2020 Wheelersburg 42 - 28 Minford

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Re: Week 2 Minford at Burg

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Haven't seen Minford, but it's hard not to believe they won't take a significant step back with the losses from last season. Lewis and Reiser are studs though.

Watching the Wheelersburg/Chillicothe game, I just don't see what others are saying about Wheelersburg. Chillicothe was bad bad. Quarterback and Miller look solid, but they aren't Mathews and Horsely. They tried several backs, of which none would've gotten significant carries for Wheelersburg in the last few years. Line was not getting a push and there's really only 1 receiver that you have to be aware of in Miller. Defensively the Linebacker play was terrible.

This game I think Wheelersburg will have enough speed to contain Minford and will probably out coach Minford. But the game will be close.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

knightruner wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:49 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm It sucks that only parents and students can go. I can’t tell u the last time I missed a game. Let alone a home game
If everyone would have listen to the Doctors back in March and put their mask on you would be watching the football game but no we have people who believe in Dr. Trump you don't need to wear a mask... right!!!! enjoy the game at home on the radio or your computer.
MAGA!!!

Seeyaat7
Waterboy

Post by Seeyaat7 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:04 am Haven't seen Minford, but it's hard not to believe they won't take a significant step back with the losses from last season. Lewis and Reiser are studs though.

Watching the Wheelersburg/Chillicothe game, I just don't see what others are saying about Wheelersburg. Chillicothe was bad bad. Quarterback and Miller look solid, but they aren't Mathews and Horsely. They tried several backs, of which none would've gotten significant carries for Wheelersburg in the last few years. Line was not getting a push and there's really only 1 receiver that you have to be aware of in Miller. Defensively the Linebacker play was terrible.

This game I think Wheelersburg will have enough speed to contain Minford and will probably out coach Minford. But the game will be close.
Lol, First the record the “quarterback’s” name is Gregg and he’s a thousand times better than Horsely was!! Hell the Masters kid was better than Horsley, Lol so let’s not get carried away here! ..and yes, You are correct about Mathews, he was a beast! And far a receivers, Burg has a solid receiving group this year, not just Miller! Both Clark and the Fannin kid are fast and both have great hands!!! So any of them can be dangerous on any given night, Miller’s night just happen to be against Chilli thus far! Yes chilli was terrible so getting an accurate read on how they will do against a very good Minford club is tough, but Burg isn’t one of these “re-build” team...they re-load!! Burg pulls away in second half and getS the W 38- 20.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Chillicothe wasn’t a good d2 or d3 team but saying they were bad bad is dumb statement. As far as not pushing Chillicothe defensive line around, how about we give them some credit. They had two kids over 300 lbs that ate gaps, one which is D1 level. Their linebackers were also pretty good. Chillicothes problem is they don’t work hard but they have plenty of athletes on the field. They aren’t even close to as bad as some think.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

wobycat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:58 am Chillicothe wasn’t a good d2 or d3 team but saying they were bad bad is dumb statement. As far as not pushing Chillicothe defensive line around, how about we give them some credit. They had two kids over 300 lbs that ate gaps, one which is D1 level. Their linebackers were also pretty good. Chillicothes problem is they don’t work hard but they have plenty of athletes on the field. They aren’t even close to as bad as some think.
I agree. Chillicothe is a lot like Portsmouth. They have very good athletes all over the field, they just arent those mean and tough football kids. Put Chillicothe in the SOC and they would fair very well most years. Probably a top 2 or 3 team every year. And 300 lbs is a big boy in high school. Even if pure fat, that is still 300 lbs to move around.

I think Minford will have the best athlete and best football player on the field in Vogelsong Lewis......but like I said, if the line cant get off the ball and keep Burg's D line from being in the backfield all night, it will be tough for Lewis to manage the game.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

knightruner wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:49 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm It sucks that only parents and students can go. I can’t tell u the last time I missed a game. Let alone a home game
If everyone would have listen to the Doctors back in March and put their mask on you would be watching the football game but no we have people who believe in Dr. Trump you don't need to wear a mask... right!!!! enjoy the game at home on the radio or your computer.
MIC DROP!!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Seeyaat7 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:05 am Lol, First the record the “quarterback’s” name is Gregg and he’s a thousand times better than Horsely was!! Hell the Masters kid was better than Horsley, Lol so let’s not get carried away here! ..and yes, You are correct about Mathews, he was a beast! And far a receivers, Burg has a solid receiving group this year, not just Miller! Both Clark and the Fannin kid are fast and both have great hands!!! So any of them can be dangerous on any given night, Miller’s night just happen to be against Chilli thus far! Yes chilli was terrible so getting an accurate read on how they will do against a very good Minford club is tough, but Burg isn’t one of these “re-build” team...they re-load!! Burg pulls away in second half and getS the W 38- 20.
I'm guessing you're one of those people that put a exclamation mark on every text. Lol

Get upset all you want. This team isn't bether than last year, etc lIke posters said. They are still good team. They will loose to Waverly but may win the rest.

But Covid changing the schedule helped this team dodge very embarrassing games against Ironton and Jackson.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

every year some kid gets on here talking about how how This Is The Year! only to lose just like 99.9% of the games against Burg. I guess eventually they will be right but not this year or the next 5

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I am the most optimistic fan of burg every year. I thought burg would have have faired better last year but I will admit burg last year wasn’t as good as I had hoped. Having said that, this burg team is much better than last years team at this point. Does that mean they may not be as good as I think? Sure but right now they look better.

Jackson and ironton just have really good teams right now. Every school ends up with them every now and then

The last 20 years

Burg
Ironton
Valley
Jackson
Oak hill
Waverly
Minford

All have had a season where they have had the chance or did win it all.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:04 am Haven't seen Minford, but it's hard not to believe they won't take a significant step back with the losses from last season. Lewis and Reiser are studs though.

Although the offense wasn't running as sufficiently as I had hoped, I thought MIller and Gregg did as good they could, along with good play from Fannin and Clark at receiver and on defense. As the weeks progress and playing time increased, I look for Gregg and Miller to be two standouts in the area with more potential then Matthews and Horsley had.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

IMO, at no point in last years season did Wheelersburgs offense look as smooth or fluid as they have in the first scrimmage and week one vs Chillicothe. (I know they aren't a GOOD team, but I'm not buying that Chillicothe is as bad as everyone is saying). It all seemed so forced last year but they were bailed out simply by having two really good athletes in Mathews and Horsley. They may not have that gamebreaking athlete that they have had the past few years, but they have a lot of very solid football players and good athletes. Sometimes it's just as important to have a team that meshes well as it is having superior athletes. I just think it's hard to argue that they don't look improved on both sides of the ball at this point.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I was really impressed with the Lattimore twins. For sophomores, they both have great field vision and will be a factor in this game as well as the rest of their careers.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:55 am IMO, at no point in last years season did Wheelersburgs offense look as smooth or fluid as they have in the first scrimmage and week one vs Chillicothe. (I know they aren't a GOOD team, but I'm not buying that Chillicothe is as bad as everyone is saying). It all seemed so forced last year but they were bailed out simply by having two really good athletes in Mathews and Horsley. They may not have that gamebreaking athlete that they have had the past few years, but they have a lot of very solid football players and good athletes. Sometimes it's just as important to have a team that meshes well as it is having superior athletes. I just think it's hard to argue that they don't look improved on both sides of the ball at this point.
burgs offense was not very good last year
its early but I think this team has the potential to be much better than last year
Qb has been here a month and looks pretty good to me and will only get better each week

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

After watching the minford game through stream. They will handle any passing game on defense well that’s their strong suit as Risner is one of the best ball hawking safeties in the area but they will struggle against the power run game. You can tell this oline and Dline had 2 weeks off from a positive test during 2-days. I think it will be 42-21 burg just based on the trenches.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:54 pm After watching the minford game through stream. They will handle any passing game on defense well that’s their strong suit as Risner is one of the best ball hawking safeties in the area but they will struggle against the power run game. You can tell this oline and Dline had 2 weeks off from a positive test during 2-days. I think it will be 42-21 burg just based on the trenches.
Great point about the 2 week layoff for Minford. No way that doesn’t effect their conditioning, especially for the linemen. With Burg typically one of the best-conditioned teams in the area (and looked like it against Chilli), that may play a big factor in this one.*

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am I was really impressed with the Lattimore twins. For sophomores, they both have great field vision and will be a factor in this game as well as the rest of their careers.

I'm surprised this is the first mention of them as they both had solid games. With them only being Sophomores and this being there first varsity experience, they will only get better as the season progresses and will be big contributors the rest of the way. By the time they both graduate I believe they will be very dominant players on the offensive side of the ball. Looking forward to watching them play the next three years.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:56 pm
4thgoal wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am I was really impressed with the Lattimore twins. For sophomores, they both have great field vision and will be a factor in this game as well as the rest of their careers.

I'm surprised this is the first mention of them as they both had solid games. With them only being Sophomores and this being there first varsity experience, they will only get better as the season progresses and will be big contributors the rest of the way. By the time they both graduate I believe they will be very dominant players on the offensive side of the ball. Looking forward to watching them play the next three years.
They will be very good. One is probably more “varsity” ready with his size. But they both will be great as long as they do the little things to make them better like ball security, being patient in the gaps, etc. but yes they are a talent

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:07 pm
longball wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 pm
knowledge wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:42 am I'll go on record by saying I am willing to pay top dollar for a ticket to this one.
I'm sure there is a student out there who would sell theirs for some extra cash. Apparently some students are able to get tickets but some are not. How that is even close to being fair or makes any sense is beyond me...
Well we are talking about Minford....so.........

As far as the game:

I think both teams will make a lot of mistakes due to being early season and limited reps to this point. Dont know much about Burg this year but if Minfords line can protect Lewis and not have him running for his life all night, it will be a very close game. Lewis and Risner are studs.

Minford's O line and Burgs D line- whoever wins that battle consistently wins the game.

Red I would like to think Minford is foaming at the mouth for this game. Last years games of any indication for this coming weeks game it’s going to be a good one !

Burg is good up front. I think who wins the LOS both sides of the balls And wins the Turnover game; wins the game.

Any chance this game is streamed ?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

fbnut wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:15 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:55 am IMO, at no point in last years season did Wheelersburgs offense look as smooth or fluid as they have in the first scrimmage and week one vs Chillicothe. (I know they aren't a GOOD team, but I'm not buying that Chillicothe is as bad as everyone is saying). It all seemed so forced last year but they were bailed out simply by having two really good athletes in Mathews and Horsley. They may not have that gamebreaking athlete that they have had the past few years, but they have a lot of very solid football players and good athletes. Sometimes it's just as important to have a team that meshes well as it is having superior athletes. I just think it's hard to argue that they don't look improved on both sides of the ball at this point.
burgs offense was not very good last year
its early but I think this team has the potential to be much better than last year
Qb has been here a month and looks pretty good to me and will only get better each week

I agree with that Assessment of Burgs offense last year but to me after the Jackson game last year Burg caught a lot of momentum the 2nd 1/2of season. They definitely looked solid upfront against Chillicothe. Both sides of the ball. And being good upfront wins football games. And sometimes win football games you are not supposed to win.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:02 am I am the most optimistic fan of burg every year. I thought burg would have have faired better last year but I will admit burg last year wasn’t as good as I had hoped. Having said that, this burg team is much better than last years team at this point. Does that mean they may not be as good as I think? Sure but right now they look better.

Jackson and ironton just have really good teams right now. Every school ends up with them every now and then

The last 20 years

Burg
Ironton
Valley
Jackson
Oak hill
Waverly
Minford

All have had a season where they have had the chance or did win it all.

Cat that is Bice run down of solid programs. I know being a Scioto County faithful that Valley is at your 3rd but Valley is no Jackson. You had Jackson teams from 1995 on; Valley Isnt there. No don’t get me wrong. vally is a very nice football program. Beautiful stadium etc. but not as storied and tradition rich as the Ironmen.

Return to “Football”