2021 LOGAN CHIEFTAINS FOOTBALL

svac83
SE

Re: 2021 LOGAN CHIEFTAINS FOOTBALL

Post by svac83 »

I am not a nuts and bolts guy when it comes to how offenses work. So i am in no way an expert. But it seemed to me when we ran the wing-T and maybe it was just the way coach Eddy ran it. I just don't remember or see that much over blocking at point of attack in most offenses and it seemed to me like a lot of the blocks and angels was more on getting in the guys way then over powering him with a block.

There were plays where it is like the play really only blocked like 6 or 7 players. either the offensive formation or the play basically took care of the other defenders or if that defender made a tackle after 6 or 7 yards the play was still a success. seemed like a lot of times we used 6 players to block 3 or 4 players at point of attack and the rest was up to the ball carrier.

To me most offensive schemes maybe uses one extra blocker at point of attack. But like i said maybe it was the way coach Eddy ran it or maybe i am just wrong.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

From what I heard, the Wing T did not look effective last Saturday against Nelsonville. Looking forward to seeing the improvements from scrimmage one to scrimmage two. Going to be a tough schedule to navigate through.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:31 am
loganlocos wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Not so fast, Locos. During the Mel Adams reign, we ran the Iowa Wing T, which was quite the rage in the Big 10. Then we shifted the HBs from a Wing Right formation to Wing Left and vice versa. Each back only had to move a few steps each to shift from one power formation to another. We also lined up and ran without shifting so Ds did not know what to expect. Drove Ds crazy as they couldn’t get shifted to the power side quick enough. Had the bootleg action off many plays as well as motion. Lots of double teams at the point of attack for power as well. Passing was play action off running plays. Mel ran this for about 4 years and was the main O. While it featured power football, it was speed and deception that made our success.
I had always heard Mel’s offense described as a “slot T” - so maybe it’s semantics.

George Hummel gave me a good run down on Mel’s offense and the importance Jim Brandt played as the “blocking” back in their success during the unbeaten ‘64 season.

He said Brandt knew the offense so well that he could correct mistakes by his teammates.

Mel ran a Wing T - double tight ends with a wingback on one side. The slot, which he didn’t run, had a gap between the OT and the TE in which the slotback lined up. It could be a short slot with a 3 yd gap or a wide slot with the end split out 10,15 yards or more with the slotback tight to the OT. However, many were starting to move out of T formations and into various I formations ,which was just coming into vogue. I knew both Hummel and Brandt but was at college then.
You made me go back and watch the little bit of film I have from Mel's era - and I agree. They can call it a "Slot T" in the newspaper and maybe that's the terminology he used, but it's what we call the Wing-T today.

Also agree the spread with even talent across the board can cause way more matchup nightmares - but with that said - if you don't have a QB who can exploit the vertical and horizontal mismatches with his arm, I think the Wing-T is a solid alternative.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

loganlocos wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:43 pm
loganlocos wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 pm

I had always heard Mel’s offense described as a “slot T” - so maybe it’s semantics.

George Hummel gave me a good run down on Mel’s offense and the importance Jim Brandt played as the “blocking” back in their success during the unbeaten ‘64 season.

He said Brandt knew the offense so well that he could correct mistakes by his teammates.

Mel ran a Wing T - double tight ends with a wingback on one side. The slot, which he didn’t run, had a gap between the OT and the TE in which the slotback lined up. It could be a short slot with a 3 yd gap or a wide slot with the end split out 10,15 yards or more with the slotback tight to the OT. However, many were starting to move out of T formations and into various I formations ,which was just coming into vogue. I knew both Hummel and Brandt but was at college then.
You made me go back and watch the little bit of film I have from Mel's era - and I agree. They can call it a "Slot T" in the newspaper and maybe that's the terminology he used, but it's what we call the Wing-T today.

Also agree the spread with even talent across the board can cause way more matchup nightmares - but with that said - if you don't have a QB who can exploit the vertical and horizontal mismatches with his arm, I think the Wing-T is a solid alternative.

The problem, of course, is if you don’t have the “horses”, it doesn’t matter what you run. However, if the info thats been given to me is accurate, a run based O is the best choice. Other than play action, theWing T isn’t a great O for passing and with Logan having weak passing skills, they must depend on the run game. The truth will soon be known - if they can’t use their size to dominate in the trenches and produce a strong run game, it will be a long season.

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:13 am
loganlocos wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:43 pm

Other than play action, theWing T isn’t a great O for passing and with Logan having weak passing skills, they must depend on the run game. The truth will soon be known - if they can’t use their size to dominate in the trenches and produce a strong run game, it will be a long season.
Agree, Paladin.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I would say John Gasser ran an offense that didn't have much of a passing game. And did it well.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

noreply66 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:01 pm I would say John Gasser ran an offense that didn't have much of a passing game. And did it well.
What decade was that? You think all run offense is going to get them to the playoffs with that schedule good luck. 6-4 would be a great turn around. Where do those wins come from?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Thanos wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:49 am
noreply66 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:01 pm I would say John Gasser ran an offense that didn't have much of a passing game. And did it well.
What decade was that? You think all run offense is going to get them to the playoffs with that schedule good luck. 6-4 would be a great turn around. Where do those wins come from?
Looks like you are seeing a lot more than what I said. Anyone that knows Logan football will know what I'm talking about. Now tell me in my statement where I was talking about this years team to have you say with its schedule it could go 6 and 4?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan has a long way to go after seeing them tonight.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

noreply66 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:28 pm Logan has a long way to go after seeing them tonight.
How did the varsity do? Big one next week against Jackson.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Logan Varsity won 13-6, Logan Reserves/ Freshman won 10-0. Injuries took a toll on Logan already.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:24 am Injuries took a toll on Logan already.
What and who? :(

Copay
Riding the Bench

Post by Copay »

Bellbrook carved up Jackson in the wing T last night. Really good blend of run and play action passing.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

Copay wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:53 am Bellbrook carved up Jackson in the wing T last night. Really good blend of run and play action passing.

Sounds good for us… not sure we have the players that Bellbrook has right now. Promising news.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

cbolt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:24 am Logan Varsity won 13-6, Logan Reserves/ Freshman won 10-0. Injuries took a toll on Logan already.

Who did they play ?

Have gun, will travel
Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

Marietta

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:44 am
Poling, Castle, Sturgell didn't even play and Hodson hurt a knee early n the game.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Thanos wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:55 am not sure we have the players that Bellbrook has right now.
I went back and looked at their record the last three years, they've only had two losses in the regular season and those were very close games. Almost all their wins were blowouts in their favor so yeah I'd say they're pretty tough!
Last edited by cbolt on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:44 am
Poling, Castle, Sturgell didn't even play and Hodson hurt a knee early n the game.
Wow! Is Marietta weak, or what? Chiefs still won by a skinny margin, but that's a big hit without those guys. Specially without Poling. Would liked to have seen what would have happened with them in the game. Did the others get injured in practice? We need them guys back badly heading to Ironville next week.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logan was effectively down 8 starters - Hodson got hurt on the third play.

So Sturgell (QB/FS), Poling (HB/LB), Castle (SE/CB), and Hodson (G/DE) all would have been expcted to start.

Lot's of young kids got some time. One freshman is playing full time with the Varsity and one more saw significant minutes (although I think he may have gotten hurt as well.)

Still a long way to go. Good scrimmage. It starts to count next Thursday.

Return to “Football”