Ironton 20 Fairland 14 OT 2021

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Re: Week 3 Fairland @ Ironton

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Gonna say Fairland turns some heads here, but still winds up with the L. 41-28 Ironton. Fairland is a solid team and they'll put up some points. Ironton just too much over the course of a full game.

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:24 am Gonna say Fairland turns some heads here, but still winds up with the L. 41-28 Ironton. Fairland is a solid team and they'll put up some points. Ironton just too much over the course of a full game.
I agree with this, I believe the dragons have the talent to make this game much closer than people think.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:32 pm The challenge facing the Fighting Tigers and Coach Pendleton is to find both a coordinated plan and consistent execution on offense. Unlike the past two years, Reid Carrico isn't walking through that door to disguise what has been a persistent problem with the offensive side of the ball in Ironton.

Coach Pendleton has been outstanding in bringing the Tiger program back to the forefront of southeastern Ohio football. He is a tireless worker, and he demands the same from his players. The strength and conditioning program he has instituted alone makes Ironton a force to be reckoned with. Upon this foundation, he has built a very sturdy defense that can dominate most teams in DV within the region. He has used his connections to expose Ironton players to numerous college football programs and the scholarship opportunities those bring. Coach Pendleton has re-energized community support, which is among the best in the area. And, as many on here will note, Ironton has undeniably become a destination program for players and their families seeking a first class winning program + college scholarships. As an Ironton native, I am extremely happy Coach Pendleton was hired to be the football coach at Ironton High.

But to get the program to where he ultimately wants it to be, Coach Pendleton will need to solve the Fighting Tigers' offensive side of the ball. While he has introduced more diversity to the offense compared to the Lutz era, mere offensive packages do not equate to a coordinated, effective offensive game plan. Coach Lutz may have primarily employed what many consider to be an antiquated full house T-formation, but his game planning was exquisite. He would soften up the defensive interior with a physical, pounding fullback while stretching the edges with leggy halfbacks and quarterbacks. Then when the defense became overly focused on the run, Lutz would call the play action to go over the top. If the situation demanded it like a 3rd and 4, he would for the first time in the game go to a hard count and draw the defense offsides. I don't know how many times the fans in the stands would call for this hard count knowing just when Lutz would go to it. And if needed to offset an over-pursuing defense, Coach Lutz would not hesitate to run a counter, a draw, a screen, or a pop pass to the tight end (who was used as a blocker 90% of the time) with great success.

After 3+ years of watching this coaching staff, I am still trying to understand the game plans. Ironton uses multiple formations, but doesn't seem to execute any of them with great efficiency. Line of scrimmage discipline is too often lacking, especially in the first 6-8 weeks of games. In short, the Tigers seem to win more on talent and effort than technique and planning, but that advantage disappears against top flight teams like Kirtland. I guess it take a while for a young coach to find that offensive "personality".

I want to close out this post on a positive track. Coach Pendleton's teams play extremely hard. They are both physically and mentally strong, and opponents should never count them out - check out the Roger Bacon and Jackson games for proof of that. The work ethic that Coach Pendleton has displayed I believe should and will evolve an offensive system that can take this team to the summit. In the meanwhile, the Ironton faithful should enjoy the ride and keep the faith. Go Tigers!
Very interesting post you've written. I don't know how much exactly is true, not casting doubt on anything you said, I just don't know either way. But it's very interesting and I appreciate you putting it here

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

With the current personnel IHS has they could run Lutz's offense 80% of the time and go into week 13 at 11-1. With a big experienced O line a stud at TE and backs willing to block and run hard could be very hard to stop. Week 13 and on you would need a few wrinkles to keep better defenses honest.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Ironton should win but kudos to Fairland. They have the program in great shape from the bottom up. I seen the coach out there with the youth football teams. Really cool to be involved like that.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I think Ironton’s defense will give Fairland fits.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I think Ironton wins big. I’d hate to be the offensive and offensive line in practice this week. Line was really sloppy. But I give fairland props starting 2-0 I thought with the class that graduated fairland would be down.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I'm not really sure just how good Fairland might be but scoring all those points against Portsmouth West and Oak Hill, in the grand scheme of things may not mean much. I know that West fans are pretty disappointed with their play the first two games, and I really think that Oak Hill is really going to have a very long year. I may be wrong about this, and if the Dragons have a very good passing attack, they very well may be able to move the chains against the Tigers. I hope they have a decent offensive line, because otherwise the Tigers defensive line and linebackers will set up shop in the offensive backfield all night long. After all is said and done, I guess that's why they decide the game on the field between the stripes to determine just witch team is the best.

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

word has it the fairland moms are wearing "here kitty kitty' shirts to the game that should be good for a running clock by the 3rd quarter

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

This will be a good challenge for FighTing Tiger defense as it will get spread out more than the previous two weeks.

The level of Tenacious D displayed last Friday by both JHS & IHS was something to behold & it will continue this week for IHS -V-FHS, but they must be prepared.

NOW… The Offense has got to be tenacious to balance out that D play!

IHS has had to adapt quickly offensively in the key positions & that’s apparent in miscues & penalties.
Those have got to end.
It’s way overdue & the discipline has got to show up to negate the holes they dig NOW that has peskily lingered since this aggressive & new style of play was implemented upon arrival with new staff.

Clean it up!

The young men asked to step up and fill in for injured or departed playmakers have adapted on the fly more than any of us could think possible, espy in the past few weeks, when the murmurs of speculative departures and possible injuries leaked out.

IHS has moved on from that and we have seen what their backups are capable of in their perspective roles, & that should make any IHSFBFAN happy & SEOFBFAN encouraged to see the importance of building depth, versatility, & strength, as it has had to right before season kickoff.

WELL DONE IN OFF SEASON PREP!

IHS ran into a defensive beast in Jackson & I do believe that’ll carry on with a vengeance next week against NLV for JHS as It will IHS-V-FHS.

IHS has got to be prepared to utilize a well designed offensive playbook ADHERED TO, from here on out.
QB2 handled the pressure well -v- WBHS & JHS, & upon 3rd view of JHS game, the featured RB is favoring his -R- leg when lined up in backfield, but bullied on in first couple of offensive series, until pulled back the majority of the game I’m thinking, out of caution.

So…. Utilize what you’ve built.

The IHS roster is loaded with playmakers that can fit into a well designed O playbook & this is where the Coaching Staff has got to step up & overcome the obvious large slot left with Carrico’s departure/legacy.

They can quickly build this offense around a dynamic group of young men & use the depth to realign after a tweaked offensive redesign.
I could state what I feel will work, but I’m just a fan & no coach.
BUT to me, the answers are in that roster….
Use it.
Build them.
Supplement the shift from the build.
Be prepared to execute it from the get go -V-FairLand. & stick to it.

The D will do its part.
Let that roster & adapted playbook build the future of the offense from here on out & do NOT look back.

I know the coaches have confidence in what they’ve built, so Go:
#AllIIn & move forward!

GoTigersGo

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:17 pm This will be a good challenge for FighTing Tiger defense as it will get spread out more than the previous two weeks.

The level of Tenacious D displayed last Friday by both JHS & IHS was something to behold & it will continue this week for IHS -V-FHS, but they must be prepared.

IHS has had to adapt quickly offensively in the key positions & that’s apparent in miscues & penalties.
Those have got to end.
It’s way overdue & the discipline has got to show up to negate the holes they dig NOW that has peskily lingered since this aggressive & new style of play was implemented upon arrival with new staff.

Clean it up!

The young men asked to step up and fill in for injured or departed playmakers have adapted on the fly more than any of us could think possible, espy in the past few weeks, when the murmurs of speculative departures and possible injuries leaked out.

IHS has moved on from that and we have seen what their backups are capable of in their perspective roles, & that should make any IHSFBFAN happy & SEOFBFAN encouraged to see the importance of building depth, versatility, & strength, as it has had to right before season kickoff.

IHS ran into a defensive beast in Jackson & I do believe that’ll carry on with a vengeance next week against NLV for JHS as It will IHS-V-FHS.

IHS has got to be prepared to utilize a well designed offensive playbook ADHERED TO, from here on out.
QB2 handled the pressure well -v- WBHS & JHS, & upon 3rd view of JHS game, the featured RB is favoring his -R- leg when lined up in backfield, but bullied on in first couple of offensive series, until pulled back the majority of the game I’m thinking, out of caution.

The IHS roster is loaded with playmakers that can fit into a well designed O playbook & this is where the Coaching Staff has got to step up & overcome the obvious large slot left with Carrico’s departure/legacy.

They can quickly build this offense around a dynamic group of young men & use the depth to realign after a tweaked offensive redesign.
Use it.
Build them.

The D will do its part.
Let that roster & adapted playbook build the future of the offense from here on out & do NOT look back.

#AllIIn & move forward!

GoTigersGo
Well said! We have not had a true offensive identity in years and with all the athletes there is no reason why we shouldn’t be in a modern day spread offense not the wishbone. Go Tigers Go

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Post by Chilli_Dawg_614 »

TigerMania wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:46 pm
Tjhtygeverve wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:17 pm This will be a good challenge for FighTing Tiger defense as it will get spread out more than the previous two weeks.

Those have got to end.

Clean it up!

Use it.
Build them.

The D will do its part.

#AllIIn & move forward!

GoTigersGo
Well said! We have not had a true offensive identity in years and with all the athletes there is no reason why we shouldn’t be in a modern day spread offense not the wishbone. Go Tigers Go
Ironton doesn't have the speed to maximize a spread offense. Ironton may have one or two guys that are "fast" each season, but their offensive speed overall isn't that great. Against the burgs and ovc teams? Sure. But against teams like Kirtland its not gonna work. Neither is the current offensive philosophy. Dont have the horses.

Also there are two types of D3 team. Theres Jackson. Then theres a Bishop Hartley.

Hartley would have beat Ironton up this past friday. Ironton beat an UNRANKED D3. Lets keep in the context for what it is.

Also, no offense but, the ovc is garbage. Fairland is not good. And this will not be much of a game.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:25 pm

Those have got to end.

Clean it up!

Use it.
Build them.

The D will do its part.

#AllIIn & move forward!

GoTigersGo
Ironton doesn't have the speed to maximize a spread offense. Ironton may have one or two guys that are "fast" each season, but their offensive speed overall isn't that great. Against the burgs and ovc teams? Sure. But against teams like Kirtland its not gonna work. Neither is the current offensive philosophy. Dont have the horses.

Also there are two types of D3 team. Theres Jackson. Then theres a Bishop Hartley.

Hartley would have beat Ironton up this past friday. Ironton beat an UNRANKED D3. Lets keep in the context for what it is.

Also, no offense but, the ovc is garbage. Fairland is not good. And this will not be much of a game.

Then there is D3 teams like Chardon who would roll Hartley and Kirtland who would roll ironton.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:56 pm

Then there is D3 teams like Chardon who would roll Hartley and Kirtland who would roll ironton.
Point being, the topic isn't really being discusses in an entirely honest context. A lot of things are being glossed over. Its not meant as a disrespect of anyone, but rather just honest context.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Hartley appears to have struggled mightily with Harvest Prep, winning by 7 at home. I don't know the story of the game or if the score says more about Hartley or Prep.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:02 pm

Point being, the topic isn't really being discusses in an entirely honest context. A lot of things are being glossed over. Its not meant as a disrespect of anyone, but rather just honest context.
Oh I agree . Jackson folks saying they competed with a state championship caliber team. No they didn’t . Ironton is even close to that.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

522Pirate wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:15 pm Hartley appears to have struggled mightily with Harvest Prep, winning by 7 at home. I don't know the story of the game or if the score says more about Hartley or Prep.
Idk. Looks like Hartleys QB logged around a 90% qbr in that game though.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 pm

Oh I agree . Jackson folks saying they competed with a state championship caliber team. No they didn’t . Ironton is even close to that.
True. At present neither are. Jackson isnt a top 10 d3
And Ironton is ranked 5th in D5

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:21 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 pm

True. At present neither are. Jackson isnt a top 10 d3
And Ironton is ranked 5th in D5
I've watched Ironton week 1 & 2
Also seen Ridgewood.

Rn Ridgewood would run Ironton outta the stadium. Ironton just dont have the fire power to keep their defense off the field. If Ridgewoods offense got that much time w the ball itd get ugly.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I think ridgewood will play for a state title this year. The tingle kid is a monster and one of the best quarterbacks I’ve seen. They have been beat by ironton 2 years in a row and unless ironton gets a offense established this might be ridgewoods year. Obviously I’m wanting a team around here to make it but ridgewood is really good.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005

Return to “Football”