time and i predict the best playoff run since 1989. It's all about timing, peaking at the right time, and strength of region. If the defense can stiffen up a little more i believe this team stands a great chance to still be playing during the 3rd week of playoffs.
The offensive line is very good, one reason Shoemaker has been able to rush for over 1,800 yards, going for 2,000 Friday. You can also look at it as Shoemaker makes the offensive line look good. A ton of his yards have come after first contact, he makes people miss and he drags would be tacklers many yards... The thing about the offensive line no Seniors start. This group is going to be very very good next year. I think that is great timing - a good younger line with Shoemaker to block for, gaining valuable experience for next year when they are older & better blocking for someone not quite as skilled as Shoe.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

No offense to the Oaks, but if this is a trap game in week 10, then the Tigers don't deserve to play week 11. This is by far the weakest region we've been in...probably ever. I wouldn't put this team in the top 10 teams to play at Waverly, but I think they have a chance to make some playoff noise if Shanks stays healthy.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 am No offense to the Oaks, but if this is a trap game in week 10, then the Tigers don't deserve to play week 11. This is by far the weakest region we've been in...probably ever. I wouldn't put this team in the top 10 teams to play at Waverly, but I think they have a chance to make some playoff noise if Shanks stays healthy.
I agree with your statement about a trap game. Week 10 should be no trap games.
Not sure about this team not being a top 10 Waverly team. With Shanks 100% they could be, with Shanks at the % he is, probably not. So much Shanks cannot physically do with the injury he has. But, even at 60% he can make the decisions and throws no one else can. He’s only thrown 1 INT the entire season which is incredible to me knowing the injury he is playing with.
I believe Waverly can win the first round game, especially if at home, and possibly a second round game if Shanks can play. They would meet Licking Valley in the 3rd round and we all know they are a different beast altogether.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:05 pm This Waverly team has improved defensively as the season has went on.
Not sure I would agree with that statement after giving up 64 points in the past 2 weeks and with an average of 25 ppg allowed on the season. The offensive line and RB are their strong suits, but defensively they need to tighten up to win a playoff game.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

smurray wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:40 am
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 am No offense to the Oaks, but if this is a trap game in week 10, then the Tigers don't deserve to play week 11. This is by far the weakest region we've been in...probably ever. I wouldn't put this team in the top 10 teams to play at Waverly, but I think they have a chance to make some playoff noise if Shanks stays healthy.
I agree with your statement about a trap game. Week 10 should be no trap games.
Not sure about this team not being a top 10 Waverly team. With Shanks 100% they could be, with Shanks at the % he is, probably not. So much Shanks cannot physically do with the injury he has. But, even at 60% he can make the decisions and throws no one else can. He’s only thrown 1 INT the entire season which is incredible to me knowing the injury he is playing with.
I believe Waverly can win the first round game, especially if at home, and possibly a second round game if Shanks can play. They would meet Licking Valley in the 3rd round and we all know they are a different beast altogether.
Yes, IF he was healthy maybe, but he is not. That's why I said what I did. I think Shoe is probably the best we've had in the backfield...his game travels in any era. I think Shanks is in the top 5 QB's our school has ever had...feel so bad that he hasn't been healthy. His toughness has been impressive to watch.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The weather is nasty right now but it should NOT be a factor come Friday night. Sunshine welcomes the day with a high of 47 in the village of Oak Hill. It will be colder than other games but not “freezing”. Playoff weather to get used to....

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

4thgoal wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:29 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:05 pm This Waverly team has improved defensively as the season has went on.
Not sure I would agree with that statement after giving up 64 points in the past 2 weeks and with an average of 25 ppg allowed on the season. The offensive line and RB are their strong suits, but defensively they need to tighten up to win a playoff game.

Last 2 weeks Waverly has played 2 of the best 3 teams they've played this season. They would've gave up a lot more if they hadn't improved as the season went along. Burg and Minford are pretty good offensively and burg has gotten a lot better since they made the QB change.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

I think your state champion will come from this region, BUT i feel Waverly is definitely capable of beating 5 of the other 6 that are currently in the top 8. St.Clairsville concerns me. They are usually good even in their down years, and have a strong football tradition. On paper Licking Valley is untouchable in this region, and possibly in all of D4.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:32 pm
I think your state champion will come from this region, BUT i feel Waverly is definitely capable of beating 5 of the other 6 that are currently in the top 8. St.Clairsville concerns me. They are usually good even in their down years, and have a strong football tradition. On paper Licking Valley is untouchable in this region, and possibly in all of D4.
I agree with Waverly having favorable matchups in their region however Wyoming and Clinton-Massie are still juggernauts in DIV and the DIV state champ will probably be from the region a Waverly just moved from

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 pm
4thgoal wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:29 pm

Last 2 weeks Waverly has played 2 of the best 3 teams they've played this season. They would've gave up a lot more if they hadn't improved as the season went along. Burg and Minford are pretty good offensively and burg has gotten a lot better since they made the QB change.
64 in two games is skewed a bit by 42 coming in one game against Wheelersburg. I agree the defense has “improved” but still not a great defense by any stretch. Giving up 42 to Wheelersburg was unacceptable. Holding Athens to 27, Amanda to 13, Minford to 22 was decent. Giving up 41 to Unioto and 42 to Wheelersburg not good.
This game will tell us how Waverly’s defense will adjust to a power running team. It’s no secret Oak Hill will line up in power run football formation and try to pound it down our throat. Waverly MUST stop that.....

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:45 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:32 pm
I agree with Waverly having favorable matchups in their region however Wyoming and Clinton-Massie are still juggernauts in DIV and the DIV state champ will probably be from the region a Waverly just moved from
I agree...I would want no part of Massie this year.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

big game for both sides oak Hill fighting for playoffs and Waverly fighting to maintain home field in the first round
Waverly 44
Oak Hill 13

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

6yrd TD run Shoemaker

Waverly 7
Oak hill 0

6:34 1st

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

21yrd TD pass Shanks to Morrison. Kick no good

Waverly 13
Oak hill 0

2:05 1st

Return to “Football”