WK13 Ironton vs. The Burg

MrFirstTake
SE

Re: WK13 Ironton vs. The Burg

Post by MrFirstTake »

To me Ironton can only beat themselves turnover/penalties outside of that the only advantages Burg have are coaching/kicking. I’m sure they will be ready it is the 3rd round burg vs ironton really don’t need the coaches to give any big speeches to get ready for this one.

24-16 Ironton

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

TigerMania wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:52 am Can anyone tell me why #11 is not playing CB anymore. He hasn’t played in weeks. Kid was really good and best secondary player we had against the run. Also, is #24 going to play this week? I’m interested to see how the coaching staff gets the kids hyped up for this game after they beat this team really bad to start the season. It shouldn’t take much because it is the burg and we should always be hyped up to play the burg. Go Tigers!
#24 will play Saturday and for #11 not sure really but I know that #22 has done well the last few weeks you may see #11 some this weekend though.

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Still would like to see Lattimore get more touches. He just hasn't been given the touches like he got last year. He's averaging about 8 yards a carry this year but only touches the ball about 3-5 times a game.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

The only advantage Wheelersburg has is kicking game. Irontons staff has been to back-to-back state championships so I don’t understand the coaching advantage. Ironton was down 5 starters last week and had a freshman at QB. Portsmouth was 8-3 going into the game with losses against Fairland by 1, Waverly by 1 and Ironton by 27. Does Wheelersburg win last Saturday night if they started a Freshman at QB. Also how much does that change the play calling. Irontons freshman seemed to have problems getting the snap so I’m sure that went into the play calling as well.

BTW. Wasn’t there talk on here awhile back that many thought Portsmouth would/could beat Wheelersburg this year. Why is it now that win by Ironton Saturday night down that many starters and freshman QB all of a sudden not a good win.

Old Time Tiger
Riding the Bench

Post by Old Time Tiger »

Ironton has to clean up the penalties and ball handling. They play a clean game, they win by 10, if not it's anyone's game.
Go Big I!!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

XandOs wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:12 am The only advantage Wheelersburg has is kicking game. Irontons staff has been to back-to-back state championships so I don’t understand the coaching advantage. Ironton was down 5 starters last week and had a freshman at QB. Portsmouth was 8-3 going into the game with losses against Fairland by 1, Waverly by 1 and Ironton by 27. Does Wheelersburg win last Saturday night if they started a Freshman at QB. Also how much does that change the play calling. Irontons freshman seemed to have problems getting the snap so I’m sure that went into the play calling as well.

BTW. Wasn’t there talk on here awhile back that many thought Portsmouth would/could beat Wheelersburg this year. Why is it now that win by Ironton Saturday night down that many starters and freshman QB all of a sudden not a good win.
I personally think it was a solid win for Ironton. They had some injuries, so did Portsmouth. It was a hard fought win. I think the Trojans could play with Burg, didn’t get to see it so we will never know. I thought the Ironton QB actually did well. Rivalry game, cold, down some teammates, thought he was fine for a freshman. Honestly to me the snaps weren’t that great, that’s why he had trouble. Ironton should pound the ball more than they did against Portsmouth. Use Keys and Wilson a lot to take pressure off of this kid. Make Burg stop the run and it could open the pass.

Go2Guy
Waterboy

Post by Go2Guy »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:35 pm
Yh8awinner wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:28 pm Never heard anybody from burg say week 1 was a fluke. Burg was nowhere near figured out of what and where everyone needed to be to best compete. As far as Ironton being an underdog let alone a big underdog is just people trying to stir the pot. With the success Ironton has had in the past 2 seasons and all the talent they have brought in you say they are supposedly the underdog is asinine.

Sounds like burg has it figured out now, they are conference champions, and has everyone where they should be, they have the best Kicker, they beat Ridgewood, they have all the house money, burg has every advantage.. Sound to me like burg is the heavy favorite. Good luck Ironton, sounds like you need all the luck to compete in this game.
Yeah way it sounds Tigerts shouldn't even show up.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

XandOs wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:12 am The only advantage Wheelersburg has is kicking game. Irontons staff has been to back-to-back state championships so I don’t understand the coaching advantage. Ironton was down 5 starters last week and had a freshman at QB. Portsmouth was 8-3 going into the game with losses against Fairland by 1, Waverly by 1 and Ironton by 27. Does Wheelersburg win last Saturday night if they started a Freshman at QB. Also how much does that change the play calling. Irontons freshman seemed to have problems getting the snap so I’m sure that went into the play calling as well.

I don't think Portsmouth would have beaten Burg this year. If you go with common opponents, Portsmouth lost to Waverly why'll giving up 30 some points. Burg held Waverly to 14 and totally shut down there passing game. Waverly was able to run the ball once Burg took the pass away. I don't think Portsmouth would have been able to run the ball.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:07 am

I don't think Portsmouth would have beaten Burg this year. If you go with common opponents, Portsmouth lost to Waverly why'll giving up 30 some points. Burg held Waverly to 14 and totally shut down there passing game. Waverly was able to run the ball once Burg took the pass away. I don't think Portsmouth would have been able to run the ball.
Waverly didn’t move the ball at all against Ironton in a scrimmage. They would have had negative yards.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironton has good coaches, no question about that. However, Ironton, for the past three years, has had some of the best individual talent in Ohio D5 football. Coaching is a lot easier with Carrico and some of the other D1 talent Ironton has on the field. Burg, on the other hand, hasn’t had individual talent like this since the 1980’s/1990’s teams. Burg can’t win on talent alone.

As for the Portsmouth-Ironton game last week, those results don’t mean anything with regards to future games (both teams were beat up, etc). At this point in the season, it’s about surviving and moving to the next game. Nothing more. All wins are good wins.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

XandOs wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:09 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:07 am

Waverly didn’t move the ball at all against Ironton in a scrimmage. They would have had negative yards.

Really!!!! That's a scrimmage.

A little tidbit about scrimmages. 1979 Burg beat the snot out of Ironton in a scrimmage. Ironton went on to win the state title that year 7-6. Scrimmages are used to work on things. Players are moved around and different things are tried.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:20 am

Ironton has good coaches, no question about that. However, Ironton, for the past three years, has had some of the best individual talent in Ohio D5 football. Coaching is a lot easier with Carrico and some of the other D1 talent Ironton has on the field. Burg, on the other hand, hasn’t had individual talent like this since the 1980’s/1990’s teams. Burg can’t win on talent alone.

As for the Portsmouth-Ironton game last week, those results don’t mean anything with regards to future games (both teams were beat up, etc). At this point in the season, it’s about surviving and moving to the next game. Nothing more. All wins are good wins.

Not sure about since the 80's or 90's for Burg. I kind of remember a player by the name of Tanner Holden who helped Burg win a state title in 2017, plus Burg's defense was flat nasty that year as well.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

Wylie out for the season. You’d think they’ll run some wildcat with Wilson, Masters, etc taking some direct snaps having the advantage of an extra blocker. I kind of feel for the freshman QB, looks like lots of potential for the future but he’s been tossed into the flame. Several drives by Ironton were dead before they even started mostly due to bobbled snaps and as usual some procedure penalties. At this level of ball and at this point in the season I’d assume the team making the least mistakes (penalties/turnovers/unforced errors) will likely win the game. But who knows with a group of 14-18 year old boys.

Someone stated earlier that the losing teams fans will need to shut up after this game. I believe past history would prove this likely false, and if not, only for about three weeks when the losing teams fans will begin riding the other on their inevitable 35-6 loss to Kirtland.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:25 am
RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:20 am

Not sure about since the 80's or 90's for Burg. I kind of remember a player by the name of Tanner Holden who helped Burg win a state title in 2017, plus Burg's defense was flat nasty that year as well.
Agree with Holden, and that Burg team had an incredible D. But only 2 D1 athletes came off that team. Only one played D1 football.

Now consider the 1989 state title team:
- QB played D1 football (could have went D1 in basketball as well). One of the top athletes to go through Burg.
- Starting RB went D3, but backup went D1.
- Starting FB was headed to the Air Force academy before getting injured, backup FB went D1.
- Starting linebacker was a three sport star (maybe best ever at Burg), played D1 baseball.

Now when comparing Burg talent to Ironton, how many players has Ironton sent to Big 10 schools to play football? Around 6-10. How many has Burg sent to the Big 10? One, and that was in the 1950’s!

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Yabba...,
I hate when threads get sidetracked. But, I have to call you out on that whopper about wheelersburg "beating the snot" out of Ironton in 1979. I played in that scrimmage. I don't remember every detail. It was a scrimmage. No big deal (although you'd have thought you guys won the super bowl)...
However, I KNOW you guys scored on your last possession to take the lead - and we likely had subs in. Lutz never cared about "winning" scrimmages.
Now - back to the 2021 game...

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

It doesn't matter about past teams on either side of the field. What matters is the 2021 edition of the Wheelersburg Pirates and the Ironton Fighting Tigers. Both have had great seasons so far and their ups and downs. It is amusing to me how folks have said Coach Pendleton gets out coached. He has taken you to a title shot the last 2 years. Where was you before him and after Coach Lutz? And to say Coach Woodward of the Burg gets out coached is amusing as well. He gets every ounce of talent our of every kid on the team. These are both great ball clubs. This is what makes Southern Ohio football great. The chance to watch a game with 2 of the best around the state.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

LockHerUp wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:39 am Yabba...,
I hate when threads get sidetracked. But, I have to call you out on that whopper about wheelersburg "beating the snot" out of Ironton in 1979. I played in that scrimmage. I don't remember every detail. It was a scrimmage. No big deal (although you'd have thought you guys won the super bowl)...
However, I KNOW you guys scored on your last possession to take the lead - and we likely had subs in. Lutz never cared about "winning" scrimmages.
Now - back to the 2021 game...

That's my point. It was a scrimmage. Didn't mean a hill of beans then and scrimmages don't mean squat now.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

The Nature Boy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:48 am It doesn't matter about past teams on either side of the field. What matters is the 2021 edition of the Wheelersburg Pirates and the Ironton Fighting Tigers. Both have had great seasons so far and their ups and downs. It is amusing to me how folks have said Coach Pendleton gets out coached. He has taken you to a title shot the last 2 years. Where was you before him and after Coach Lutz? And to say Coach Woodward of the Burg gets out coached is amusing as well. He gets every ounce of talent our of every kid on the team. These are both great ball clubs. This is what makes Southern Ohio football great. The chance to watch a game with 2 of the best around the state.

You are totally correct.

Bottom line is Burg has wanted this rematch since week 1 and here it is. Time to put up or shut up. Burg thinks they have a shot this time around and I guess we will see co9me Saturday night about 10pm.

Whichever team loses, it won't be the end of the world. They will pick themselves up and start working on the next meeting next August. Both have a lot of talent coming back so this should be a dandy the next few years.

Broad Street
Riding the Bench

Re: Ironton vs burg at Portsmouth coliseum

Post by Broad Street »

Will there be any sort of live stream for this game? I am in Columbus, but would love to watch.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

There may be a surprise or two Saturday night.

Return to “Football”