Ironton Vs Spring Valley WV?

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton Vs Spring Valley WV?

Post by Dragon70 »

Blitz wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:12 am
Paulcrew wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Those days are long in the past with even further consolidation happening in Wva.
I think scrimmaging Jackson and maybe Spring Valley would be good ideas. I’d also like to see Itonton continue to schedule schools like this on the junior high and JV level.
If Ironton would move to a smaller conference like the SOC, that would give more non conference options, maybe they could take on a game like Spring Valley.
Burg plays Spring Valley and Cabell Midland in Freshman ball. Great games for us. I would think this would be a good idea for Ironton as well.
Ironton did play Spring Valley in freshman football this year and beat them pretty bad 34-0 I think and Burg beat Valley 20-14 at Valley which was a good game and Ironton put it on Burg I believe but Burg has two excellent freshman that didn't play.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

An interesting rematch to watch this Friday night would be Russell @ Ashland, 2nd round playoff action in case anyone is missing a Friday night game

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

14U wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:06 pm Spring Valley was built in the 90’s with three school joining. It took awhile to get things going there because those 3 schools were rivals and putting them together took time. The 3?were Buffalo, ceredo conova , and another. All tough small schools in WV. Portsmouth and Ironton played spring valley until the 2000’s as both joined conferences and went away from Ky and WV schools.
Vinson was the third school and your correct they were very fierce rivals and a lot of kids transferred to Wayne which helped assist them in many state "aa" titles cause they didn't want to play with past rivals. But this decade they seem to be coming together and instead of losing kids they are gaining kids by transfers coming in and have a very solid program and consists mostly of 1-2 sport athletes that lift a lot of weights in the winter while others are playing basketball.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

14U, That Dupont team also happened to have LB Bobby Howard who was later Captain at Notre Dame

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Dragon70 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Those days are long in the past with even further consolidation happening in Wva.
I think scrimmaging Jackson and maybe Spring Valley would be good ideas. I’d also like to see Itonton continue to schedule schools like this on the junior high and JV level.
If Ironton would move to a smaller conference like the SOC, that would give more non conference options, maybe they could take on a game like Spring Valley.
Burg plays Spring Valley and Cabell Midland in Freshman ball. Great games for us. I would think this would be a good idea for Ironton as well.
Ironton did play Spring Valley in freshman football this year and beat them pretty bad 34-0 I think and Burg beat Valley 20-14 at Valley which was a good game and Ironton put it on Burg I believe but Burg has two excellent freshman that didn't play.
Attachments
13CDB0B6-CC09-481B-A19C-E5EE1120CA4C.jpeg

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
SEOP2001
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOP2001 »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 am
SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 am No disrespect to Ironton. You have a really good football team. But SV is a totally different level of football based on basic numbers. SV would be a larger D1 program in Ohio, I would think. Most years, I’d imagine Cabell Midland, SV, and Huntington High (down this year) would just be too much for the Tigers.
By numbers you could be correct. Curious to see their teams play Cleveland ST. Edwards , ST. Iggy , or St. X
I’m sure all those St Schools’ talent level is very high, picking and choosing talent as private schools. Not sure what that has to do with Ironton playing.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

Seop pretty sure he was talking about the WV schools.

SEOP2001
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOP2001 »

OVCFAN83 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:53 am
SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 am No disrespect to Ironton. You have a really good football team. But SV is a totally different level of football based on basic numbers. SV would be a larger D1 program in Ohio, I would think. Most years, I’d imagine Cabell Midland, SV, and Huntington High (down this year) would just be too much for the Tigers.
By numbers you could be correct. Curious to see their teams play Cleveland ST. Edwards , ST. Iggy , or St. X
They would be D2 in Ohio.
Looking at the numbers, SV (1100) would be a large D2 in Ohio. Both CAbell Midland (2600) and Huntington High (1700)would be D1.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Dragon70 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:19 pm

wasnt sure if you played them or not. Cabell would be a good pick up as well they dressed 30 or so and its a good game. i think burg won this year. hard to find freshman games these days

buckeyes3645
Waterboy

Post by buckeyes3645 »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm
kantucky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:46 pm What do you all think? think it would be a good one to add to the schedule in the future. They're making a lot of noise. They THROTTLED Ashland, Kentucky 35 - 0 this year.

Not that long ago, people in southern Ohio mocked Kentucky and WV football but lately, they've been some of the toughest of opponents and offer a great challenge
I assume the “mocking” happened the year Ironton beat Dupont 42-6 and Coal Grove beat Buffalo Wayne. Dupont went on to win the AAA State title and Buffalo won the AA title.
Neither Ironton or Coal Grove won titles in Ohio

My memory is a little foggy on it but i think in 1992 ironton beat Dupont 35-0 at ironton. That Dupont team had senior Eric Moss (Randy Moss brother) that went to Ohio State and later went to Minnesota, and freshman Randy Moss. That team only had the 1 loss to ironton going into the state championship game vs Capitol W.V. and lost 14-12 to the Cougars.
In 1993 ironton beat Dupont at Dupont 27-8 with Duponts only touchdown being scored by Randy Moss on a hand off to Moss when he was in motion. That was Duponts only loss that season as they beat Capitol Cougars 28-7 in the state championship game.
1992 Dupont team didn't have Eric Moss, Randy Moss was a soph, they lost 3 games that year, beat Brooke 36-7 in the championship game

1993 Dupont team beat capital 29-3 in the championship game

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

And the crickets are still chirping..........

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 pm
I’m sure all those St Schools’ talent level is very high, picking and choosing talent as private schools. Not sure what that has to do with Ironton playing.
Those teams should pound Ironton , like to see them
Play Ohio teams with same number of students.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

not sure they would though, but number wise, yes they should poo. I absolutely agree on that.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

kantucky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:46 pm What do you all think? think it would be a good one to add to the schedule in the future. They're making a lot of noise. They THROTTLED Ashland, Kentucky 35 - 0 this year.

Not that long ago, people in southern Ohio mocked Kentucky and WV football but lately, they've been some of the toughest of opponents and offer a great challenge
Congrats to those schools pushing 1600-2000 kids want to play a school with 400ish.

Why doesn't Spring Valley go play Clv St Ignatius, let us know how good they really are. Don't want the big catholic schools, go play Pickerington Central or Mentor. You think because SV had a d1 kid on the team it makes you legit? MC had three kids in the top 300 on their team, just in the senior class. Two to Ohio State and one to Michigan State.

Congrats you're comparing schools three to five times the size of Ironton. Didn't Huntington High go play Moller late 90's, and Moller beat them to death?

WV High School football overall is a joke. Take Spring Valley and put them in D4 Ohio football, they'd have a hard time making it past the first round. Ohio football is a different animal.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

Cleveland ST. Edwards , ST. Iggy , or St. X are D1 powerhouses. They pound on each other, so sure they would pound D5 Ironton. Ironton has played in past seasons the best teams statewide in their division,and good programs from Ky and WV. Ironton's athletic director/coach at the time told me back in the late 80's Cincinnati Elder wanted to schedule Ironton. He turned it down due to the size difference.

SEOP2001
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOP2001 »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Was someone questioning those D1 programs and their quality of play? I thought the discussion was concerning Ironton playing Cabell County schools. Somehow it got turned into Wv or Ky schools playing D1 private Saint schools in Cleveland or Cincinnati. Those are elite programs who recruit anyone they want.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Was someone questioning those D1 programs and their quality of play? I thought the discussion was concerning Ironton playing Cabell County schools. Somehow it got turned into Wv or Ky schools playing D1 private Saint schools in Cleveland or Cincinnati. Those are elite programs who recruit anyone they want.
I think the point is just comparing enrollment sizes

Those W.V. teams are big districts with huge enrollments

Sure they would beat up D3-D5 Ohio schools .

I would be interested to see those W.V. schools playing similar size Ohio schools with good football traditions

SEOP2001
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOP2001 »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 pm

I would be interested to see those W.V. schools playing similar size Ohio schools with good football traditions
I agree. It would be interesting to see. This year, CM might compete. Huntington High definitely wouldn’t this year. SV I don’t know. I would guess the best game would come from that big school up in the Eastern Panhandle that usually wins the state championship- can’t remember the name right now but are usually nationally ranked too.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Paulcrew wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm

I assume the “mocking” happened the year Ironton beat Dupont 42-6 and Coal Grove beat Buffalo Wayne. Dupont went on to win the AAA State title and Buffalo won the AA title.
Neither Ironton or Coal Grove won titles in Ohio

My memory is a little foggy on it but i think in 1992 ironton beat Dupont 35-0 at ironton. That Dupont team had senior Eric Moss (Randy Moss brother) that went to Ohio State and later went to Minnesota, and freshman Randy Moss. That team only had the 1 loss to ironton going into the state championship game vs Capitol W.V. and lost 14-12 to the Cougars.
In 1993 ironton beat Dupont at Dupont 27-8 with Duponts only touchdown being scored by Randy Moss on a hand off to Moss when he was in motion. That was Duponts only loss that season as they beat Capitol Cougars 28-7 in the state championship game.
Giorgio, I’ll defer to
you. I had all of that past information at one time in life. I loaned my info out but never got it back. Either way, I know the year Dupont won a state title, so to Buffalo Wayne (now 1/3 Spring Valley). Coal grove beat that team and i think it was in wayne county. Larry McCloud if I remember correctly was a very good player on that Buffalo team.

Did Larry McCloud play at Marshall?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 pm

I agree. It would be interesting to see. This year, CM might compete. Huntington High definitely wouldn’t this year. SV I don’t know. I would guess the best game would come from that big school up in the Eastern Panhandle that usually wins the state championship- can’t remember the name right now but are usually nationally ranked too.
I think it's Martinsburg that usually thumps Spring Valley in the WVHSAA playoffs...

Return to “Football”