New move ins at your schools.How many? Let’s have fun

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: New move ins at your schools.How many? Let’s have fun

Post by eagles73Taylor »

According to my research on just the Ncaa, Naia does not keep a database on amount of scholarships offered, but they only represent 300 schools where Ncaa represents 1200 schools, we can safely assume they offer quite a bit less than the Ncaa. With that said, there are over 126,000 partial and full scholarships given out between the 1200 Ncaa Division 1 and 2 schools. Division 3 schools in the Ncaa do not offer athletic scholarships. So for Naia, lets say 1/4 the number of the Ncaa, so 32,000 roughly for Naia. Total would be 158,000 scholarships, between 1500 schools. The vast majority of these would be partial scholarships, only Ncaa D I power 5 football and basketball schools offer full rides, some others might, but the majority belong in these schools. Most other sports offer partial scholarshipts, 1/4 or 1/2 percent of tuition.

So basically, 158,000 kids from across the country and the world are fighting for these dollars. In the last 5 years, how many student athletes from the school you support do you think received an athletic scholarship? Very few.

The knowledge of scholarships among the population around here is staggeringly low. I hear parents all the time talking about how their kid would settle for such and such school! Settle, heck, you're lucky if you get to play at the next level, let alone receive money for doing so.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

I wonder how much Notre Dame is benefiting from the Edchoice program with Potsmouth, Clay and East on the list of designated schools not making the grade.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:33 pm I wonder how much Notre Dame is benefiting from the Edchoice program with Potsmouth, Clay and East on the list of designated schools not making the grade.
A whole bunch, from what I hear. If I had kids in a subpar public school district and the State would pay for my kid to go to a private school for free, sign me up. Lots of parents in such districts choosing that option, and understandably so. With that being said, the boys sports are finally catching up with the girls sports and that also has something to do with the recent influx of transfers to ND (not all the kids trasnferring in are EdChoice).*

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

I may get flack on this but I believe winning plays a big part in kids transferring to.
Before Coach Pendelton came Ironton was more to lose kids than gain kids.
Ironton also does binding trips as in a few years ago they took a team trip to Canton to see the hall of fame.
He works with the kids to get summer jobs and stays on them to make the grades needed.
I do not know about other programs and what the do different with their athletes so I will not speak on what they do.
Ironton has had to rebuild their winning culture after a few down years and from the looks of it Ironton seems to be doing well in the process.
Know I admit I heard the rumblings of Ironton gaining transfers and yes it maybe that they are wanting scholarship looks from colleges
And it maybe for the chance to win and go to the state championship.
And it may upset some people.
I do not begrudge any young man for doing so.
I don't hold nothing against the schools either Wheelersburg Jackson Gallia Academy and so on.
Now I am not saying those schools get transfers from other schools I am just using them as examples only those schools and people associated with the athletic departments know if they have transfers.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

State Champions since 2000 from The SouthEast District

Albany Alexander 2008 - VB. 3 or 4 transfers
Wheelersburg - 2017 - FB - depends on who you ask
Oak Hill - 2009 -BBK- 2 starters
South Webster - 2006 - BBK - one darn good guard
Chillicothe - 2008 -BBK - not sure about configuration

Since 2000 The Southeast District would have ? State Titles in Basketball, Football, Soccer and Volleyball if it wasn’t for transfers.

Spring sports we’ve done a little better

Softball - Westfall 2014 and Wheelersburg 2016
Baseball - Washington Court House-2000 and Wheelersburg 2012 and 2013

Two of the best runs in SE District history belong to Wheelersburg Baseball who went to the State Tournament 7 times in 8 years from 08-15 with 2 Titles (2009 was the non year) and West Softball went to the State Tournament 6 years in a row from 98-03 losing all 6 times in the Semifinals (by scores of 2-1, 1-0, 3-2, 3-0, 4-0, 5-0).

I’m not sure of the transfers for the Spring Sports State Champions.

But The SE district gets looked down upon by the rest of the state enough as it is. I hope we can win a few more State Championships in the next 20 years but in the fall or winter the truth is you better assemble a team.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Thu May 27, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Transfers and recruiting are 2 entirely different things and I don't believe there's any coach openly recruiting players. Now do I think there's people in and around the coach that might talk to a player absolutely but it's not the coach going out and making these contacts. I believe the main factor in transferring has more to do with kids knowing other kids at certain schools and parents becoming acquainted. With all the AAU stuff that is out there, camps and training outlets kids and parents have much more contact with people from other schools, shoot simple travel for work and how spread out jobs are can create these friendships. Kids more than anything have so much more at their disposal to reach out to other kids as well.

In terms of just discussing Ironton and taking into account the large influx of transfers over the last couple years it's pretty obvious kids are wanting to play for someone right out of a college system. From the weight program, to training, to practices Pendleton is much more up to date on the way to train these kids like colleges do. Does that mean they'll land a scholarship, absolutely not but if your kid has aspirations of trying to land one and feels this type of training would benefit them the most then why not?? As a parent if I have the means to let my kid try to reach goal or dream why am I going to crap on it?? We're going to weigh the pro's and con's and he or she is going to know that going into a program like that isn't a cake walk and they will have to work for it. The reality is I'd rather my kid have to fight and scrape in practice and in games to earn that playing time to become a better player and better prepare them than I would going to a place that's just going to hand it to them.

Right or wrong we are not the judge and jury as everyone has to do what is best for their kid, no matter what talent level ppl on this site feel that kid is. It's but a small window these kids have let them be kids and have that ability they'll have the rest of their lives to have to conform to the ideology of what society feels they should or shouldn't do. While you can get noticed at almost any school there's a lot of places especially around here that simply don't prepare them for what the rigors of college is going to throw at them.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I cant see how anyone could character assassinate a sitting coach without hard evidence. It is too easy to entrap anyone actively recruiting. I can see alumni or people in the community trying to entice a player but not an active head coach. Unless there are hard facts, digitally or otherwise, I call b.s. Kids nowadays want instant success. Some would rather go to an organization they perceive top echelon. So be it. Cut loose the cancer. I fault the parents and not the kids. Many wanna live vicariously thru their children. Those beatdowns handed by Burg, ND, West and others in the late 70s taught some serious life lessons too. Winning at all cost (cheating) doesn't help anyone but a few select fans. JMO.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

If you are serious about wanting to play D1 or at any level, start attending camps, early and often. You'll find out how quickly you measure up against others. Youll get the exposure you are desperately seeking. If you rely on others to direct your future you already lost. Most would stand a better chance at hitting a 2 buck lottery ticket than making a successful D1 career. It is what it is

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

FIDO wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:49 am If you are serious about wanting to play D1 or at any level, start attending camps, early and often. You'll find out how quickly you measure up against others. Youll get the exposure you are desperately seeking. If you rely on others to direct your future you already lost. Most would stand a better chance at hitting a 2 buck lottery ticket than making a successful D1 career. It is what it is
I was told that the kids at Ironton have received offers without going to camps. The LB last year told a person I associate with that he never went to workout at any camps. They all just came to Ironton to watch him. I was also told the same thing about the sophomore LB/RB that’s one of the top players. If that’s true then Pendelton has a major advantage up on everyone else from this area in the college recruiting world.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I agree, if true then advantage Pendelton thru connections, as opposed to something more nefarious.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

FIDO wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:49 am If you are serious about wanting to play D1 or at any level, start attending camps, early and often. You'll find out how quickly you measure up against others. Youll get the exposure you are desperately seeking. If you rely on others to direct your future you already lost. Most would stand a better chance at hitting a 2 buck lottery ticket than making a successful D1 career. It is what it is
Yep...kids better identify colleges early they are interested in and get to their summer camps. Likewise, research regional showcases where multiple colleges will be present. That's not up to the high school coaches, but the kids and their parents. If Pendleton can truly get the coaches to come to Ironton without their kids having to go to camps, then that is obviously an advantage. But kids at other schools can still get noticed if they take it upon themselves to research and schedule their summers to maximize exposure. And like you said, everybody wants to go D1, but after seeing what D1 players look like at these camps, a lot of kids are going to realize the insane amount of work/talent it takes to get there.*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Lol with these conversations.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

XandOs wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:52 am
I was told that the kids at Ironton have received offers without going to camps. The LB last year told a person I associate with that he never went to workout at any camps. They all just came to Ironton to watch him. I was also told the same thing about the sophomore LB/RB that’s one of the top players. If that’s true then Pendelton has a major advantage up on everyone else from this area in the college recruiting world.
They all went to camp. Once they found out carrico was the real deal, then the onslaught of coaches showed up to snag him. The east coach at the time had the same thing happen at East with Blaine Scott. Coaches came in droves. D1 talent is d1 talent.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Exactly, the guy what went to Ironton to hype these kids from the showcase stopped at Waverly on his way down and hyped those kids as well. Did pendleton set that up too?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I can't name them all, but there are 3 athletes who come to mind from the recent past who played their entire HS career at 1 school and earned a D1 scholarship:

2016: Kyre Allison......Portsmouth's all time leading scorer (1,688 pts).......earned a D1 basketball scholarship to Marshall
2019: Tanner Holden...Wheelersburg.......earned a D1 basketball scholarship to Wright State (Dayton)
2021: Reid Carrico.....Ironton........earned a D1 football scholarship to Ohio State

It is very possible to stay at one school and have an outstanding career with the reward of a D1 scholarship.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

transplant wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:44 am Exactly, the guy what went to Ironton to hype these kids from the showcase stopped at Waverly on his way down and hyped those kids as well. Did pendleton set that up too?
speaking of waverly, did their QB commit anywhere?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

fbnut wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:15 pm
transplant wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:44 am Exactly, the guy what went to Ironton to hype these kids from the showcase stopped at Waverly on his way down and hyped those kids as well. Did pendleton set that up too?
No idea, Smurray? any help?

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Not yet. He struggled with the idea of whether or not he wants to play football after HS or not, since he has now had to go thru two acl surgery’s in the last two years. He may opt to pursue the other option that doesn’t include football after graduation, which who can blame the kid after what he’s been thru. You gotta think long term as for as your health goes, which I believe he is. No matter what path he chooses, he will be remembered as one of the better QBs to come through the area and arguably the best to ever put on a Tiger uniform.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:39 pm
Not yet. He struggled with the idea of whether or not he wants to play football after HS or not, since he has now had to go thru two acl surgery’s in the last two years. He may opt to pursue the other option that doesn’t include football after graduation, which who can blame the kid after what he’s been thru. You gotta think long term as for as your health goes, which I believe he is. No matter what path he chooses, he will be remembered as one of the better QBs to come through the area and arguably the best to ever put on a Tiger uniform.
thanks
he was a good one

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:39 pm
He was one of the better quarterbacks to come thru but no he was not the best. That distinction goes to DR Robinson or the person I actually put at 1 or best I’ve seen Mark Swinning. Swinning was early part of the 90s and at a time where recruiting was limited had offers to just about every big ten school. Off the field issues were his downfall. Mark was 6-3 I believe huge arm and could run.
Last edited by greygoose on Fri May 28, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”