No Flag?

TrueFan
JV Team

Re: No Flag?

Post by TrueFan »

I was on the opposite side of the field with a pretty good angle on this play. Watching it live, Mastin came in with his head down and it was clearly helmet to helmet. There was no doubt about that.

That said, it was two tough football players trying to make a play. I would caution Mastin on the way he tackles, though. Would hate to see him end up like Ryan Shazier. I know you can't have perfect form tackles on every play, especially in live action, (and it's hard not to lower your head at times) but you only come out on the positive side of these kinds of hits so many times before your luck eventually runs out.

And the comments about Trace taking notes, that's comical. Jackson got the benefit of some home cooking from the officials more than once. Did it change the outcome of the game? Ultimately, probably not. Did it change the game? Absolutely.

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

Grant Mastin certainly is a beast on the field. I’ve followed his football career since his pee wee playing days. He’s also one of the nicest and most respectful kids you’ll ever meet off the field. I don’t know what the future holds for him but I do know he is drawing interest from numerous colleges to play football, including the Big Ten (but not Ohio State yet) and Ivy League (yes he also has the smarts to attend an Ivy League school). Whether he plays college football or not, he has a bright future ahead of him. Yes I’m a huge Grant Mastin fan! Go 57!

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

2 things to note in my opinion.... if a ball carrier changes pad level, as they are taught, I don’t see how a defender can be called for targeting. Ball carrier pad level needs to be the determining factor. Deliberate head shots have always been illegal but being honest we only see a handful of deliberate head shots across the entire game of football in a season. If the rule does not get amended accordingly football is going to become similar to arena league ball, which as we know will never be popular. Also, and maybe most important, leverage is the name of the game. I challenge anyone to pick something up from the floor. Your head will be the forward most point of the body. Do we want defenders tackling shoulder pads? Or do we teach players to tackle legs. If defenders tackle at thigh level making good contact with their shoulder pads, the helmet is always going to protrude and be the forward most point of the body. Most times it is the ball carrier who creates the helmet contact. If the ruling does not change to reflect ball carrier accountability, tackling will go from being the most important skill in football to being unwanted. Track meet in full pads! That’s not football. Humans will never be robots. I personally have no interest in watching robots play anyways. Madden is not football. We need to stand up for this game we love. NFL football is ridiculous to watch and it dictates all levels. I hope to be able to watch football in 25 years, if God allows, but I am doubtful the game will still exist due to being dangerous. We need to accept that football will never be an equal opportunity employer.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Yeah I'm sorry but both players were lowering and caused helmet to helmet contact. He was not defenseless and he was leaning down into the contact. No penalty.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Ok so my video was slow, my post was based on other comments and was a general comment. I am from GA so siding with Jackson is difficult genetically... BUT that’s football and was a picture perfect tackle and a good read by the LB. Helmet sticker maybe, flag NO! If folks don’t like the sound of pads cracking try ear plugs or ear buds.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Looks like a good clean hit to me but that’s just IMO

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

There IS above shoulder contact. A flag could have been thrown.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I thought the defense was supposed to target the ball carrier.

Not defenseless. Both players lower their shoulders to meet in the hole. Hard hit. Between the tackles. No launching.

Return to “Football”