Mascot Issues Again Surface...Cleveland To Drop 'Indians'...Will High Schools Do The Same?

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Re: Mascot Issues Again Surface...Cleveland To Drop 'Indians'...Will High Schools Do The Same?

Post by Chief Kdogg »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 am
Howard Cosell wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:49 am If Logan was gonna go down that rabbit hole, shouldnt they change the name of their town too? The surrounding land was taken from the people of Chief Logan. Seems offensive to keep that name. They should follow the example of the good people of Flavortown and name the city after something they are well known for.......

Hhmmmm.....

For a new town name, I suggest Bricktown. Or maybe Brickville. Do t hey have a big L in the middle of their field? That is a consideration in this matter.

Now for the school....... how about the Purple Nurples?
You do realize that NO ONE is making Cleveland change their name. Their owners are doing so, when in this country did we feel it's ok to tell owners of businesses. If the ownership group wants to change their name, that is totally their decision. Some of you are just too much of snowflakes!
There has been a long, long, long list of posts that show thebarlowbandit will argue with anyone about anything. Referring to people who complain about the "snowflake" culture as "snowflakes" has to be at the top of the list. :lol: :mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Mascot Issues Again Surface...Cleveland To Drop 'Indians'...Will High Schools Do The Same?

Post by Raider6309 »

It’s like most things, most people don’t care besides the small group of blue check mark Twitter people. Those hippies out in Wisconsin went nuts over the Jackson Jesus photo :lol:

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

You are absolutely right @thebarlowbandit and @formerfcfan! No one is forcing Cleveland ownership to do this. This subject has come up many times in the past without them and other teams changing their names. However, socially acceptable norms change over time. Society progresses and things that were once acceptable no longer become as acceptable. Do I want to see the Indians change their name? No. But do I understand the offensiveness of the moniker to some? Yes. I’m not the one to say whether the name should or shouldn’t offend a particular group. Not all monikers are created equal either. Some monikers celebrate history while others play off of previous derogatory names and slang terms. There has to be some discernment between the two. All or none isn’t acceptable from either opposing party on the subject either.

For those who oppose the belief that social norms change over time....it was once acceptable in the United States that your wife was your property and had no rights. It was once acceptable that you couldn’t attend certain establishments or ride in the front of a bus due to the color of your skin. Like it or not, society changes. Figure out how to deal with it besides throwing a tantrum.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Lucasville Valley Convicts

REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

Rock Hill Hillbillies....lol

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Chief02 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:58 pm You are absolutely right @thebarlowbandit and @formerfcfan! No one is forcing Cleveland ownership to do this. This subject has come up many times in the past without them and other teams changing their names. However, socially acceptable norms change over time. Society progresses and things that were once acceptable no longer become as acceptable. Do I want to see the Indians change their name? No. But do I understand the offensiveness of the moniker to some? Yes. I’m not the one to say whether the name should or shouldn’t offend a particular group. Not all monikers are created equal either. Some monikers celebrate history while others play off of previous derogatory names and slang terms. There has to be some discernment between the two. All or none isn’t acceptable from either opposing party on the subject either.

For those who oppose the belief that social norms change over time....it was once acceptable in the United States that your wife was your property and had no rights. It was once acceptable that you couldn’t attend certain establishments or ride in the front of a bus due to the color of your skin. Like it or not, society changes. Figure out how to deal with it besides throwing a tantrum.
This is an interesting post coming from a guy who has a depiction of a midget wrestler for his avatar. Don't you think some people might be offended by that? Or is that still "socially acceptable" in your mind? If that's not a self portrait of you you should probably change it or risk being hypocritical.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Chief02 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:58 pm You are absolutely right @thebarlowbandit and @formerfcfan! No one is forcing Cleveland ownership to do this. This subject has come up many times in the past without them and other teams changing their names. However, socially acceptable norms change over time. Society progresses and things that were once acceptable no longer become as acceptable. Do I want to see the Indians change their name? No. But do I understand the offensiveness of the moniker to some? Yes. I’m not the one to say whether the name should or shouldn’t offend a particular group. Not all monikers are created equal either. Some monikers celebrate history while others play off of previous derogatory names and slang terms. There has to be some discernment between the two. All or none isn’t acceptable from either opposing party on the subject either.

Do they have midget wrestling in Logan? Am I allowed to refer to you as a midget without hurting your feelings? Do oyu have a suggestion for the Cleveland Baseball Team?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

There @Chief Kdogg and @Howard Cosell, it’s changed for your viewing pleasure. Although equating the avatar on an anonymous chat site to that of a billion dollar organization isn’t exactly apples to apples. You both are clearly big, bad men whose logic and common doesn’t extend that far. You are brow beaters who are no better than the PC police you rail against.

Again, I said I wouldn’t like to see the Indians name changed if you read my post for its substance instead of trying to brow beat. However, if that’s what the leadership decides to go away from, that’s their business decision. Now that they will be going away from the Indians name, I would like to see them respect the baseball history of the city and go with the Cleveland Spiders.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:47 am There @Chief Kdogg and @Howard Cosell, it’s changed for your viewing pleasure. Although equating the avatar on an anonymous chat site to that of a billion dollar organization isn’t exactly apples to apples. You both are clearly big, bad men whose logic and common doesn’t extend that far. You are brow beaters who are no better than the PC police you rail against.

Again, I said I wouldn’t like to see the Indians name changed if you read my post for its substance instead of trying to brow beat. However, if that’s what the leadership decides to go away from, that’s their business decision. Now that they will be going away from the Indians name, I would like to see them respect the baseball history of the city and go with the Cleveland Spiders.
Oh I get it. You're one of those, "do as I think you should do while I do the opposite" kind of fellas. Nice change by the way, from the midget wrestler to the very thing you've been "railing" against. :lol:

So the Chief head is "socially acceptable" now if you use it huh? :mrgreen:

LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

My favorite part of this thread is that people are actually getting offended and upset about the potential of a high school changing their nickname, but in the same post are saying how soft our society is. You are really getting offended about a high school changing their nickname?? Come on now

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

My previous avatar was some self-deprecating humor actually @Chief Kdogg. While me using that avatar of the Cambodian Midget Fighting League (not real by the way in case you go searching) on an anonymous chat site was a play of self-deprecating humor, I wouldn’t go out in public and use the term. And again......I had mentioned in my previous post that there can’t be an all or nothing approach by both parties. I think the use of the Chieftain mascot and name is appropriate in my opinion as I believe you do too. I didn’t rail against anything regarding the Chieftain head logo. Nice try at manipulating the view on what I actually said.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:19 pm My previous avatar was some self-deprecating humor actually @Chief Kdogg. While me using that avatar of the Cambodian Midget Fighting League (not real by the way in case you go searching) on an anonymous chat site was a play of self-deprecating humor, I wouldn’t go out in public and use the term. And again......I had mentioned in my previous post that there can’t be an all or nothing approach by both parties. I think the use of the Chieftain mascot and name is appropriate in my opinion as I believe you do too. I didn’t rail against anything regarding the Chieftain head logo. Nice try at manipulating the view on what I actually said.
You "railed" against anything that isn't "socially acceptable anymore." I would think with your mindset you'd have to admit that the "Chieftain mascot" is no longer anymore socially acceptable than any other non socially acceptable thing you argued about. So again, "do as I think and tell you to do while I do the opposite." :mrgreen:

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

LeftHanded wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:09 pm My favorite part of this thread is that people are actually getting offended and upset about the potential of a high school changing their nickname, but in the same post are saying how soft our society is. You are really getting offended about a high school changing their nickname?? Come on now
My favorite thing is that you are actually offended by anything on this thread. :mrgreen:

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:47 am There @Chief Kdogg and @Howard Cosell, it’s changed for your viewing pleasure. Although equating the avatar on an anonymous chat site to that of a billion dollar organization isn’t exactly apples to apples. You both are clearly big, bad men whose logic and common doesn’t extend that far. You are brow beaters who are no better than the PC police you rail against.

Maybe I am a brow beater. Maybe I am not. You exist in a namby pamby milk toast eating world that I wish to be no part of. Maybe Logan could become the Pollyannas to go along with your world view. By the way, I would have respected you more if you had changed your avatar to a Paladin.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Maybe I am a brow beater. Maybe I am not. You exist in a namby pamby milk toast eating world that I wish to be no part of. Maybe Logan could become the Pollyannas to go along with your world view. By the way, I would have respected you more if you had changed your avatar to a Paladin.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Chief Kdogg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:43 pm
Chief02 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:19 pm My previous avatar was some self-deprecating humor actually @Chief Kdogg. While me using that avatar of the Cambodian Midget Fighting League (not real by the way in case you go searching) on an anonymous chat site was a play of self-deprecating humor, I wouldn’t go out in public and use the term. And again......I had mentioned in my previous post that there can’t be an all or nothing approach by both parties. I think the use of the Chieftain mascot and name is appropriate in my opinion as I believe you do too. I didn’t rail against anything regarding the Chieftain head logo. Nice try at manipulating the view on what I actually said.
You "railed" against anything that isn't "socially acceptable anymore." I would think with your mindset you'd have to admit that the "Chieftain mascot" is no longer anymore socially acceptable than any other non socially acceptable thing you argued about. So again, "do as I think and tell you to do while I do the opposite." :mrgreen:
I didn’t rail against things that aren’t socially unacceptable anymore. I provided examples of how views change over time and each time that happens you have factions such as yourself throwing a temper tantrum. As for the Chieftain head mascot, I think it is still acceptable. It’s not a do as I say, not as I do approach. I apply a little logic and middle ground which is the school attempts to pay homage to the namesake of our town. Is the Chieftain head dress accurate to the Mingo tribe? Not really, but it is somewhat accurate to Logan’s father, Chief Shikellamy of the Iroquois tribe.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:09 pm
I didn’t rail against things that aren’t socially unacceptable anymore. I provided examples of how views change over time and each time that happens you have factions such as yourself throwing a temper tantrum. As for the Chieftain head mascot, I think it is still acceptable. It’s not a do as I say, not as I do approach. I apply a little logic and middle ground which is the school attempts to pay homage to the namesake of our town. Is the Chieftain head dress accurate to the Mingo tribe? Not really, but it is somewhat accurate to Logan’s father, Chief Shikellamy of the Iroquois tribe.
LOL no temper here. I'm simply poking fun at a person who wants to do whatever they want based on what he "thinks" but tries to apply standards to everyone else. Yes, I'm referring to you. It's comical that you claim your mascot is "socially acceptable" when it clearly isn't if you go by snowflake standards. Which is what you apply to everyone else. It's clear that your "logic and middle ground" is based solely on what you "think." Hilarious. :lol:

Hugh G. Rection
Waterboy

Post by Hugh G. Rection »

Well. Being of Native American descent, I found that Logan headdress to be highly offensive and I would ask that you kindly remove it. Your descendants in Logan stole our land. Not much to pay homage to on that. If you feel really bad, you could sign over all of your earthly possessions to the Iroquois nation as reparations for past transgressions.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Listen Paladin! This whole thing stinks but it is what it is. I personally think its a great time to listen to some new ideas. Maybe the kids in your town dont want to be the cheftains anymore. Its not like you have some storied tradition like Ironton or Athens. Change might be good. Then you wont have to embrace the suck of the current athletic department anymore.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Listen Paladin! This whole thing stinks but it is what it is. I personally think its a great time to listen to some new ideas. Maybe the kids in your town dont want to be the cheftains anymore. Its not like you have some storied tradition like Ironton or Athens. Change might be good. Then you wont have to embrace the suck of the current athletic department anymore.
No sense arguing with that guy Howard. He's a "do as I say and I'll do whatever the he11 I want" kind of guy and when you call him out he throws a fit. Yea, much like Paladin. If he's not him he's surely a crony. :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”