Fantasy Matchup: Ironton 1992 VS Wheelersburg 2017: Who Wins?

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Re: Fantasy Matchup: Ironton 1992 VS Wheelersburg 2017: Who Wins?

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Ironton 1992 because they were better. Wheelersburg couldn't have stopped that Ironton running game. It was a different time, and I think football was much better in the 90's. It took a loaded Mentor lake catholic to hand them their only loss in 1992. MLC had Joe Jurevicious who was one of the best wide receivers to ever play at Penn state and the New York Giants, and several other D1 college athletes on that team. Their QB and receiving core was far better than 2017 Burg. Ironton had 2 Ohio State Buckeyes on the 92 team, and I believe atleast 2 other D1 college players. 1 played for Yale and 1 for Ohio University, could be more but that's all I remember.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Big_Spicy_MeatBall wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 pm Gonna do 1 new fantasy matchup per week.

Nuetral field. Who wins & why? Let's hear it!
Burg does. That team was great at stopping the run and had a dynamic offense. 1992 Ironton would not have been able to handle the passing game.

They wouldn’t have thumped Ironton like MLC did, but they would win comfortably.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:43 am
Big_Spicy_MeatBall wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 pm Gonna do 1 new fantasy matchup per week.

Nuetral field. Who wins & why? Let's hear it!
Burg does. That team was great at stopping the run and had a dynamic offense. 1992 Ironton would not have been able to handle the passing game.

They wouldn’t have thumped Ironton like MLC did, but they would win comfortably.
No way Burg would have stopped Jermon Jackson.

SeaBass
Waterboy

Post by SeaBass »

I say get them all together, suite them up, and play it on the field so there'll be no denying who's better.

Kick his ASS, SeaBass!
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

I too agree football was overall better in 1992. I can not see Burg stopping their run game. I don't care how well they did it in 2017. You could make the argument that Ironton couldn't stop the pass, but that is more matching up athlete to athlete. Ironton had better athletes.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

90s football doesn’t even compete or compare with today’s football. Sorry. Ironton may have had better athletes but they would have lost by scheme alone. Irontons offensive and defensive line would be confused from the start of the first snap. Now if you want to set the athletes in the same era, different story but if you magically take burgs 17 team back to the past, they would beat them easily.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:45 pm 90s football doesn’t even compete or compare with today’s football. Sorry. Ironton may have had better athletes but they would have lost by scheme alone. Irontons offensive and defensive line would be confused from the start of the first snap. Now if you want to set the athletes in the same era, different story but if you magically take burgs 17 team back to the past, they would beat them easily.
What exactly makes today's football better? Are you saying just scheme alone? I get its faster and offensive mindsets are cometetly different, but does that actually make it better?

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:45 pm 90s football doesn’t even compete or compare with today’s football. Sorry. Ironton may have had better athletes but they would have lost by scheme alone. Irontons offensive and defensive line would be confused from the start of the first snap. Now if you want to set the athletes in the same era, different story but if you magically take burgs 17 team back to the past, they would beat them easily.
Ironton's '92 offensive and defensive line would have dominated the line of scrimmage. Jermon Jackson would have a field day. Blocking and tackling wins games, period. You make too many excuses for getting beat, like you got beat this year 40-6 but you didn't get beat, you gave the game away. if you don't -play well enough to put more points than your opponent on the score board by the end of the game, you got beat, plain and simple. No if this or if that's. No excuses.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Exactly! Ironton would not have handled the pass game. Again, Burg wouldn’t have beaten them as bad as MLC did, but Burg would easily win because of the offensive fire power. Let’s not forget, this Burg team went 80 yards in less than a minute in the state title game to force overtime. Ironton didn’t have that ability.

As for stopping Jackson, 2017 Burg went up against some good athletic teams. The Eastwood back was a 3* recruit, and Burg held him to less than 100 yards on the ground.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

That Eastwood back wasn't Jermon Jackson talented.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

frankie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:50 pm
Ironton's '92 offensive and defensive line would have dominated the line of scrimmage. Jermon Jackson would have a field day. Blocking and tackling wins games, period. You make too many excuses for getting beat, like you got beat this year 40-6 but you didn't get beat, you gave the game away. if you don't -play well enough to put more points than your opponent on the score board by the end of the game, you got beat, plain and simple. No if this or if that's. No excuses.
One of those posters, that don’t comprehend posts. I never said burg gave the game away this year. I said they gave away points. The tigers aren’t 34 points better than burg in a clean game. I do give the tigers the edge this year. Have already said that several times.

As far as 90s ball. I’ve went back and watched several 90s games of burgs and Ironton. Ironton wouldn’t have a chance. The schemes are different. The film study is better. The techniques are better. Lineman are faster. Offense is more dynamic. More passing. Better special teams. I could go on and on. Now if ironton and burg athletes were brought in and trained the same, it could be a different argument.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:26 pm
One of those posters, that don’t comprehend posts. I never said burg gave the game away this year. I said they gave away points. The tigers aren’t 34 points better than burg in a clean game. I do give the tigers the edge this year. Have already said that several times.

As far as 90s ball. I’ve went back and watched several 90s games of burgs and Ironton. Ironton wouldn’t have a chance. The schemes are different. The film study is better. The techniques are better. Lineman are faster. Offense is more dynamic. More passing. Better special teams. I could go on and on. Now if ironton and burg athletes were brought in and trained the same, it could be a different argument.
🤦‍♂️

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

I comprehend your posts quite well. You and your if this hadn't happened or that had happened. Turnovers and penalties are part of the darn game. You and your hypothetical clean game victories. LOL

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Big_Spicy_MeatBall wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:35 pm Ironton I think also played against bigger/better quality comp in 92 vs burg in 17 yes?
Probably. But that doesn’t mean anything. I mean the argument is silly in the first place. There’s a 25 year span. Athlete to athlete. Ironton probably has the advantage. Although I thought Eastwood was overall probably a little better than burg too athletic wise but to write off the 17 team as a bunch of luck is dumb. They were extremely good

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

frankie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:38 pm

I comprehend your posts quite well. You and your if this hadn't happened or that had happened. Turnovers and penalties are part of the darn game. You and your hypothetical clean game victories. LOL
This whole post is hypothetical. :lol:

Hypothetically does ironton beat Jackson without their valley transfer?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Big_Spicy_MeatBall wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:33 pm Burg hasnt had the D1 recruits history that Ironton has had huh as far as football? Not past or present. Now ik all of you guys are really sensitive so before you go nuts - that's not a knock on burg at all - t's an observation.
That’s absolutely true. Ironton has produced far more football D1 athletes. However, football is a team sport, hence the reason for Burg’s success.

If the best athletes guaranteed victory, Ironton wouldn’t be on a 30+ year state title drought. Would not have lost to Kirtland the past two years.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

:lol: Ah you got me, huh? :lol:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

frankie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:50 pm :lol: Ah you got me, huh? :lol:
Not trying to get anyone. You don’t agree. Fair enough

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Ironton by 2-3 scores. wheelersburg 2017 was a very good team. But, if they had to play Kirtland or a MAC school, they wouldn't have won the title. They were VERY lucky regarding the teams they DIDN'T have to play. Way to much talent on that (and many other) Ironton teams.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Big_Spicy_MeatBall wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm
LockHerUp wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:08 pm Ironton by 2-3 scores. wheelersburg 2017 was a very good team. But, if they had to play Kirtland or a MAC school, they wouldn't have won the title. They were VERY lucky regarding the teams they DIDN'T have to play. Way to much talent on that (and many other) Ironton teams.
Yup. Agree. I think Ironton 92 had too many horses for Burg.
Delong
Leith
Kratzenberg
Jackson

All D1 kids I do believe and may have been a few more. Burg 17 didnt have that kinda talent. And yes burg 17 was a good team for that area but their most talented kid was a small college hoops player not a D1 football player. Thats not a shot at the kid - its just there is a difference.
I agree 100% 92 Ironton would've pounded 17 burg. I believe 92 Vinton County, Nelsonville York, and P.West would've beat 17 burg also.

Return to “Football”