CATHOLIC CHAMPS 2020 ? (38.5% OF FIELD LEFT)

TCAT1000+
Waterboy

Re: CATHOLIC CHAMPS 2020 ? (38.5% OF FIELD LEFT)

Post by TCAT1000+ »

Now I have zero evidence to back up my theory, but willing to discuss some things. I am not saying I'm right or wrong, but hear me out. It may be that this matters more as you move down divisions due to enrollment, economics, and area (square miles) in a district. While enrollment may be same for both public and private schools many times the towns and cities are much larger with a larger population.

The school my son goes to could care less about it and I don't really either. Get to work and get better is our attitude towards getting beat by anybody.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:44 am
nc green wave wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Most of the Catholics annually schedule tougher games and/or with bigger schools that are more competitive and usually are pretty good teams whether in conference or out and can afford to lose 3,4 or sometimes even 5 to get in the playoffs and with 12 teams per region starting next year this will help them even more than many publics who will be seeded higher with gaudy records but have played weak schedules. I already feel sorry for some of the public top 4 seeds from here on out that get byes in rd. 1 and have to play a Catholic that was seeded 5-12 and already have a win under their belts while the 1-4 sits for 2 weeks awaiting the winner in rd.2. 8-)
Are you saying this is why you think more Catholic school advance farther in the playoffs versus publics? Or are you saying that more Catholic schools do not qualify because they schedule too difficult and end up with not enough points?

I don't disagree with what you are saying and this is not restricted to only private schools. Publics can schedule the same way.

It makes me think of the previous years when less and less teams got in and you would have an undefeated not get in due to a very weak schedule.
1.) Yes 2.) Previously yes, with 12 teams next year, no problems. 3.) More public's will start doing it now with expanded format and 4.) weak schedules will always be a problem for some schools.
In response to your number 1 I would say that this what separates the teams that advance farther in the playoffs whether they are public or private

I have to disagree with your number 2

I just took a peek at last years regions and counted 8 privates that would have qualified at 9-12.......That's 8 out of 112 which is 7%

And for number 3 I don't think more publics will start scheduling more difficult.........with it being 8 per region, and only 4 per region before that they should have been already doing it

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

nc green wave wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:18 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:44 am
nc green wave wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 am

Are you saying this is why you think more Catholic school advance farther in the playoffs versus publics? Or are you saying that more Catholic schools do not qualify because they schedule too difficult and end up with not enough points?

I don't disagree with what you are saying and this is not restricted to only private schools. Publics can schedule the same way.

It makes me think of the previous years when less and less teams got in and you would have an undefeated not get in due to a very weak schedule.
1.) Yes 2.) Previously yes, with 12 teams next year, no problems. 3.) More public's will start doing it now with expanded format and 4.) weak schedules will always be a problem for some schools.
In response to your number 1 I would say that this what separates the teams that advance farther in the playoffs whether they are public or private

I have to disagree with your number 2

I just took a peek at last years regions and counted 8 privates that would have qualified at 9-12.......That's 8 out of 112 which is 7%

And for number 3 I don't think more publics will start scheduling more difficult.........with it being 8 per region, and only 4 per region before that they should have been already doing it
To each his own. We'll see what happens in the coming years.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The Pick Central Kneelers got pounded

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

New Bremen took down LCC 28-26 and

Warren JFK took down Nerk Catholic 20-13

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Steely Dan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:27 pm New Bremen took down LCC 28-26 and

Warren JFK took down Nerk Catholic 20-13
Yep. MAC took down LCC and Massillon beat LaSalle. Alter & NC lost to other Catholics last night (DeSales & JFK) and Hoban won. "X" has already won D1 and Roger Bacon & Lake Catholic play games today.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

As in years past Hoban, DeSales, Lake Catholic and JFK are in the finals again trying to join Xavier as champs. Thank goodness for the MAC in the lower divisions over the decades.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:35 am As in years past Hoban, DeSales, Lake Catholic and JFK are in the finals again trying to join Xavier as champs. Thank goodness for the MAC in the lower divisions over the decades.
Why? Do you honestly and seriously hate Catholic schools that much?

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:35 am As in years past Hoban, DeSales, Lake Catholic and JFK are in the finals again
And the exact same can be said for public schools Pickerington Central, Massillon, Chardon, Van Wert, Ironton, Kirtland, Coldwater and New Middletown Springfield

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

nc green wave wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:28 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:35 am As in years past Hoban, DeSales, Lake Catholic and JFK are in the finals again
And the exact same can be said for public schools Pickerington Central, Massillon, Chardon, Van Wert, Ironton, Kirtland, Coldwater and New Middletown Springfield
Over the 48 years since the inception of OHSAA football playoffs in 1972 we've had 256 teams crowned as football champions in all divisions up to this year. Of those teams, 118 are Catholic, 5 are Private/Parochial and 133 are Public. When you have won nearly 50% of all championships over a 48 year period with the Catholic/Private/Parochial schools in all divisions when they only comprise 8% of the total football playing schools in the whole state, that's a concern. "Open enrollment" has helped the publics close the gap but there's still a huge gap overall. Again as I said earlier, thank goodness for the public MAC schools in the lower divisions.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

nc green wave wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:10 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:35 am As in years past Hoban, DeSales, Lake Catholic and JFK are in the finals again trying to join Xavier as champs. Thank goodness for the MAC in the lower divisions over the decades.
Why? Do you honestly and seriously hate Catholic schools that much?
What does hate have to do with it? The math is what it is. Why do you feel the need to be defensive?

Return to “Football”