Ironton v Burg 2020

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Ironton v Burg 2021

Post by wobycat »

Paulcrew wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:11 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:16 pm
The Regulator wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:44 pm

True, Ironton got a receiver from Valley and Burg got his sister for b-ball. I don't think any schools actively recruit it comes down to the parents and kids want to play for successful programs. 4 to 5 years ago Burg was the place to be for football and now Ironton has taken over that role. It is what it is.
Lol. Well Pendleton is in year four so he may have made a mistake.

By the way, which student is the open enrollment? One will have to sit out the back half of the season.

I may be in the minority but I find it silly for parents to transfer kids just for sports. Something that doesn’t last but a second in life. Good luck to the kids in what they do. I still need to remind myself that they are just kids.
i’ve seen the football player play... he will play longer than “a second” in life
I hope he does. But at ironton it will be a short lived. My kids are grown I’ve seen it happen

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:16 pm

Lol. Well Pendleton is in year four so he may have made a mistake.

By the way, which student is the open enrollment? One will have to sit out the back half of the season.

I may be in the minority but I find it silly for parents to transfer kids just for sports. Something that doesn’t last but a second in life. Good luck to the kids in what they do. I still need to remind myself that they are just kids.
i’ve seen the football player play... he will play longer than “a second” in life
I hope he does. But at ironton it will be a short lived. My kids are grown I’ve seen it happen
when you say it’s silly to transfer for sports, I don’t understand. kids start playing sports in elementary. they play sports as much as they go to
school. Sports can define someone’s life as much as “school”.
it’s not silly at all. Kids want to be good, parents want them to be good. Right now, apparently that means moving to another school.
you might be right about it being short lived at ironton. ironton’s only been dominant for 50 years. heck, when I was in school, Burg wouldn’t even come off the porch.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Paulcrew wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:21 pm

when you say it’s silly to transfer for sports, I don’t understand. kids start playing sports in elementary. they play sports as much as they go to
it’s not silly at all. Kids want to be good, parents want them to be good. Right now, apparently that means moving to another school.
you might be right about it being short lived at ironton. ironton’s only been dominant for 50 years. heck, when I was in school, Burg wouldn’t even come off the porch.
when the hell was that? Burgs been dominate since early 70's

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:27 pm

I don’t even know what he’s talking about. I’m talking short lived as in the time he will be there. Plus I think there’s something to say about staying where you started. I understand that sometimes circumstances change but I think in the old school way and how you grow up and play with the same guys and graduate together. I mean come on. If the kid is really good and wants to play college football, then he can do the same thing from where he was. I’ve seen a lot kids from all the local schools go to college and play. Maybe times are changing with the recruiting but I don’t have to agree with it. I do know this board would be insane if burg was going to have 5 to 6 guys transfer in this year to play.

I do wish the kid the best. Heard he’s a good overall athlete.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:07 pm
MrFirstTake wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:15 pm My thing is why worry so much why someone else who isn’t in your family decides what they want to do for themselves? Because I mean I’m sure they have more of an understanding of what’s good for them than anyone outside of their parents. And even if it does end up being the wrong decision I feel like it’s their decision to make
No one cares. I just find it silly. It’s just a sport. I like coming on here and busting chops with ironton fans but it’s just for fun. Real ironton and burg used to be a great rivalry. Now it’s transfer high vs burg. Lol. Stakes are higher.
To you it’s a sport to some it more than that. I’ve Said it a million times before but since the conversation hasn’t evolved on here since that time I’ll say it again kids were coming to Ironton the whole time burg had the streak over them but no one complained like they do now

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

At least no where near as much

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:04 pm

I don’t even know what he’s talking about. I’m talking short lived as in the time he will be there. Plus I think there’s something to say about staying where you started. I understand that sometimes circumstances change but I think in the old school way and how you grow up and play with the same guys and graduate together. I mean come on. If the kid is really good and wants to play college football, then he can do the same thing from where he was. I’ve seen a lot kids from all the local schools go to college and play. Maybe times are changing with the recruiting but I don’t have to agree with it. I do know this board would be insane if burg was going to have 5 to 6 guys transfer in this year to play.

It's a lot easier to stay where you start when it comes to schools like Burg. Overall best athletics and academics around.. Plus the atmosphere and sense of community you guys bring is amazing. Not every school is like that though, some are far from it. If I grew up in Burg I probably would have never thought about leaving, instead I went somewhere that I heavily considered leaving early in HS.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:04 pm

It's a lot easier to stay where you start when it comes to schools like Burg. Overall best athletics and academics around.. Plus the atmosphere and sense of community you guys bring is amazing. Not every school is like that though, some are far from it. If I grew up in Burg I probably would have never thought about leaving, instead I went somewhere that I heavily considered leaving early in HS.
Lol. But you didn’t. I think that’s great that you didn’t. I’ll spin it for you though. Many moons ago I spent four years as a backup. I probably could have went to a smaller school and played a lot more although that hardly went on back then. So there’s that factor as well. I’m sure there’s some ironton and burg kids that could head to green or rock hill and play rather than sit on the sideline. Yes burg wins a lot of games. They are like fourth for all divisions on the record books as far as winning percentage but they plus ironton have only won it twice. Winning it all is tough to do. So all the teams except the champion lose their last one. No matter how far you get.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Burg finally came off the porch in 82 and 83... took the L both years and like a cicada went back into hiding until the 90’s
Dominant since the 70’s? many years in 70s and early 80s you wouldn’t have won the OVC because Coal Grove would eat you several times

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

Coal Grove had some tough as nails kids back then

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paulcrew wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:13 pm Burg finally came off the porch in 82 and 83... took the L both years and like a cicada went back into hiding until the 90’s
Dominant since the 70’s? many years in 70s and early 80s you wouldn’t have won the OVC because Coal Grove would eat you several times
Burg has the fourth highest winning percentage all time in the state of Ohio. I seriously doubt they have ever been on the porch. Whatever that means

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

I believe what PC is saying by not coming off the porch is that they wouldnt play Ironton.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

truth.. in 1983 burg would have finished 4th in the ovc. Coal grove beat them 3 out of 4 years in 80s... but burg was dominant back then I guess

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Taylormade wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:35 pm I believe what PC is saying by not coming off the porch is that they wouldnt play Ironton.
They didn’t need to play ironton back then. Ironton way bigger of a school. But look at them now when the numbers are even and in same division. Burg aside from two years ago has dominated the series for a few years now.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paulcrew wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:40 pm truth.. in 1983 burg would have finished 4th in the ovc. Coal grove beat them 3 out of 4 years in 80s... but burg was dominant back then I guess
1983? :lol:

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:52 pm
Paulcrew wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:40 pm truth.. in 1983 burg would have finished 4th in the ovc. Coal grove beat them 3 out of 4 years in 80s... but burg was dominant back then I guess
1983? :lol:
why laugh? a burg poster brought up the 70s and80s dominance. I know you have long term memory problems as you all of the sudden hate transfers

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:51 pm
Taylormade wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:35 pm I believe what PC is saying by not coming off the porch is that they wouldnt play Ironton.
They didn’t need to play ironton back then. Ironton way bigger of a school. But look at them now when the numbers are even and in same division. Burg aside from two years ago has dominated the series for a few years now.
way bigger back then. back before scioto county sent all their kids to the Burg.😂

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

So what I'm getting after taking about 20 minutes to read a few threads of interest is, momentum, as far as for a program, has favored Ironton more recently which is a return to a more traditionl order in SEO football, and the brief period Burg enjoyed on top in SEO has ended, and it is a very pronounced source of sensitivity for the burg fan base? 😂

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

I think in that 20 minutes I seen burg fans complaining about "recruiting" & "social media" repeatedly, but not much attention being given to their inexperience compared to Ironton up front on the O & D lines as well as the obvious gap in experience/development between their skill players vs Burgs skill players. The spotlight/exposure for the Ironton program presently isn't by random luck or accident. It's a young ambitious program that operates congruent to prep sport per 2021.

Nobody wants to shout the quiet part out loud but presently, as a program...

Burg is getting lapped. 💯

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

I can understand then where the resentment for burg fans comes into play:

Change is difficult. Ironton had to accept change to move forward as a program. The rich got richer and hit the ground running. By all practical metrics the future of Ironton football is bright.

Burg on the other hand has become less & less impressive over about the last 4 yrs. They have stagnated a bit overall as a program and understandably feel like they are back under a shadow they have always traditionally endured.

Return to “Football”