Ohio lawmakers call for schools to get rid of Native American mascots

Omega
SEOPS H

Ohio lawmakers call for schools to get rid of Native American mascots

Post by Omega »

From WBNS TV:

Ohio lawmakers have unveiled a resolution Wednesday calling on school districts to retire the use of Native American mascots.

The resolution, introduced by Representatives Adam Miller (D-Columbus) and Jessica Miranda (D-Forest Park), also encourages Ohio schools to engage with the Native American community.

The bill also calls on schools and athletic teams to collaborate with the State Board of Education to provide resources necessary for retiring the use of Native American mascots.

The resolution comes after Cleveland's Major League Baseball team changed its name to Guardians.

Research from the Ohio High School Athletic Association showed that 79 high schools have Native American nicknames and mascots.

The list includes 24 with the name Indians, 11 with Redskins and five with Redmen. Others included Apaches, Arrows, Braves, Chieftains, Chipps, Mohawks, Raiders, Seminoles, Senecas and Warriors.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/polit ... 2044640b47

I guess all of Ohio's problems have been resolved if this has become a legislative concern.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: Ohio lawmakers call for schools to get rid of Native American mascots

Post by NewEra »

I'm all but convinced that Earth is a reality tv show for aliens.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

These crooks you all voted for should try doing the job they are suppose to do and stay out of sports.

inOVCsider
Riding the Bench

Post by inOVCsider »

What if these school mascots were meant to honor Native Americans? Some time in the future people are going to say "It's a shame schools did not use more names to honor Native Americans." With that said I do understand where some of these names could be deemed offensive to some, others are just laughable.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The word "no" is greatly under used these days. This is exactly what the schools should tell these "law makers".

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

What a bunch of crap!!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The fake woke needs to go away

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I can understand some of them like red men being changed you couldn’t get away with something like black men or white men so that one is understandable but something like warriors or even just Indians shouldn’t be changed

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

This has almost ZERO chance of passing. Take that to the bank.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Tell me your thread is full of fragile yt incels w/o tellin me ya thread is fulla fragile yt incels.

⬆️🤡🤡🤡🤡😂😂😂

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRLsxpN5/

Pit Stop Billy
Riding the Bench

Post by Pit Stop Billy »

Omega wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:28 pm From WBNS TV:

Ohio lawmakers have unveiled a resolution Wednesday calling on school districts to retire the use of Native American mascots.

The resolution, introduced by Representatives Adam Miller (D-Columbus) and Jessica Miranda (D-Forest Park), also encourages Ohio schools to engage with the Native American community.

The bill also calls on schools and athletic teams to collaborate with the State Board of Education to provide resources necessary for retiring the use of Native American mascots.

The resolution comes after Cleveland's Major League Baseball team changed its name to Guardians.

Research from the Ohio High School Athletic Association showed that 79 high schools have Native American nicknames and mascots.

The list includes 24 with the name Indians, 11 with Redskins and five with Redmen. Others included Apaches, Arrows, Braves, Chieftains, Chipps, Mohawks, Raiders, Seminoles, Senecas and Warriors.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/polit ... 2044640b47

I guess all of Ohio's problems have been resolved if this has become a legislative concern.
So, the Morgan Raiders are named after a Native American/s? And here I thought they were named in honor of the "Morgan Raid." Shows what I know LOL. I do think Big Red is offensive to the equine throughout the state, so they should retire that nickname. Oh wait, that last comment would have gotten me banned on the puddle. :lol:

Scenic Highway
Waterboy

Post by Scenic Highway »

Are these lawmakes going to personally pay each school for the re-branding of each district.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Scenic Highway wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:35 pm Are these lawmakes going to personally pay each school for the re-branding of each district.
LOL why would they pay for something that effectively costs nothing to do?

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:47 pm
Scenic Highway wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:35 pm Are these lawmakes going to personally pay each school for the re-branding of each district.
Old yt dudes feign oppression because its the one thing they can never have and it drives em crazy. Lol

So now for older yt men things like science, not using ethnic slurs as team names or lil tiny cloth masks at publix for 10 minutes = oppression. 😂😂😂

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Our schools nickname is in one endzone turf field, painted on 2 spots on gym floor, on multiple jerseys, helmets, other athletic equipment, painted on and on multiple signs throughout the school and athletic facilities and printed on envelopes and letterhead tue school uses. So, yeah there would be a cost to immediately replace and repaint those, now if the school is allowed to redo all of that when the time to replace or repaint, then yes no extra cost.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:50 pm
Our schools nickname is in one endzone turf field, painted on 2 spots on gym floor, on multiple jerseys, helmets, other athletic equipment, painted on and on multiple signs throughout the school and athletic facilities and printed on envelopes and letterhead tue school uses. So, yeah there would be a cost to immediately replace and repaint those, now if the school is allowed to redo all of that when the time to replace or repaint, then yes no extra cost.
This is what I was getting at. Equipment & uniform replacement, replacing turf — these are fixed costs that schools come around to eventually.

A wholesale change suddenly isn’t practical. But set a benchmark year like 2026-27, and it becomes feasible.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

As mentioned above, obviously someone missed on history a little. Morgan Raiders are named after the confederate soldiers that made a "visit" in that part of Ohio. No native americans involved.

Then again, it was confederate soldiers so ...

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:20 pm As mentioned above, obviously someone missed on history a little. Morgan Raiders are named after the confederate soldiers that made a "visit" in that part of Ohio. No native americans involved.

Then again, it was confederate soldiers so ...
Yea, and I'm sure w'sters like speedkillz pretend to be offended by it so that'll have to go too. :mrgreen:

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

At some point in the future it will just be the school name. Like Portsmouth or Piketon. No mascots just Portsmouth vs wheelersburg. All helmets plain with no decals. So silly stuff we read nowadays

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005

Return to “Football”