2020 Valley 10 - 56 Waverly

Tiger78
Waterboy

Re: 2020 Valley 10 - 56 Waverly

Post by Tiger78 »

I have no idea why he was screaming at the refs anyway. They flagged Waverly as much as they possibly could. Had it not been for the 150+ yards of penalties, Waverly would have had a running clock by halftime.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Darren is going to coach hard until the final bell. His Indians were outmatched that night, but he’s teaching those kids lessons on things to come.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I don’t really agree that Waverly “ran up the score” to make it look better or whatever you may think the reason is. For me, I think they wanted to put another score on the board so that way when the second string got put in, Valley didn’t drive down the field and score then the running clock would have been deactivated. And the game would have taken even longer for no reason, the 3rd quarter lasted long enough with all the stoppages that occurred. Just my opinion tho.

Baseball_Dad
Riding the Bench

Post by Baseball_Dad »

Tiger78 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 pm I have no idea why he was screaming at the refs anyway. They flagged Waverly as much as they possibly could. Had it not been for the 150+ yards of penalties, Waverly would have had a running clock by halftime.
With smaller crowds it is very easy to hear some of those conversations. What Coach Crabtree was mad about had nothing to do with flags, but with the disorganized application of spots and penalties. Valley sacked Waverly for a 5-8 yard loss and Waverly was flagged for holding. Valley declined the penalty and the officials spotted the ball at the original line of scrimmage. The umpire was a mess most of the night. I could hear the coaches in the pressbox yelling about it, but it took Valley taking a timeout before the officials corrected it. If I remember right, the majority of Waverly's big penalties took place in the 3rd quarter. The biggest miss I saw by the officials was the 3rd down play at the goaline when Arnett was hit well before the ball arrived. Would have given Valley 3rd and goal from the 1 or 2 and another shot at a TD... Instead they kicked a Field goal.

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 am
MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:30 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 am A few thoughts...First on the game.

I thought Valley competed harder this week than they did last week. Waverly just has too many horses. I lost a little respect for Waverly on Friday. Throwing a 40+ yard TD to your Division 1 prospect with 6 minutes and a running clock is crap. I have zero issues with the final one as the ball was on the 5. But it was also scored by the starting tailback. That one I have no issues with due to the field position. But throwing a fade with a running clock and your stud QB hitting your stud WR is crap. I remember Valley taking a knee the last two minutes at Waverly in 2013 during a 42-0 blowout. Some people just have more respect for the game than others.

Valley's numbers are down as enrollment is down. Valley wants no part of dropping back to D1. We are closing in on D7 but we are a year or two away from competing again. Valley will be fine, just in a down cycle on bodies at the current time.
I never agree with running up the score ever. But to me this season is kind of different take ironton for example they pkay in an awful league but the divison 5 teams they will see in the playoffs will be on a literal whole other level and ironton starters have yet to see the field in the 4th quarter in 3 games neither on of their running backs even have 30 carries in 3 games at some point i feel like you have to get those live reps in with the shortened season

Let's see.....Backing off the last 40 yard TD.....

Shanks was 27-37 for 316 and 4 TD's

Futhey had 8 catches for 127 yards and 4 TD's.

If that isn't plenty of reps, then I do not know what is.

That play call was for nothing other than rubbing it in and making the final look worse than what it was.
As a Tiger fan and big Chris and Darren Crabtree fan, I was disappointed in that decision. I doubt Chris had anything to do with it but as a Waverly fan, I felt it a bit much. If it were back up QB to back up WR on 3rd and long, I'm ok with it but not DI to DI.

Darren Yelling is letting his kids know that you never stop fighting and that crew made EVERYONE want to yell.

Return to “Football”