Ironton vs Kirtland State Championship

Kirtland80
All State

Re: Ironton vs Kirtland State Championship

Post by Kirtland80 »

I’m not sure if you guys noticed or not but did anyone pay attention to the score that sent you guys out of the regionals and into state? Maybe that’s your good luck charm and a sign that this is your year...

6O HORN3TS 🐝
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Kirtland80 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:17 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:49 am
Kirtland80 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:31 am

I put passing stats in this post. Was editing it as you replied. We have been spreading the ball to multiple receivers so it’s anyone’s guess who the ball will go to. I would think Gage would be the main target but there’s been multiple games where that’s not the case. I’m not saying we get 20 yard passes vs Ironton defense because we haven’t played them yet. That’s just the numbers so far. Yeah we had to defend more field vs Otsego and South range than we have any other teams so far, especially South Range. Their passing game was legit. They just didn’t have the defense to slow us down
It will be interesting to see if ironton tries to spread out the hornets. Like I said the QB throws a good pass but if the first read isn’t there, I’m not sure if he will have time to go to his second. Their online doesn’t seem suited. My guess is they will probably spread it out to give carrico some running lanes. Maybe some quick outs. I don’t know. It will be interesting how they will game plan. I just don’t think they can get it done with their power formation. I think that plays into kirtland hands. As far as kirtland moving the ball, they won’t be able to run very well on the edge, up the middle is where it’s at against ironton and that’s tough too but easier in my opinion than going on the outside. Kirtlands passing game might be the advantage in this one.
They usually get in the backfield quick, or at least they have until this point. My guess would be if his first read isn’t there, he won’t have time for the second. Just a guess based on what we’ve done so far. Is he mobile to tuck it and run if his first read isn’t open? If he is mobile he may be able to tuck and run and keep it from being a negative play or buy himself enough time to pass on the run to a different read than his first. South range qb was very good at making his reads and got rid of the ball fast. The biggest part of our runs are right at you. We had 538 yards offense vs Otsego and 452 of that was on the ground and most of them right up them middle to just physically wear them out. The matchups will be very interesting indeed. Can’t wait to see how this plays out! Is it Saturday yet?
That’s not their offense. Power run with play action and if they have to pass, it’s calculated. Very old school big ten type of offense. The type of offense that is not risky. Ball control

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

I would like to see IHS throw to Duncan at TE more. Quick hitters to the TE can really burn a LB blitz. I agree with the poster who said IHS pass plays take too long to develop but Pendleton knows more football than I ever will. I also would not be afraid to hit Carrico on a swing pass or two.
Go Tigers and good luck #70 from the mailman !!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:04 pm I would like to see IHS throw to Duncan at TE more. Quick hitters to the TE can really burn a LB blitz. I agree with the poster who said IHS pass plays take too long to develop but Pendleton knows more football than I ever will. I also would not be afraid to hit Carrico on a swing pass or two.
That’s a good option for them. Big target

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Ironton has to stop fumbling the ball and be well disciplined to win this game. Basically mistake free. I sure will be rooting for Ironton to bring back a championship to the south. Good luck to Ironton from Burgfan! Get it done!

Burg grad 85
TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

I sure hope the coaches are watching the state championship game film from last year. Hopefully seeing what didn’t work and what will work! Kirtland is definitely beatable, but it will take more than what we have been doing this far especially offensively.
Go Tigers and bring home #3.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

They're gonna have to use a few slip screens, tunnel screens, dump passes, short sideline outs, button hooks , short crossing routes and slants or a trick halfback pass or double reverse, something to offset that Kirtland defense. I'd be very surprised to see a few of these but you gotta throw some Dabo, Nick and Urban ball in there with Woody and Vince ball nowadays. JMO

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:04 pm I would like to see IHS throw to Duncan at TE more. Quick hitters to the TE can really burn a LB blitz. I agree with the poster who said IHS pass plays take too long to develop but Pendleton knows more football than I ever will. I also would not be afraid to hit Carrico on a swing pass or two.
I would agree with this. South Range had success moving the ball with their passing game. The QB got rid of the ball very fast. Their passing game was very good. The best high octane offense we have played. They just couldn’t stop our offense. I’m sure you guys will be the best defense we have seen. I think it will probably come down to our passing game, which has been good so far when we’ve needed it but it wasn’t against you guys so I can only speculate based on previous games

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Time change
Attachments
67B6C160-9ACF-4A0F-BB47-79070D78E0B6.jpeg

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 pm They're gonna have to use a few slip screens, tunnel screens, dump passes, short sideline outs, button hooks , short crossing routes and slants or a trick halfback pass or double reverse, something to offset that Kirtland defense. I'd be very surprised to see a few of these but you gotta throw some Dabo, Nick and Urban ball in there with Woody and Vince ball nowadays. JMO
Yeah. Why not just rewrite the entire offense this week? My take on this is IHS has done pretty well dancing with the girl they brought. If you tweak anything it might be something on one play. Otherwise you lose execution. Execution is what put them in this game in the first place. try to remember that.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Koondogger 2.1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:42 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 pm They're gonna have to use a few slip screens, tunnel screens, dump passes, short sideline outs, button hooks , short crossing routes and slants or a trick halfback pass or double reverse, something to offset that Kirtland defense. I'd be very surprised to see a few of these but you gotta throw some Dabo, Nick and Urban ball in there with Woody and Vince ball nowadays. JMO
Yeah. Why not just rewrite the entire offense this week? My take on this is IHS has done pretty well dancing with the girl they brought. If you tweak anything it might be something on one play. Otherwise you lose execution. Execution is what put them in this game in the first place. try to remember that.
Didn't say rewrite the playbook. After all I mentioned I said "something", not meaning all. You can ride the horse that brought you but you gotta throw in a wrinkle or two at championship time. I've watched Ironton play off and on for over 50 years with some great teams in reg. season and playoffs and have watched 5 of their 10 State final games in person. They've always been run oriented, had great rb's and have great defenses but sheer power alone won't get it done in today's football world.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm
Didn't say rewrite the playbook. After all I mentioned I said "something", not meaning all. You can ride the horse that brought you but you gotta throw in a wrinkle or two at championship time. I've watched Ironton play off and on for over 50 years with some great teams in reg. season and playoffs and have watched 5 of their 10 State final games in person. They've always been run oriented, had great rb's and have great defenses but sheer power alone won't get it done in today's football world.
Well at least againSt this team. Otsego has success spreading it around.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

wobycat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Well at least againSt this team. Otsego has success spreading it around.
Yes. Trimble for a long time and Fort Frye lately are 2 other examples in SEO that haven't been able to get over the hump in close big games without having a 'just keep'em honest" passing game.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Is Carter healthy or not? His role has diminished as the season has progressed. Irontons gonna need to mix it up this week. Maybe West gets a few touches instead? Whats the story with Carter? His availability has been real erratic.

Injury?
Academics?
Conduct?
Covid?

Whats the story on his availability saturday?

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Washington instead of Duncan.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

wasn't there another topic that had like 9 pages. did it get locked or something.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

anyhoo. I think ironton pulls off a big upset here.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

I would agree whole heartedly here. I’m not sure where rewrite that playbook came in but I’d say it’s a safe bet LaVerde will have them ready for the horse that bought you. I agree with mix it up some. To quote coach Yoast (one of my favorite movies) “He’s onto your game. You gotta throw something at him he’s not ready for”

6O HORN3TS 🐝
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

SpeedKillz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm Is Carter healthy or not? His role has diminished as the season has progressed. Irontons gonna need to mix it up this week. Maybe West gets a few touches instead? Whats the story with Carter? His availability has been real erratic.

Injury?
Academics?
Conduct?
Covid?

Whats the story on his availability saturday?
Whatever the issue two things are certain.

1. Carters role decreased as the season went on.

2. Ironton is quiet because the only thing thats been scarcely mentioned is a possible contact tracing that kept him outta one game, BUT his absence in some other pretty significant games hasnt really been discussed?

3 i have watched every game. Did I miss Carter being injured? Is there a lingering shoulder issue? ( rumor) Was there a significant injury??
I cant be the only person to notice how a significant part of ya production usage rate and time on field decreased as season went on. 🤷‍♂️

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Man this one is tough to call imo. Kirtland has so many consistent weapons. Demarco, Sullivan & company. Last season they were strong enough to nuetralize Irontons only advantage ( size) and then use their speed advantage to take control. Defense got penetration all night. Bottom line is somebody is gonna have to win the LOS one more time than the other. Assuming a clean game, I'm gonna stick w my pick from earlier.

This one will be remembered as a classic.

Ironton 17
Kirtland 14
In OT

Return to “Football”