2020 Football Season

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by formerfcfan »

Hearing some trepidation and concerns up here near Columbus. Nothing direct from the capitol or OHSAA, but a source at another program anticipates that “Week 1” could get lopped off the schedule. The State is becoming very concerned about rising case counts in the cities and metropolitan areas along with concerns from multiple health departments about CDC recommended guidelines being largely ignored in their areas.

This is obviously a fluid situation, but expect Lt. Gov Husted to make “recommendations” on the return to interscholastic play for the month of August possibly as soon as Wednesday.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

This needs repeated. High school sports will no longer exist if they don’t play this year. Hopefully we find a way, whether it be a shorter season or what not because it will be years before it happens again.

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 pm
pistol wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:59 pm NBC interviewed 5 medical folks who were specializing in covid 19 studies and they all said they would send their children back to school with no reservations.
There's not a consensus in the medical community on this.
At least there was a consensus with these 5 doctors. I'm just shocked NBC reported something positive, for a change.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

This needs said - sports will continue even if a season is missed because of a pandemic. Woe is us, the sky is falling. Life goes on and so will sports if a season is missed.

Have gun, will travel
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I wouldn't cancel the season. Do away with the play offs and allow schools to open and start the season in the last week of September. If you are scheduled to play a out of state school that hasn't changed their schedule that game would be called off. Now starting school in late August would allow you to fill that game if you can.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 am This needs said - sports will continue even if a season is missed because of a pandemic. Woe is us, the sky is falling. Life goes on and so will sports if a season is missed.
And when will that be Puxatawny Phil?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 am This needs repeated. High school sports will no longer exist if they don’t play this year. Hopefully we find a way, whether it be a shorter season or what not because it will be years before it happens again.
Quit crying that the sky is falling. High School sports will be around if kids can't play sports this year. The OHSAA will recover and sports will carry on.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

enigmaax wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm
Blitz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:34 pm No one added anything. The fact is “herd immunity “ is BS.

Those screaming for football have nothing to fall back on. Be my guest - no masks, no social distancing, herd immunity,etc.

Now, most of us, the vast majority, will follow, science, doctors, immunologists, medical researchers and epidemiologists for our health. And then there are the bull$h!tters screaming for football ignoring that following the Orange one.

Good luck.
but you just said NOBODY knows Pal .... which is it???
Are those people arguing here because they really think football is going to happen on any level or is it just because they don’t want Paladin to be right?

Like, are you guys really not able to separate what you want and what reasonable decision-makers will ultimately decide, given the evidence and trends that are readily accessible?
For some reason you just assume since I call Paladin out on his continuous lies and politically motivated fear mongering that I support having a football season. You ASSumed wrong. I think they should shutdown ALL sports for the year But I do think ALL schools should be open and the parents have the CHOICE to send them or teleschool based on each families situation.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:51 am
wobycat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 am This needs repeated. High school sports will no longer exist if they don’t play this year. Hopefully we find a way, whether it be a shorter season or what not because it will be years before it happens again.
Quit crying that the sky is falling. High School sports will be around if kids can't play sports this year. The OHSAA will recover and sports will carry on.
I’ll ask you the same thing. When? When will it be ok to play if it shuts down?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 am
When people actually listen to the recommendations so cases quit spiking. I agree with you we can control this without shutting down, but the problem is, people aren't capable because they are too selfish and/or stupid.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 am

When people actually listen to the recommendations so cases quit spiking. I agree with you we can control this without shutting down, but the problem is, people aren't capable because they are too selfish and/or stupid.
What does that even mean? There is no cure so when will everyone feel like we can continue? Exactly what number of cases will provide the blanket of security to allow some kids to play a sport.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am

What does that even mean? There is no cure so when will everyone feel like we can continue? Exactly what number of cases will provide the blanket of security to allow some kids to play a sport.
It means when people are willing to actually follow CDC guidelines.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

Lol Ok. Not the answer to my question so I’ll be more clear. Let’s say everyone is following the CDC guidelines. What’s the magical number where we can have organized sports?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

Lol Ok. Not the answer to my question so I’ll be more clear. Let’s say everyone is following the CDC guidelines. What’s the magical number where we can have organized sports?
It's obviously not a matter of "magical number where we 'CAN'", instead whatever benchmark it is that says we won't have football. See: the fact we did not finish basketball and lost spring sports.

Cases are spiking, too many communities are letting their guard down. This is on us, Ohio. Not the governor's office.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I love how it was advocated repeatedly that keeping the cases low, being responsible/vigilant and observing CDC guidelines was the key for sports returning - since March - and four months later we're still having roundabouts and whataboutisms on "do we really need to do this" as Ohio is yet again seeing an increase of cases and a full football season this fall is looking increasingly unlikely by the day.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:43 am
I love how it was advocated repeatedly that keeping the cases low, being responsible/vigilant and observing CDC guidelines was the key for sports returning - since March - and four months later we're still having roundabouts and whataboutisms on "do we really need to do this" as Ohio is yet again seeing an increase of cases and a full football season this fall is looking increasingly unlikely by the day.
Isn't it crazy? Yet people still don't get it. We've blown it. Point blank.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Blitz wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:21 am
enigmaax wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm
Blitz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm

but you just said NOBODY knows Pal .... which is it???
Are those people arguing here because they really think football is going to happen on any level or is it just because they don’t want Paladin to be right?

Like, are you guys really not able to separate what you want and what reasonable decision-makers will ultimately decide, given the evidence and trends that are readily accessible?
For some reason you just assume since I call Paladin out on his continuous lies and politically motivated fear mongering that I support having a football season. You ASSumed wrong. I think they should shutdown ALL sports for the year But I do think ALL schools should be open and the parents have the CHOICE to send them or teleschool based on each families situation.
Well, I asked a couple questions to learn the real stance, which is the opposite of assuming. Also, I quoted your post as the most recent that I saw at the time, but clearly referenced a plurality in my question.

Do I interpret YOUR answer correctly: 1. You agree (with Paladin) that football isn’t going to happen, but 2. You argue with Paladin over separate personal/political differences.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

I’m behind Paladin, he has been right about this pandemic since day one. He’s one of the few That tell it it straight up And Is a bright intelligent mind and dont believe in conspiracy’s, or political agendas. Personally I would stand along side him and follow his advice. Leaders lead and most complain about everything, Like I’m not wearing a mask you can’t make me, I’m going to do what I want go to beach’s, party’s, ball parks, in general anything we want because the health officials say not to do it.We know better it’s all just a big lie, blah blah blah. I’m in Paladins corner 100 percent. And the numbers is showing just that, I hope everyone stays safe, wear a mask, social distance wash hands, take your temp and quarantine if have any of the symptoms. Seems to me a lot grudges being shown here .

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Appears the ACC May become the first of major FBS college teams to cancel the season. This follows on numerous cancellations in D-III, D-II and Ivy and Patriot Leagues in FCS. State by state, public schools are not going to reopen and with it, cancellation of FB.

Despite current activity, I would not be surprised to see Ohio State cancel as well. As the saying goes, LIVES MATTER.

Have gun, will travel
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:49 pm Appears the ACC May become the first of major FBS college teams to cancel the season.
Guess we don't have to worry about tOSU getting sniped by Clemson in January, again.

Return to “Football”