Offsides-delay of game

Tartanblue
SEO

Offsides-delay of game

Post by Tartanblue »

Tonight watching the East vs Green game there was ano off setting penalty call that I have never seen nor heard of. Green got called for a delay of game while East was called for an offsides which off set each other. Has anyone else heard of this?

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Offsides-delay of game

Post by wobycat »

Tartanblue wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:54 am Tonight watching the East vs Green game there was ano off setting penalty call that I have never seen nor heard of. Green got called for a delay of game while East was called for an offsides which off set each other. Has anyone else heard of this?
Probably couldn’t decide which occurred first.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Tartanblue wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:54 am Tonight watching the East vs Green game there was ano off setting penalty call that I have never seen nor heard of. Green got called for a delay of game while East was called for an offsides which off set each other. Has anyone else heard of this?
2 penalties at the same time before the next play was ran, offsetting.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

“ 2 penalties at the same time before the next play was ran, offsetting.”
This is interesting and I’m not trying to stir things up. I’ve never seen this and I’m not sure they can both happen at the same time. If time runs out (delay of game) penalty, and if there’s no time left you can’t be offsides. If your offsides before time runs out, penalty. This is one that’s hard to wrap your head around but I think offsetting is not the right call.

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:55 am “ 2 penalties at the same time before the next play was ran, offsetting.”
This is interesting and I’m not trying to stir things up. I’ve never seen this and I’m not sure they can both happen at the same time. If time runs out (delay of game) penalty, and if there’s no time left you can’t be offsides. If your offsides before time runs out, penalty. This is one that’s hard to wrap your head around but I think offsetting is not the right call.
Why can't you be offside before the play?? It's called lining up in the neutral zone, it's not pros where you can get back. In high school if you line up offside depending on the officials they call it in the neutral zone, to the fans in the stand you don't see the player jumping because he lined up offside.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:04 am
RiverBallFan1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:55 am “ 2 penalties at the same time before the next play was ran, offsetting.”
Why can't you be offside before the play?? It's called lining up in the neutral zone, it's not pros where you can get back. In high school if you line up offside depending on the officials they call it in the neutral zone, to the fans in the stand you don't see the player jumping because he lined up offside.
That’s what he’s saying. If they lined up offside before the play was ran there wouldn’t be a delay of game. He would have had to move into the neutral zone as the delay of game was happening which would in theory be impossible to happen.
I understand exactly what he’s saying.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

Again, not arguing just trying to understand. My question in this response is “depending on the official”. I don’t understand that. Again, just trying to figure this call out.

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

As an official with 24 years experience, I do not see how it is possible to have these two penalties at the same time. As was pointed out, if one team was penalized for encroachment (there is no such penalty called “offsides” in high school football - it does not exist), then it has to occur before delay of game. You simply cannot have both happen at the same time. If unsure, the white hat should pick one or the other to enforce.As the white hat on my crew, I would not allow this to happen.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Exactly gobengals, there is no way you can have delay of game if defense lined up offside. They call that before the ball is even snapped. Defender doesn’t have a chance to get back onside.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:16 am
That’s what he’s saying. If they lined up offside before the play was ran there wouldn’t be a delay of game. He would have had to move into the neutral zone as the delay of game was happening which would in theory be impossible to happen.
I understand exactly what he’s saying.
Correct and I get that, but it is possible. More likely scenario is 2 winless teams and maybe they had a crew not an experienced and they simply made the wrong call when they got together. It happens

Return to “Football”