740 Zone Team of the Year

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

740 Zone Team of the Year

Post by RothGGProducer »

The 740 Zone made a 50 player team of the year to wrap up the 2020 season. The link to our entire episode on YouTube is available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-rKS5R3so&t=4s

Player of the year: Reid Carrico, RB/LB Ironton

Coach of the year: Matt Kimes, Warren
Honorable mention Coach of the Year: John Penwell, Adena, Daniel Shirey, Liberty Union

First team
QB: Haydn' Shanks, Waverly
RB: Jason Munyan, Sheridan
FB: Will Balgo, St Clairsville
WR: Evan Gandee, Warren
WR: Will Futhey, Waverly
TE: Treylan Davis, Jackson
OL: Avery Henry, St Clairsville
OL: Blake Richardson, Wheelersburg
OL: Joey Reynolds, Sheridan
OL: Riley Starnes, Gallia Academy
OL: Caden Marinacci, Heath
DL: Jake Lusk, Johnstown-Monroe
DL: Logan Morris, Sheridan
DL: Zach Prater, Ridgewood
LB: Shay Taylor, Sheridan
LB: Dylan Hart, Fort Frye
LB: Reid Carrico, Ironton
LB: Colton Snyder, Nelsonville-York
DB: Beau Wisecarver, Bloom-Carroll
DB: Brandon Totten, Bloom-Carroll
DB: Matthew Miller, Wheelersburg
DB: Dane Hogue, Heath
K/P: Braxton Sammons, Wheelersburg

Other members on our team
QB: Kobe Mitchell, Harrison Central, Davis Singleton, Meadowbrook, Gabe Tingle, Ridgewood, Preston Sykes, Adena
RB: Wes Myers, Johnstown-Monroe, Hobie Scarberry, Bloom-Carroll, Chris Prince, Berne Union
FB: Steve Fitzgerald, Eastern (Meigs)
WR: Phoenix Wolf, Waverly, Gavin Hunt, Fairland, Tristan Prater, Jackson, Keshawn Bonner, Granville, Hunter Smith, Wellston, Rylan Ellis, Licking Valley
TE: Blake Guffey, Trimble, Zeke Brown, Waverly
OL: Caden King, Tri-Valley, Aj George, Meadowbrook, Drew Seymour, Chillicothe, Casey Brooker, Fort Frye
DL: Christian Wiseman, Nelsonville-York, Drew Hess, Newark Catholic, Dylan Anthony, Liberty Union
LB: Cameron Deere, Ironton, Grant Mastin, Jackson
DB: Kyle Howell, Ironton, Trent Hacker, Ironton

We worked very hard on this list to try and show love to the best of the best from the 740. There were some very tough decisions on who to keep on the team as we wanted to keep the list at 50 total players. Hope everyone enjoys this episode as we spent a lot of time gathering stats and deciding who should make the cut.

OSU22
Varsity

Re: 740 Zone Team of the Year

Post by OSU22 »

Absolutely fantastic job guys! Thank you for your coverage of our area all season long!

BigBlue99
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue99 »

Great job. Only one position i have an issue with is the offensive line from gallipolis. Awesome young man and great football player but does not deserve to be the best of the best. Overall great list.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

BigBlue99 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:07 pm Great job. Only one position i have an issue with is the offensive line from gallipolis. Awesome young man and great football player but does not deserve to be the best of the best. Overall great list.
Gotcha, interesting take. Only 4 seniors to my knowledge are committed to FBS programs from the 740 (Carrico, Lusk, Davis and Starnes) figured each of them were worthy of our first team. Casey Brooker from Fort Frye and Aj George from Meadowbrook were considered for the first team offensive line.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

RothGGProducer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:34 am The 740 Zone made a 50 player team of the year to wrap up the 2020 season. The link to our entire episode on YouTube is available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-rKS5R3so&t=4s

Honorable mention Coach of the Year: John Penwell, Adena, Daniel Shirey, Liberty Union

First team

QB: Kobe Mitchell, Harrison Central, Davis Singleton, Meadowbrook, Gabe Tingle, Ridgewood, Preston Sykes, Adena
RB: Wes Myers, Johnstown-Monroe, Hobie Scarberry, Bloom-Carroll, Chris Prince, Berne Union
WR: Phoenix Wolf, Waverly, Gavin Hunt, Fairland, Tristan Prater, Jackson, Keshawn Bonner, Granville, Hunter Smith, Wellston, Rylan Ellis, Licking Valley
OL: Caden King, Tri-Valley, Aj George, Meadowbrook, Drew Seymour, Chillicothe, Casey Brooker, Fort Frye
DL: Christian Wiseman, Nelsonville-York, Drew Hess, Newark Catholic, Dylan Anthony, Liberty Union

We worked very hard on this list to try and show love to the best of the best from the 740. There were some very tough decisions on who to keep on the team as we wanted to keep the list at 50 total players. Hope everyone enjoys this episode as we spent a lot of time gathering stats and deciding who should make the cut.

Telling me that Casey Brooker was Eastern District player of the year but not better then some of these guys.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:00 pm
RothGGProducer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:34 am The 740 Zone made a 50 player team of the year to wrap up the 2020 season. The link to our entire episode on YouTube is available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-rKS5R3so&t=4s

First team

Telling me that Casey Brooker was Eastern District player of the year but not better then some of these guys.
Right. Amazingly, they made the state semifinals, even though they only had two good players.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

For such a crazy season you guys have done a great job. Thanks for your hard work, I know the kids appreciate it.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Some nice graphics they made.
Attachments
28D29181-6DC1-45A8-A006-3C444307CA89.jpeg
B9406688-5A41-4CAD-B739-EE1E62C315C9.jpeg
98F8EA68-6E4D-4FB6-AD0B-582737792148.jpeg

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

[/quote]

Right. Amazingly, they made the state semifinals, even though they only had two good players.
[/quote]

Ironton and Sheridan were the only teams that had 4 members. Waverly, Bloom-Carroll, Jackson and Wheelersburg each had 3. We picked 50 players from an entire region of the state, kids from divisions 3-7 and you think if you didn't make the cut you weren't a good player? Miss me with that crap. Also, Brady Kutscherenko was one of our last cuts from the team. If we had another 10 players he would've made the team, but we kept it at a round 50 number so some great players had to be left off. Also, the only D6 or D7 schools to have multiple members on the team were Fort Frye and Nelsonville-York. Adena, Newark Catholic and Trimble each only had 1 player. So please tell me what teams we gave too much love to instead of Fort Frye.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

[/quote]

Our first team offensive line had a Toledo commit, the SOC II offensive linemen of the year, the LCL linemen of the year, the MVL linemen of the year and a 6'6 320 LB Junior from St Clairsville who is dominant. Brooker was close to making the first team but he's on the list and nobody we picked for first team are easily replaced. I'm aware Brooker won player of the year for Division 6, but all of the linemen on the first team play at schools in higher divisions so they weren't compared to him when selecting the award. We also covered Fort Frye 6 games this year, posted more video content on the Cadets than any other media outlet I know of this season.

BeastOfTheSoutheast
JV Team

Post by BeastOfTheSoutheast »

Appreciate the coverage, especially when most fans couldn’t make games because of all the crazy regulations. Great coverage 740 Zone!

Hopefully the Cats can work their way into some love next year!

Statistics Are Like Bikinis...They Show A Lot, But Not Everything.
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

RothGGProducer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:52 pm Telling me that Casey Brooker was Eastern District player of the year but not better then some of these guys.
Our first team offensive line had a Toledo commit, the SOC II offensive linemen of the year, the LCL linemen of the year, the MVL linemen of the year and a 6'6 320 LB Junior from St Clairsville who is dominant. Brooker was close to making the first team but he's on the list and nobody we picked for first team are easily replaced. I'm aware Brooker won player of the year for Division 6, but all of the linemen on the first team play at schools in higher divisions so they weren't compared to him when selecting the award. We also covered Fort Frye 6 games this year, posted more video content on the Cadets than any other media outlet I know of this season.
[/quote]

Y’all did a great job. Brooker is only a Jr he has plenty of time to make more list. Just think he’s def better than the Gailia kid.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Not easy narrowing down a list to only 50 players with such a large group. No doubt that there are a few players missed. Here are a few that stand out to me:

Justin Bartlett, Cambridge - Eastern District Co-Defensive Player of the Year

Reese Skaggs, St. Clairsville - Eastern District Co-Defensive Player of the Year

Brock Valentine, Cambridge - 1st Team Eastern District OL

Blade Barclay, John Glenn - 1st Team Eastern District DB (103 tackles)
https://www.hudl.com/profile/11219906/B ... highlights

Tyler Tonkovich, St. Clairsville - 1st Team Eastern District QB

Kurt Taylor, Warren
https://www.hudl.com/profile/10588063/K ... highlights
Last edited by BobcatQB on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Saw a lot of hs football of different teams online this year and one big game in person. There is no way carrico is not also the first team running back of the year .

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

gobucs20 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:03 am Saw a lot of hs football of different teams online this year and one big game in person. There is no way carrico is not also the first team running back of the year .
I would have to agree on this. Carrico as good as he is defensively, I always said, at this level, he’s a lot more dangerous offensively. That will flip in college obviously but defensively it’s hard to be as effective when you’re schemed against. A lot harder to scheme against him running the ball. He was a load to bring down.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Looks like alot of thought and effort went into this and it's greatly appreciated. As with any team there will be people left off. I think Portsmouth West had a couple players on defense that their numbers probably should've gotten them a look, but being 6-4 and only winning one playoff game they didn't get alot of notoriety, so it's understood.

The idea of this is really cool. Maybe in the future you can have a 1st and 2nd team.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:38 am Looks like alot of thought and effort went into this and it's greatly appreciated. As with any team there will be people left off. I think Portsmouth West had a couple players on defense that their numbers probably should've gotten them a look, but being 6-4 and only winning one playoff game they didn't get alot of notoriety, so it's understood.

The idea of this is really cool. Maybe in the future you can have a 1st and 2nd team.
Yeah tough to do. Or maybe a north and south first team. Ridgewood is quite a haul from southern Ohio schools

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

gobucs20 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:03 am Saw a lot of hs football of different teams online this year and one big game in person. There is no way carrico is not also the first team running back of the year .
We didn't want to have a player starting both ways, but I agree Carrico would be the best running back as well. Figured naming him player of the year and starting linebacker was enough praise. It would be interesting though who would be better, Carrico starting both ways or Jason Munyan or Wes Myers taking the carries with Carrico using all his energy on defense?

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

BobcatQB wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am Not easy narrowing down a list to only 50 players with such a large group. No doubt that there are a few players missed. Here are a few that stand out to me:

Justin Bartlett, Cambridge - Eastern District Co-Defensive Player of the Year

Reese Skaggs, St. Clairsville - Eastern District Co-Defensive Player of the Year

Brock Valentine, Cambridge - 1st Team Eastern District OL

Blade Barclay, John Glenn - 1st Team Eastern District DB (103 tackles)
https://www.hudl.com/profile/11219906/B ... highlights

Tyler Tonkovich, St. Clairsville - 1st Team Eastern District QB

Kurt Taylor, Warren
https://www.hudl.com/profile/10588063/K ... highlights
Only game we saw Cambridge play was the 34-7 loss to Heath and nobody stood out to us on that team. Considered Skaggs from St Clairsville but already had two Red Devils we felt were more deserving. We weren't familiar with Barclay, we only saw John Glenn lose to Sheridan and Warren and nobody told me about a defensive stud but those stats are impressive, maybe he'd replace one of the Ironton kids but our other secondary players are all elite (throw in Preston Sykes in that group as well). As for the QB's, I don't think Tonkovich or Taylor are better anybody we selected. The two closest to making the team were the Levi Gullion (who we unfortunately never saw) and Logyn Ratliff. These are all realistic suggestions though, which is much appreciated.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

Westfan wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:38 am Looks like alot of thought and effort went into this and it's greatly appreciated. As with any team there will be people left off. I think Portsmouth West had a couple players on defense that their numbers probably should've gotten them a look, but being 6-4 and only winning one playoff game they didn't get alot of notoriety, so it's understood.

So basically with the rest of the team it was basically a second team, we just only had 4 offensive linemen and 2 backup defensive backs (could make Sykes a third) and a lot of skill position guys so that's why we didn't literally call it a second team. As for Portsmouth West, we never saw them because of our staff size and shortened season, but we have some ideas brewing to make sure we see even more teams next year. Can't go into details but we're very excited about the potential for next season.

Return to “Football”