Will OHSAA Do Right By Their Fans? Streaming

kantucky
Varsity

Will OHSAA Do Right By Their Fans? Streaming

Post by kantucky »

Someone asked would OHSAA allow the playoff games to be filmed and broadcast live stream. I cannot imagine, in my wildest dreams, that if the devoted High School football fans cannot attend a game in person, they'd attempt to block broadcast of the games. Yes, I realize it's the kids on the field that it's about but let's face it, it's the adults in the stands that fund, not only local sports but OHSAA as well

I don't want to get ahead of myself here but if they attempted something like that, I think protests in front of their Office Buildings would be fitting. Let's not tar and feather them head of time though, they might actually use some common sense here. However now would probably be the time to begin to squeeze them

Ironton fans have had the luxury of watching all but one of our games this year on YouTube live. It looks fantastic on my 65 inch 4K television. Thank you, My Hometown TV and the paid sponsors that made that possible!
Last edited by kantucky on Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
MrFirstTake
SE

Re: Will OHSAA Do Right By Their Fans?

Post by MrFirstTake »

Every game has been available to broadcast this year just the portsmouth game was not added to the page after the live stream for some reason. But i agree 100 percent with whst you say

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Will OHSAA Do Right By Their Fans?

Post by Beergogglebluez »

The need to approve 15% or more to let in games

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
ACCBiggz
JV Team

Re: Will OHSAA Do Right By Their Fans? Streaming

Post by ACCBiggz »

I don't have the answer to the question, but I would imagine a lot would depend upon the current media rights contracts they have and how streaming would effect those. They have a deal w/ Spectrum, and they likely get to decide what games they want to cover.

My best guess is a lot of teams in our region won't be effected during the first and second rounds (complete guess, but Spectrum has a lot of bigger teams they can cover early) and then once the field whittles down to where they can cover them all, they will and then individual school streams will be blocked.

It has nothing to do with "doing right" by the fans. They have media contracts signed and in place, they have to adhere to it.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Since the OHSAA is getting 100% of the gate my guess is they open it up to maybe 50% capacity, that's if everyone can abide by the rules that is. Mask wearing being the top priority which has been a huge problem.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

ACCBiggz wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:00 pm I don't have the answer to the question, but I would imagine a lot would depend upon the current media rights contracts they have and how streaming would effect those. They have a deal w/ Spectrum, and they likely get to decide what games they want to cover.

My best guess is a lot of teams in our region won't be effected during the first and second rounds (complete guess, but Spectrum has a lot of bigger teams they can cover early) and then once the field whittles down to where they can cover them all, they will and then individual school streams will be blocked.

It has nothing to do with "doing right" by the fans. They have media contracts signed and in place, they have to adhere to it.
They need to negate any contract that they have had in place before. Many people do not have Spectrum. Many people who live out of state love watching the games as well. Either allow people to attend or allow streaming

Even at 50%, that's going to block a lot of fans from attending the games. 100% or wide open or we tar and feather them :lol:

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:28 pm Since the OHSAA is getting 100% of the gate my guess is they open it up to maybe 50% capacity, that's if everyone can abide by the rules that is. Mask wearing being the top priority which has been a huge problem.
Not sure if you'll see 50% or not but I do know of games where there were to be state health inspectors at to judge how the rules were being followed. I was told of 1 game in particular in our area that was to have inspectors coming to the game and I'm doubting they were going out of their way to just check on 1 game. Which makes me think if they're doing that this close to playoffs they might be entertaining the idea of raising that number, I don't think you'll see 50% though.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

https://ohsaa.org/Sports/News/ohsaa- ... mation
Live video streaming will be allowed as long as Spectrum isn't covering the game.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:00 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:28 pm Since the OHSAA is getting 100% of the gate my guess is they open it up to maybe 50% capacity, that's if everyone can abide by the rules that is. Mask wearing being the top priority which has been a huge problem.
Not sure if you'll see 50% or not but I do know of games where there were to be state health inspectors to judge how the rules were being followed. I was told of 1 game in particular in our area that was to have inspectors coming to the game and I'm doubting they were going out of their way to just check on 1 game. Which makes me think if they're doing that this close to playoffs they might be entertaining the idea of raising that number, I don't think you'll see 50% though.
I was told by a state representative that the lieutenant governor was on board with raising the attendance but the governor said no.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Cheerdad2020
Waterboy

Post by Cheerdad2020 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:03 pm https://ohsaa.org/Sports/News/ohsaa- ... mation
Live video streaming will be allowed as long as Spectrum isn't covering the game.
Wow. Great info and thank you

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

If Spectrum wants to cover the game then let them use Youtube to broadcast it so it can be streamed. Spectrum Cable has become outrageous. Many people no longer have even basic cable but instead rely on services such as NetFlix, Hulu and others

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

So your complaining about the price of Spectrum cable but are boasting about the size and type of tv you supposed to have?

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

kantucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:53 pm They need to negate any contract that they have had in place before. Many people do not have Spectrum. Many people who live out of state love watching the games as well. Either allow people to attend or allow streaming
Well, if you want to further cripple the OHSAA and have the state government take it over, that's surely the quickest way by breaking a contract and entering pricey litigation that they will quickly lose. Have at it. :lol:

I've enjoyed watching multiple games on YouTube, and I don't have Spectrum either. However, I understand how media rights work and there's nothing wrong with it. Unfortunate as it may be. OHSAA aren't doing anything wrong and just trying to survive, Spectrum is buying something they have exclusive rights to in order to drive more viewers to their product. Would it be great, at least for this year, to offer up free streams? Of course. But I won't be upset if they don't because that's just the nature of it.

Good luck to all of our local teams.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

kantucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:36 pm Someone asked would OHSAA allow the playoff games to be filmed and broadcast live stream. I cannot imagine, in my wildest dreams, that if the devoted High School football fans cannot attend a game in person, they'd attempt to block broadcast of the games. Yes, I realize it's the kids on the field that it's about but let's face it, it's the adults in the stands that fund, not only local sports but OHSAA as well

I don't want to get ahead of myself here but if they attempted something like that, I think protests in front of their Office Buildings would be fitting. Let's not tar and feather them head of time though, they might actually use some common sense here. However now would probably be the time to begin to squeeze them

Ironton fans have had the luxury of watching all but one of our games this year on YouTube live. It looks fantastic on my 65 inch 4K television. Thank you, My Hometown TV and the paid sponsors that made that possible!
I agree 100% with u. Burg streams their home games on youtube as well and it’s pretty impressive quality considering it’s all student run. If the ohsaa don’t allow it I’d be one that would be up for a protest

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

You realize the 15% thing is NOT an OHSAA decision, but the governor of Ohio’s decision. The OHSAA has had zero inflow of revenue since last November, you really believe they do NOT want increased crowd allotment?

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:03 pm https://ohsaa.org/Sports/News/ohsaa- ... mation
This is probably good news since Spectrum largely ignores SEO teams anyways. Usually they focus on northern Ohio/Cleveland area schools in the early rounds. If any local teams make it to the state semis then broadcast rights might become an issue.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:05 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:00 pm
Not sure if you'll see 50% or not but I do know of games where there were to be state health inspectors to judge how the rules were being followed. I was told of 1 game in particular in our area that was to have inspectors coming to the game and I'm doubting they were going out of their way to just check on 1 game. Which makes me think if they're doing that this close to playoffs they might be entertaining the idea of raising that number, I don't think you'll see 50% though.
I was told by a state representative that the lieutenant governor was on board with raising the attendance but the governor said no.
That can not possibly be true! We all know it’s the fault of the OHSAA, otherwise what would 60% of this board have to bitch about?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Otto wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:47 pm
This is probably good news since Spectrum largely ignores SEO teams anyways. Usually they focus on northern Ohio/Cleveland area schools in the early rounds. If any local teams make it to the state semis then broadcast rights might become an issue.
Hmmmm, wonder if that has anything to do with having the fewest subscribers in SE and Southern Ohio? Imagine that, Spectrum is a business and makes business decisions.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:00 pm
Hmmmm, wonder if that has anything to do with having the fewest subscribers in SE and Southern Ohio? Imagine that, Spectrum is a business and makes business decisions.
I was about to ask: how available even is Spectrum in SEOPs territory?

thebarlowbandit
All State

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:05 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:00 pm

I was about to ask: how available even is Spectrum in SEOPs territory?
Not very! But it’s amazing how many people want product for free!

Return to “Football”