2020 Football Season

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by EasternDspy »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:49 pm Appears the ACC May become the first of major FBS college teams to cancel the season. This follows on numerous cancellations in D-III, D-II and Ivy and Patriot Leagues in FCS. State by state, public schools are not going to reopen and with it, cancellation of FB.

Despite current activity, I would not be surprised to see Ohio State cancel as well. As the saying goes, LIVES MATTER.
You got a link? They just said they are most likely going to a 10 game season where teams would play a home and home with 5 opponents.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

ACC did postpone a media event.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:18 am
Blitz wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:21 am
enigmaax wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Are those people arguing here because they really think football is going to happen on any level or is it just because they don’t want Paladin to be right?

Like, are you guys really not able to separate what you want and what reasonable decision-makers will ultimately decide, given the evidence and trends that are readily accessible?
For some reason you just assume since I call Paladin out on his continuous lies and politically motivated fear mongering that I support having a football season. You ASSumed wrong. I think they should shutdown ALL sports for the year But I do think ALL schools should be open and the parents have the CHOICE to send them or teleschool based on each families situation.
Well, I asked a couple questions to learn the real stance, which is the opposite of assuming. Also, I quoted your post as the most recent that I saw at the time, but clearly referenced a plurality in my question.

Do I interpret YOUR answer correctly: 1. You agree (with Paladin) that football isn’t going to happen, but 2. You argue with Paladin over separate personal/political differences.
no I don't agree with Paladin he just spew's hate and lies with a side order of fear mongering. Horrible human being on this site but i couldn't pick him out of a lineup. But we belong to the same Political party. I actually think there is going to be some kind of a disaster of a season. Which I am against.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Football won’t happen but it should

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 am
wobycat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

It means when people are willing to actually follow CDC guidelines.
Lol Ok. Not the answer to my question so I’ll be more clear. Let’s say everyone is following the CDC guidelines. What’s the magical number where we can have organized sports?
It's obviously not a matter of "magical number where we 'CAN'", instead whatever benchmark it is that says we won't have football. See: the fact we did not finish basketball and lost spring sports.

Cases are spiking, too many communities are letting their guard down. This is on us, Ohio. Not the governor's office.
Ok. Fine. What’s the benchmark that says we won’t have football?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 am
formerfcfan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:43 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 am
When people actually listen to the recommendations so cases quit spiking. I agree with you we can control this without shutting down, but the problem is, people aren't capable because they are too selfish and/or stupid.
I love how it was advocated repeatedly that keeping the cases low, being responsible/vigilant and observing CDC guidelines was the key for sports returning - since March - and four months later we're still having roundabouts and whataboutisms on "do we really need to do this" as Ohio is yet again seeing an increase of cases and a full football season this fall is looking increasingly unlikely by the day.
Isn't it crazy? Yet people still don't get it. We've blown it. Point blank.
Lol. Who’s blown it? Put a percentage on the people that you blame for the increase. Football or not. We can’t shut down society forever. What’s the benchmark?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:53 pm
Paladin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:49 pm Appears the ACC May become the first of major FBS college teams to cancel the season. This follows on numerous cancellations in D-III, D-II and Ivy and Patriot Leagues in FCS. State by state, public schools are not going to reopen and with it, cancellation of FB.

Despite current activity, I would not be surprised to see Ohio State cancel as well. As the saying goes, LIVES MATTER.
You got a link? They just said they are most likely going to a 10 game season where teams would play a home and home with 5 opponents.
I wonder if Paladin puts this much energy in public awareness for Lowe’s and Kroger’s.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I think Paladin just saw ACC cancel ACC Kickoff and he didn’t read he just assumed. Yea the ACC did cancel the ACC kickoff media event. They didn’t cancel the season as of yet.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Saw the ACC media cancellation. There was another article that did not sound promising for the ACC. Trouble is, most see the hand writing on the wall but don’t have the balls to announce it. They will let it go on a little longer, but the season is in doubt and they know it.

Have gun, will travel
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With Florida, Virginia, North and South Carolina, all taking a big jump in Covid-19 deaths and cases, has them thinking seriously about a move to cancel if no improvement going into mid August. It is sort of like a plan B if A doesn't happen. Seems like B wouldn't be a plan if it is to call the season. Sounds like it all depends were covid is in four weeks.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

News today they may have a vaccine available soon not sure if it will be available in time to have a season tho

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Europe flattened the curve and kept it flat .....

🧐🧐🧐

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

I just read where a power 5 Coach says this is not a one year problem, this is going to be a problem for foreseeable future Of years to come. I say by August 1 the picture should be clearer for this season and fall into winter sports will face same dilemma as this football season, sad but the writing is on the wall. Good Luck, Stay Safe, wear your masks, social distance, wash your hands, be mindful of person next to you and think of what you do affects others all around you. These people should be setting a example for the youth of showing that everyone is in this not just they’re little groups. Follow the guidelines by leading by example, not giving the impression of doing what you want all the time.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Not sure if anyone else read this article https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 429626002/ I saw several references to this on twitter last night. A couple interesting quotes from the article

"We really feel it's the school's decision on whether or not they have sports or not, just like every other extracurricular activity. We don't think it's the Ohio High School Athletic Association's place to say 'yea' or 'nay' to sports. Our main focus, as you all know, is on our tournaments and we control those. We really have to seek directions from the governor's office and his team and his medical staff if there's going to be delays in the season, postponements in the season or items put in place where only non-contact sports are permitted during the fall. Then, we have to pivot and look at our different options for moving forward."

"I hate to sound like a broken record, but our main objective sitting here July 14 is to move forward with our regular 10 sports for the fall," Goldring said, "but not be naive if there are other options out there if our plans are derailed."

He didn't consider it headline-worthy but mentioned some movement could be considered if the governor's office delayed fall sports, mandated only non-contact sports or stopped all fall sports.

Using the words "hypothetical" and "potential" to describe such a scenario, Goldring did mention it would be seamless to current summer sports (baseball, softball) to shift into the fall.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

4thgoal wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:51 am Not sure if anyone else read this article https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 429626002/ I saw several references to this on twitter last night. A couple interesting quotes from the article

"We really feel it's the school's decision on whether or not they have sports or not, just like every other extracurricular activity. We don't think it's the Ohio High School Athletic Association's place to say 'yea' or 'nay' to sports. Our main focus, as you all know, is on our tournaments and we control those. We really have to seek directions from the governor's office and his team and his medical staff if there's going to be delays in the season, postponements in the season or items put in place where only non-contact sports are permitted during the fall. Then, we have to pivot and look at our different options for moving forward."

"I hate to sound like a broken record, but our main objective sitting here July 14 is to move forward with our regular 10 sports for the fall," Goldring said, "but not be naive if there are other options out there if our plans are derailed."

He didn't consider it headline-worthy but mentioned some movement could be considered if the governor's office delayed fall sports, mandated only non-contact sports or stopped all fall sports.

Using the words "hypothetical" and "potential" to describe such a scenario, Goldring did mention it would be seamless to current summer sports (baseball, softball) to shift into the fall.
A cautionary tale from South Carolina. The state governor, state school board, state health department, and their equivalent of the OHSAA have ceded much decision making authority to the 46 counties on the "if, when, and how" decisions on back to school and sports. Up to 46 different sets of rules by the local government units simply would make any attempt at a season chaotic at best.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:29 pm Europe flattened the curve and kept it flat .....

🧐🧐🧐
Well they dont have an upcoming election with one party's only hope being tanking the social and economic structure of this great country.

MAGA

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Izladoom wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:04 pm News today they may have a vaccine available soon not sure if it will be available in time to have a season tho
You mean like the flu vaccine? The only people that I know who get the flu are people who got the vaccine. Ive never had a flu vaccine in 10 years and never had the flu......

Toz15
Waterboy

Post by Toz15 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 am
countywide35 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:29 pm Europe flattened the curve and kept it flat .....

🧐🧐🧐
Well they dont have an upcoming election with one party's only hope being tanking the social and economic structure of this great country.

MAGA
That's why I've emailed the leaders of the DNC and told them to back off all this science stuff. Told them that Dems should side with Trump on reopening everything, then self-quarantine themselves in their homes and reemerge in the fall after everyone was dead. ;)

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 am Hearing some trepidation and concerns up here near Columbus. Nothing direct from the capitol or OHSAA, but a source at another program anticipates that “Week 1” could get lopped off the schedule. The State is becoming very concerned about rising case counts in the cities and metropolitan areas along with concerns from multiple health departments about CDC recommended guidelines being largely ignored in their areas.

This is obviously a fluid situation, but expect Lt. Gov Husted to make “recommendations” on the return to interscholastic play for the month of August possibly as soon as Wednesday.
It appears I was wrong on this.

Doesn't appear to be anything directly related to football coming out today. But, Gov. DeWine moved his daily press briefing to 5:30pm tonight. The speculation is that the state is set to announce the first counties to receive the designation of "Purple." It is likely that Butler and Hamilton Counties (Middletown and Cincinnati) will be the first to have the designation. Purple designation, aka Level 4, is the "stay-at-home" order. It has been suggested that the establishment of "purple" counties will carry their own individual operating procedures and rules set by the state as a part of the return to fall sports and football.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

uh...regarding the "science stuff"...

https://www.redstate.com/michael_thau/2 ... t-us-know/

This whole response is a huge overreaction and largely political.

Return to “Football”