Week 2 Portsmouth (1-0) vs Portsmouth West (0-1)

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Week 2 Portsmouth (1-0) vs Portsmouth West (0-1)

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this matchup? Game is Saturday night at Northwest. Portsmouth coming off a dominating win over Valley. West coming off a tough late loss to Fairland. I expect some scoring in this game.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Week 2 Portsmouth (1-0) vs Portsmouth West (0-1)

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'd think West is the favorite but after losing to Fairland last week I'm not so sure.

I think this game is a toss up.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth can win this game, but 3 things must improve vs. West. (1) can't have 0 points at the half (2) better pass protection for Drew Roe, and (3) cut down on the penalties. The Senators will be a tougher test than Valley.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

West by 2 scores.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Phs by 8. Too much speed on o. West should.pray for rain

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Fairland passed on west and that’s Portsmouth’s strength. The receivers are fast but I’m willing to bet fairlands line is better than the Trojans. The line has to give roe time or it’s a long night. West is always physical and will be hitting hard. I don’t see west wearing out like valley did so I am picking Portsmouth by a slim margin. If Portsmouth goes scoreless in the first half like last week no way they win. Valley fatigued and Portsmouth took advantage of it.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Nicknevada86 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:16 pm Phs by 8. Too much speed on o. West should.pray for rain
Northwest has turf.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Will West be playing all neutral site games this season? Unfortunate for them

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

I hate to say it but 2 weeks in and this is a pivotal game. Does coach grab these boys attention after a heart breaker or are the heads still hanging. I sure hope they will come out motivated in this rivalry game and gain some momentum.

I think West is the better team. However, ptowns strength (that’s passing it and getting into the speedsters hands), is West’s bigggest weakness. On the flip, I think the physical prowess of the orange and black will be the deciding factor. I think our running game bangs them up, and we slip through enough arm tackles to prevail. Seems to be the stereotypical West - Ptown game here. I’m gonna say close game until the 4th and we pull away 34-22.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

Backyard brawl. My gut says the Senators.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Have turf but rain will get ball wet.and hurt phs..if it rains

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Saturday was West’s first game with a new coach. Fairland doesn't have a big name but I think we’re gonna look back and say that Fairland was good this year.

Game is gonna be like last year. Roe is fast and has freedom to run around and make plays. Can West keep him in the pocket?

Will Portsmouth be able to stop West’s rushing game? Remember West had almost 300 yards of offense against Fairland and really never got the passing game going. I think Weat rushes for over 200 and gets back to even on the year

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Westfan wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:44 pm Saturday was West’s first game with a new coach. Fairland doesn't have a big name but I think we’re gonna look back and say that Fairland was good this year.

Game is gonna be like last year. Roe is fast and has freedom to run around and make plays. Can West keep him in the pocket?

Will Portsmouth be able to stop West’s rushing game? Remember West had almost 300 yards of offense against Fairland and really never got the passing game going. I think Weat rushes for over 200 and gets back to even on the year
Ultimately it was 1 game, but Portsmouth seemed to fare well against the power run game of Valley. Morrow is a really solid back and they held him in check. By no means am I saying Portsmouth defense will hold west to less than 100 rushing yards, but the defense seems to maybe be improved from the last few years?

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

This wlll be a test to how much improved Portsmouth defense is. Usually West just runs all over Portsmouth's defense. I was quite surprised on the lack of offensive production from Valley. Was week 1 a fluke for Portsmouth defense or were we getting the real thing? West by 10

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:26 am [quote=Westfan post_id=<a href="tel:1943358">1943358</a> time=<a href="tel:1629776661">1629776661</a> user_id=249]
Saturday was West’s first game with a new coach. Fairland doesn't have a big name but I think we’re gonna look back and say that Fairland was good this year.

Ultimately it was 1 game, but Portsmouth seemed to fare well against the power run game of Valley. Morrow is a really solid back and they held him in check. By no means am I saying Portsmouth defense will hold west to less than 100 rushing yards, but the defense seems to maybe be improved from the last few years?
[/quote]

Morrow still had over 60 yards rushing. I think he was averaging like 4.5. So maybe more like the slowed him down rather than held him in check. They did however hold Arnett in check. I think maybe he had around 30 yards total. Overall Portsmouth gave up somewhere in the ballpark of less than 120 yards on the ground. That’s an improvement, but West will be a better test to see how much improved the Trojans defense really is.

Who Dey!
Mission15
Riding the Bench

Post by Mission15 »

Portsmouth 28-14

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:56 pm
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:26 am [quote=Westfan post_id=<a href="tel:1943358">1943358</a> time=<a href="tel:1629776661">1629776661</a> user_id=249]

Morrow still had over 60 yards rushing. I think he was averaging like 4.5. So maybe more like the slowed him down rather than held him in check. They did however hold Arnett in check. I think maybe he had around 30 yards total. Overall Portsmouth gave up somewhere in the ballpark of less than 120 yards on the ground. That’s an improvement, but West will be a better test to see how much improved the Trojans defense really is.
[/quote]

Was told arnett got injured Wednesday before the game but I don’t think it would have made much difference the way Portsmouth stacked the box

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Fairland had some big guys and several of them. 2 studs against the run in Schmidt and Brumfield. Both will have the opportunity to play college somewhere. It was tough sledding but West still ran the ball. Portsmouth has good athletes and speed, but nothing like that in their front 7 defensively. And West has some good athletes on the outside. If Portsmouth decides to man up and load the box with no Safety there will be several long plays for West.

I could see both teams struggling to stop the other. This may end up as a track meet

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

The more I think about it, I can see this turning into a track meet. Turnovers will be crucial, and capitalizing on long sustained drives will be key for West. Keep the ball out of their hands will be our best defense.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I assume this game is still on Saturday night right? Only asking because I seen Northwest who was at home Friday now is now playing at Valley on Friday night.

Who Dey!

Return to “Football”