OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Re: OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Post by Sonny Weaver »

85inside wrote: Mon May 10, 2010 9:18 am A lot of speculation about Logan, Chillicothe and Warren darting from the SEOAL. What is the OVC and the SEOAL merged? You could call it the Southern Ohio Valley League.

Coal Grove
South Point
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Jackson
River Valley
Portsmouth

Maybe ask Symmes Valley and Oak Hill in and maybe split into two divisons
been talkin about this for 12 years lol aint gonna happen

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: Is ovc expanding?

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

BigBoneJerome wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:26 am OVC1
Spring Valley
Jackson
Cabell midland
Huntington high
Ironton
Ashland
Portsmouth
Russell

OVC2
South point
Coal grove
Fairland
Rock hill
Chesapeake
Green
Oak hill
Northwest
This is the dumbest I’ve seen yet lol.

Why would Portsmouth agree to that?
Also why would Green agree to that?

People seem to only live in the moment when making these posts. Green is having a good year. That said Northwest did beat them, Rock Hill would likely beat them. South Point would give them a game, Coal Grove and Fairland would put a running clock on them. Fairland & CG would have a field day in this conference that ultimately wouldn’t help them come playoffs. Portsmouth wouldn’t win a game if that were this year, maybe Russell, I think they may be down a bit this year. Ashland would probably be a good game, they already lost to SV, although it was a good game. Midland, Jackson & Ironton all beat them. Hungtington may be a decent game. This one is pretty bad.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Is ovc expanding?

Post by Beergogglebluez »

mattash wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:08 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:20 am I laugh at seeing people put Portsmouth with Jackson, burg, spring valley and cabell midland lol. Trojans have improved The past few years but not on those levels like the Trojans of old.
They almost beat spring valley lol
Almost is not a win lol

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

A merge has to happen. then all AD's, Principals, and Super sit down in a BIG room and work out the Logistics that again would Benefit ALL SCHOOLS at a Competitive Situation. That would be a Start.

sparksgl1
Waterboy

Post by sparksgl1 »

There is no reason for the SOC to change.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

sparksgl1 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:37 pm There is no reason for the SOC to change.
Valley, NW, Oak Hill have no business playing either SOC 1 or 2 the way it's currently set up. Too good for 1, too bad for 2.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

sparksgl1 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:37 pm There is no reason for the SOC to change.
There are more schools in the SOC than the one you cheer for. The SOC has teams in it that are outmatched in numbers for div 1 and are too big for div 2. There will be expansion and there will be another division.
So get ready for it.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

pmow3 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:56 pm
There are more schools in the SOC than the one you cheer for. The SOC has teams in it that are outmatched in numbers for div 1 and are too big for div 2. There will be expansion and there will be another division.
So get ready for it.
Hopefully it will be a football only thing. But it needs to be done.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

I think that is the key, it seems like most are mainly thinking about football when this comes up. There are so many other sports to consider when thinking about competitive balance. I would be interested to see a spreadsheet of all the schools in soc/ovc and any others mentioned here, with all the boys/girls sports they offer - along with enrollment numbers. I think that would be a good place to start. Then you can begin to cross reference with wins per season/ playoff wins/ conference wins.... and so forth... that is if you were looking at creating leagues and trying to keep them competitively balanced.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I could see oak hill to the ovc and valley. Northwest is a hike for Lawrence county teams. Ovc is majority Lawrence county teams. But I like it the way it is now.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

With the new road Valley and NW have much easier trips to Lawrence Co than they used to have

It would be great for these two conferences to get together and work something out

Would Waverly and West want to play Ironton every year in football?
Last edited by HERO on Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

So get ready for it.
Exactly. People need to get it out of their heads that there is a solution that's perfect for everybody. But the biggest issue right now for both the SOC and OVC is the competitive disparity in football divisions. And like you said, the "merger" could be for football only and no other sports affected.

Football-only divisions:

Division 1
Ironton
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
Waverly
West

Division 2
Minford
Valley
Northwest
Oak Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Rock Hill

Division 3
Notre Dame
Green
East
Symmes Valley
South Gallia
Beaver Eastern

In an ideal world, Jackson would be added, and join either OVC or SOC for their other sports. If not, Minford could go either D1 or D2. It's not perfect, but it would be a lot better than current setup of both conferences for football*

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

The new highway is making it doable now.
Rock hill posted on its Facebook that they were discussing g conferences at their next meeting.
A fair 3 division conference is likely. With playoff expansion, it helps schools to play schools their own size.
Some of the OVC will be left out in my opinion. But a lot of them will join in the next 3 years. In my opinion.
This is no longer just internet BS. There are actual discussions going on. I hope in 2 years, they can have something new in place.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:36 pm
So get ready for it.
Exactly. People need to get it out of their heads that there is a solution that's perfect for everybody. But the biggest issue right now for both the SOC and OVC is the competitive disparity in football divisions. And like you said, the "merger" could be for football only and no other sports affected.

Football-only divisions:

Division 1
Ironton
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
Waverly
West

Division 2
Minford
Valley
Northwest
Oak Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Rock Hill

Division 3
Notre Dame
Green
East
Symmes Valley
South Gallia
Beaver Eastern

I can’t see Ironton being asked to join. Gallia either.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

So it would be select OVC schools not all? Might be hard to do, unless Ironton goes independent.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

pmow: if Ironton and Gallia not included, just move Minford up to Division 1. I would assume Ironton and Gallia try to join FAC at that point.*

80sballer
Waterboy

Post by 80sballer »

Just a hunch of what will happen. SOC and OVC merge. There will be 3 divisions. Conferences set up for football and then conferences set up for all other sports. So some schools could be middle tier for all sports and then be in small tier for football for example or vice versa.

sparksgl1
Waterboy

Post by sparksgl1 »

So get ready for it.
Which schools from soc 1 are too big for division 2? Northwest will be moving back to div 2 next season. Valley and Oakhill have been successful in recent memory. Just because they aren't competitive right now doesn't mean things will stay that way.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:16 pm I could see oak hill to the ovc and valley. Northwest is a hike for Lawrence county teams. Ovc is majority Lawrence county teams. But I like it the way it is now.
I could be wrong but I think in Oak Hill's situation, If ( And I mean a big "If") Oak Hill was looking to move to another Conference, they might look to the TVC before the OVC. I'm not sure of the years, but I'm pretty sure that Oak Hill was in the OVC back in the 1950's/1960's.

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Meeting at Rock Hill….. coal grove, south point, Chesapeake, valley, northwest, oak hill, Symmes invited

Post by BigBoneJerome »

What’s this about?

Return to “Football”