Division 5 is tough

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Division 5 is tough

Post by formerfcfan »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:47 am
formerfcfan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 am Hard to make sense of Columbus Academy, since frickin’ Ready came out of nowhere and opened a can on them this week.
Does not shock me one bit honestly
I have no idea what to make of that part of the MSL this year, TBH. A team that could surprise a little is Liberty Union, 3-0 and DV.

From the CA-HP game: “HP had back up center, 3rd string guard starting. HP had 4 fumble turnovers within the 1-10 yd line and an INT didn't help. KOR TD called back. #22 has great hands as a WR for Academy. HP had over 300 yds and held them to 181 - just weren't blocking LB's well and turnovers. CA’s LB's were small, but did their job shooting the gaps.”

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Still think Ironton and Ridgewood are the class of D5 in what is presumed to be this year’s Region 19, but there is definitely some teeth in spots 3-8 with D5 playoffs is going to be a monster with Cols Academy, HP, Ready, LU, Amanda and Wheelersburg. One of those six might snipe Ironton or Ridgewood before the elite 8/regional finals.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Maybe it is possible but as long as ironton takes care of the ball and keep the penalties low ridgewood is their only threat i believe. Ironton is just so physical and if they get boggs back they will be even more dangerous

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Last year's d4 Roger Bacon is really, really good offensively. They may be the best in D5

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

There's some really good teams at the top of DV, for me though it's Kirtland until it's taken from them. 5 state championships since 2011, undefeated for 2 straight seasons and currently 3-0 this year, they jumped up into DV last year and some wrote them off as they were a small V school going against some tough big DV schools. Ironton gave them the closest game in the playoffs but that defense for Kirtland still held ironton to 48 yards rushing on 28 carries. Until someone steps up to the plate in the playoffs against Kirtland, come 1 and done time they're my #1 vote.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

[url]]

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

How will teams be seeded? Based off the eye test or Harbin Points?

Shouldn't be points with a limited schedule. SOCII teams have to play good competition every week. Even a team like Valley that will probably go winless in the league is beat Northwest handily is probably better than alot of OVC schools.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:20 am How will teams be seeded? Based off the eye test or Harbin Points?

Shouldn't be points with a limited schedule. SOCII teams have to play good competition every week. Even a team like Valley that will probably go winless in the league is beat Northwest handily is probably better than alot of OVC schools.
Up to coaches voting so there’s no real system

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:54 am
Westfan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:20 am How will teams be seeded? Based off the eye test or Harbin Points?

Up to coaches voting so there’s no real system
Thats all theyre basing the seeds on this year? Geez I wish the rona never came..

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:02 pm Last year's d4 Roger Bacon is really, really good offensively. They may be the best in D5
Dangerous team. The RB is a Mr. Ohio candidate yea? Stud.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:43 pm There's some really good teams at the top of DV, for me though iokt's Kirtland until it's taken from them. 5 state championships since 2011, undefeated for 2 straight seasons and currently 3-0 this year, they jumped up into DV last year and some wrote them off as they were a small V school going against some tough big DV schools. Ironton gave them the closest game in the playoffs but that defense for Kirtland still held ironton to 48 yards rushing on 28 carries. Until someone steps up to the plate in the playoffs against Kirtland, come 1 and done time they're my #1 vote.
Kirtland shoulda been respected right off rip. They play a tougher schedule than 90% of d5 teams routinely. Lotta d2 teams. Even some D1 schools. St ignatius has been a reg season opponent, etc. They aint shy & wanna get it poppin w anybody.

DaWoodSoldier
Riding the Bench

Post by DaWoodSoldier »

SpeedKillz wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:43 pm There's some really good teams at the top of DV, for me though iokt's Kirtland until it's taken from them. 5 state championships since 2011, undefeated for 2 straight seasons and currently 3-0 this year, they jumped up into DV last year and some wrote them off as they were a small V school going against some tough big DV schools. Ironton gave them the closest game in the playoffs but that defense for Kirtland still held ironton to 48 yards rushing on 28 carries. Until someone steps up to the plate in the playoffs against Kirtland, come 1 and done time they're my #1 vote.
Kirtland shoulda been respected right off rip. They play a tougher schedule than 90% of d5 teams routinely. Lotta d2 teams. Even some D1 schools. St ignatius has been a reg season opponent, etc. They aint shy & wanna get it poppin w anybody.
No argument with your take on Kirtland being elite program of D5. They have proven that year after year, but your take on their schedule isn’t accurate. Their schedule is not better than 90 percent of others in the division. Play more D5/ D6/D7 in past several years than bigger schools.(Primarily do to those games being league games) Now after this season moving to bigger side of conference. Scheduling Solon does prove fact that they aren’t scared to play anyone. Kudos to Kirtland

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

DaWoodSoldier wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:44 pm
SpeedKillz wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 pm
No argument with your take on Kirtland being elite program of D5. They have proven that year after year, but your take on their schedule isn’t accurate. Their schedule is not better than 90 percent of others in the division. Play more D5/ D6/D7 in past several years than bigger schools.(Primarily do to those games being league games) Now after this season moving to bigger side of conference. Scheduling Solon does prove fact that they aren’t scared to play anyone. Kudos to Kirtland

Until DeThroned, those boys on top of 5

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironton, unfortunately, can’t make an argument as being the top of D5. Eye test, yes but they’ve not played a complete game yet.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:19 pm Ironton, unfortunately, can’t make an argument as being the top of D5. Eye test, yes but they’ve not played a complete game yet.
No. They have not, and they know it.

That’s the only thing they’ve got that keeps the drive alive to rise & be champs.

Watch Reid’s YouTube interview with The Ohio State University Buckeye Media after the 71-0 torch of CG.

He was not happy & spoke for the team when he said: “they were not happy with their performance against CG. They were tested in the trenches and they had to get back to work, & clean it up in practice & they wouldn’t be happy until they accomplished this”!

Obviously, it continued into this week with the penalties and turnovers with RH.
This reminds me of their play last year at AshLand, and the game prior to it and after the loss in KY.

They’ve got to rise above the spot they’re in & they can do it.
They’re capable of being very very dangerous & explosive & a complete game would show that! They’ve yet to tap into all the offensive weapons they have & I think they will...STILL

Dig deep FighTing Tigers & DONT stop 🛑 believing you CAN!

GoTigersGo!!!

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Kirtland beat D1 Solon 27-7 tonight.. dont know anything about Solon but D1 is D1

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 pm Kirtland beat D1 Solon 27-7 tonight.. dont know anything about Solon but D1 is D1
I watched this game, as did MrFirstTake.

Solon is generally a pretty good D1 team. That said, this year is particularly weird for them as this was only their second game. They had a really shifty running back and a couple athletes at receiver.

The story of Kirtland vs Solon is Kirtland’s D. 335 stack that did an excellent job of shooting gaps and causing problems for Solon’s QB. Great adjustments made after the first drive. The Hornets D swarmed to the football and played sound, assignment football. Great tackling, aided by crashing in on the open field. On offense, Kirtland’s line did a great job. Their QB ran well out of the Stack-I and made great decisions against a 5-3. When Solon would go to four down linemen, they were experiencing a midline crisis at the hands of the Kirtland QB.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Yeah same as last year kirtlands defense is really good i still worry about the sullivan brothers they're both so dangerous on offense #20 the wr makes insane grabs on the regular

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Any word on attendance for playoff games? Or how streaming will be handled if no fans allowed

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:30 am Any word on attendance for playoff games? Or how streaming will be handled if no fans allowed
Probably find a way to stream them on ohsaa.org and charge 10$ per game

Return to “Football”