740 Zone Team of the Year

BobcatQB
Varsity

Re: 740 Zone Team of the Year

Post by BobcatQB »

RothGGProducer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:24 pm
BobcatQB wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am Not easy narrowing down a list to only 50 players with such a large group. No doubt that there are a few players missed. Here are a few that stand out to me:

Justin Bartlett, Cambridge - Eastern District Co-Defensive Player of the Year

Reese Skaggs, St. Clairsville - Eastern District Co-Defensive Player of the Year

Brock Valentine, Cambridge - 1st Team Eastern District OL

Blade Barclay, John Glenn - 1st Team Eastern District DB (103 tackles)
https://www.hudl.com/profile/11219906/B ... highlights

Tyler Tonkovich, St. Clairsville - 1st Team Eastern District QB

Kurt Taylor, Warren
https://www.hudl.com/profile/10588063/K ... highlights
Only game we saw Cambridge play was the 34-7 loss to Heath and nobody stood out to us on that team. Considered Skaggs from St Clairsville but already had two Red Devils we felt were more deserving. We weren't familiar with Barclay, we only saw John Glenn lose to Sheridan and Warren and nobody told me about a defensive stud but those stats are impressive, maybe he'd replace one of the Ironton kids but our other secondary players are all elite (throw in Preston Sykes in that group as well). As for the QB's, I don't think Tonkovich or Taylor are better anybody we selected. The two closest to making the team were the Levi Gullion (who we unfortunately never saw) and Logyn Ratliff. These are all realistic suggestions though, which is much appreciated.
Agreed on the QB's, just wanted to mention those two. Bartlett (2 time 1st Team All-OH) & Skaggs are studs and Players of the Year, hard to leave them off..Skaggs would be a better choice to me than Henry from St. C. Barclay and Colt Emerson (All-OH on D and as a punter) were two studs for JG and I feel that Valentine is better than a few of those listed at OL...at least the ones that I saw in person and on film. Film on OL is especially important..nothing else to go by. I'm not getting on you, as I said, tough to narrow it down. There will always be someone left off but each kid listed is deserving of the recognition. Great job and thanks for doing it..it's your list so doesn't really matter what anyone else says :)

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

Agreed on the QB's, just wanted to mention those two. Bartlett (2 time 1st Team All-OH) & Skaggs are studs and Players of the Year, hard to leave them off..Skaggs would be a better choice to me than Henry from St. C. Barclay and Colt Emerson (All-OH on D and as a punter) were two studs for JG and I feel that Valentine is better than a few of those listed at OL...at least the ones that I saw in person and on film. Film on OL is especially important..nothing else to go by. I'm not getting on you, as I said, tough to narrow it down. There will always be someone left off but each kid listed is deserving of the recognition. Great job and thanks for doing it..it's your list so doesn't really matter what anyone else says :)
[/quote]

Looking back at the All-State lists we probably should've had Bartlett and Valentine. Also probably missed on our Licking Valley selection, but that's really about it that I would really go back and try to change. It would be a lot easier with 80+ players, with 50 kids there were first team all state selections be left off that I really don't feel were necessary to include. Think the All-Ohio teams missed on Beau Wisecarver, Matthew Miller, Drew Hess, Christian Wiseman, Dylan Anthony, Cameron Deere, Evan Gandee and Will Futhey. All would be higher on my lists based on what we saw this year. Gandee, Futhey, Hess and Wisecarver should've easily been first team all state guys in my opinion.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Enjoyed the coverage that you gave our kids at Nelsonville-York. Enjoyed some of the sideline chats this year. What you guys were able to pull together was nothing short of amazing. Thank you so much for covering our kids. I can speak for the entire staff and team at NY when I say we hope to see the 740 Zone on the sidelines next year.
Sam

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Southeast Engine
Waterboy

Post by Southeast Engine »

Great job 740 zone.

Backerpitch70
Waterboy

Post by Backerpitch70 »

I believe one individual that was overlooked by almost all lists was #66 Eric Hurtt from Adena. Absolutely dominate all year long from his offensive guard position. Adena ran behind him 75% of the time. With tremendous success I might add.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

Backerpitch70 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:31 am I believe one individual that was overlooked by almost all lists was #66 Eric Hurtt from Adena. Absolutely dominate all year long from his offensive guard position. Adena ran behind him 75% of the time. With tremendous success I might add.
Hurtt was close to making the team. If we would've had another 3 offensive linemen he would've been one of them. Had a great season for Adena no doubt. Challenge with keeping the team at 50 players but with 75 he would've been included no doubt.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Great job ! As some one mentioned earlier the kids loved it !! As we did too !! Crazy 2020 season and look forward to the product you guys out under a little more “normal” situations.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

The lineman from GA is a solid player, but I don't think he was the best at GA, this past year. I'd give that nod to Mr. James Armstrong.

That said, Armstrong is no Carrico and GA didn't use him on defense if memory serves. Was the selection more due to fewer good OL talent in the area?

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:30 pm The lineman from GA is a solid player, but I don't think he was the best at GA, this past year. I'd give that nod to Mr. James Armstrong.

That said, Armstrong is no Carrico and GA didn't use him on defense if memory serves. Was the selection more due to fewer good OL talent in the area?
Every running back on our team ended up being first team all state. Armstrong was second team all state and while we did these teams before the all state lists, I think that defends our selection of those four running backs over Armstrong. Also, Starnes was named first team all state and is committed to Toledo. Maybe we like appreciate that?

Huntster77
Waterboy

Post by Huntster77 »

On behalf of Gavin Hunt we would like to say thank you for the acknowledgment of his Senior season. 50 catches for 1,078 yards (21.56yds per catch) 15TDs in a season of uncertainty. I have personally enjoyed following 740 Zone. You guys do a great job and we thank you!

Return to “Football”