SEOPS

Re: OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Post by wobycat »

pmow3 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:47 pm
Blitz wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:29 pm I can sum this up with THREE words:
1. NEVER
2. GONNA
3. HAPPEN
What part do you think is never gonna happen?
Because it looks like Rock hill is ready to do it.
Maybe the entire conference won’t join, but there will be some that leave only be because most schools are trying to get away from Ironton.
Could be a lot of truth to this from what I’m hearing, Ironton is definitely part of the discussion not in a good way. Hopefully the ads around here include Ironton or the tigers could be looking for a conference outside of the ovc and the SOC. I can’t see the SOC letting them in.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

1. NEVER
2. GONNA
3. HAPPEN
Maybe the entire conference won’t join, but there will be some that leave only be because most schools are trying to get away from Ironton.
I was referring to the Title of the topic. Now will the Soc take in a school they deem to fit. Probably. Also rock hill leaving or wanting to join the soc is one thing. Getting voted in not so easy. Just ask portsmouth. Personally what does rock hill bring to the table???

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Blitz wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:13 pm
1. NEVER
2. GONNA
3. HAPPEN
I was referring to the Title of the topic. Now will the Soc take in a school they deem to fit. Probably. Also rock hill leaving or wanting to join the soc is one thing. Getting voted in not so easy. Just ask portsmouth. Personally what does rock hill bring to the table???
I’d like to think Rock Hill has already been assured they’d be admitted to SOC prior to taking a vote to leave the OVC. Will be interesting to hear from people who was at their board meeting today (i.e. was SOC rep there and what other OVC schools were present?).

But sounds like this may be more of a defection of certain OVC schools as opposed to a merger of both conferences.*

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

1. NEVER
2. GONNA
3. HAPPEN
Nothing. They are in a jam. Not good enough to play the upper SOC and too good to play the bottom half. I’m starting to think you may need 3 divisions in a conference. 5 or 6 conference games and the rest play who you want

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:26 pm

Nothing. They are in a jam. Not good enough to play the upper SOC and too good to play the bottom half. I’m starting to think you may need 3 divisions in a conference. 5 or 6 conference games and the rest play who you want

Still don’t see a way it works. Let’s say the OVC & SOC merged. You have your big teams Burg, Waverly, Gallia, Ironton, for fun add Jackson. Middle group you have Minford, Fairland, Portsmouth, West, Valley, Coal Grove.
Bottom group you have the current SOC 1. So where do those OVC teams go? Middle of the pack just to not beat any of those teams listed. Bottom group to beat up on some of the schools they are bigger than? Northwest, South Point, Chesapeake & Rock Hill are all bigger than those schools, they may not beat them year in and out. I think ND a lot of years would give them a game, maybe SV too. But what good does it do for those smaller schools to admit NW, SP, RH & Peake? What good does it do for those ; to take year losses to West, Fairland, Minford, Portsmouth, Valley & CG? Moving Fairland, West or Portsmouth up to the top group doesn’t work well either. Those schools would all beat those ones more often than not. Almost think you need 4 divisions but that’s really pushing it.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:24 pm

I’d like to think Rock Hill has already been assured they’d be admitted to SOC prior to taking a vote to leave the OVC. Will be interesting to hear from people who was at their board meeting today (i.e. was SOC rep there and what other OVC schools were present?).

But sounds like this may be more of a defection of certain OVC schools as opposed to a merger of both conferences.*
Agreed. But either way, it will be interesting to see who all the SOC gets and what the OVC ends up doing.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

You would have to think, if true, that Rock Hill would not leave the OVC without an already guaranteed acceptance into another conference. Would they fit logistically in another conference besides the OVC or SOC?

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

TVC-Ohio maybe? They already play Vinton County, Meigs.. Played River Valley a lot before.. Not sure if they have ever played Athens or Nelsonville. Long trips though.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Football will be over in a couple of weeks and then no one will care either way.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

TigerBob wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:56 pm
522Pirate wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:34 pm You would have to think, if true, that Rock Hill would not leave the OVC without an already guaranteed acceptance into another conference. Would they fit logistically in another conference besides the OVC or SOC?
Them and Coal Grove forming the Handshake League

Don't forget Pendleton

sportsnutscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsnutscioto »

This has been a fun thread to follow. There are lots of logical theoretical scenarios that have been outlined here. But I think the largest factor that has to be considered is simply transportation. Bus driver shortages and increased gas prices make conference realigned a potential budget saver for many schools. I feel any school(s) looking to switch conferences needs to make that a priority. There are a lot of schools that have issues making early scheduled game start times due to bus/bus driver issues.

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

It's funny the SOC would bring the 5 OVC schools to make a 3 tier league. Coal Grove would be happy,they could possibly win a conference title each year or at least be in the hunt. Burg doesnt want Ironton in for that reason. Remember it has to be unanimous to bring teams in. What's odd about all this is SP,RH,Chessy havent been in contention for a league title in years. But dominate other sports within the OVC. So this move would be about football? I'm lost here

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

mattash wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:48 pm TVC-Ohio maybe? They already play Vinton County, Meigs.. Played River Valley a lot before.. Not sure if they have ever played Athens or Nelsonville. Long trips though.
The only way that would work is if the TVC did a complete restructuring imo. We would also need to add a “gap” school because none of the current TVC schools border Rock Hill. Oak Hill would fit in that regard.

If the TVC added Rock Hill and Oak Hill and restructured, it could work. Highly doubtful though.

VC
Oak Hill
Wellston
Rock Hill
Meigs
River Valley
Gallia Academy
Athens

Trimble
Nelsonville York
Waterford
Belpre
Federal Hocking
Eastern
Southern
Alexander

Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

Dundas wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:42 pm
mattash wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:48 pm TVC-Ohio maybe? They already play Vinton County, Meigs.. Played River Valley a lot before.. Not sure if they have ever played Athens or Nelsonville. Long trips though.
The only way that would work is if the TVC did a complete restructuring imo. We would also need to add a “gap” school because none of the current TVC schools border Rock Hill. Oak Hill would fit in that regard.

If the TVC added Rock Hill and Oak Hill and restructured, it could work. Highly doubtful though.

VC
Oak Hill
Wellston
Rock Hill
Meigs
River Valley
Gallia Academy
Athens

Trimble
Nelsonville York
Waterford
Belpre
Federal Hocking
Eastern
Southern
Alexander
Don’t think NY should be in lower division. Would not be a fan of this at all.

Go Bucks!!
Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Not talking this game, Pendleton first year in league wouldn't shake hands with Portsmouth after he got beat

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Any legs to this or just people talking?

SOCobserver
Waterboy

Post by SOCobserver »

This thread is 12 years old. I know Oak Hill has talked to Northwest about a new conference but not merging the two existing conferences. It all goes through the ex Rock Hill people. Scarberry from NW, Kratz from Oak, Knipp from Peake, Gue from South Point, Bowman from Symmes Valley. All ex RH people. Hopper from Rock Hill has been talking to them.

522Jefferson
Waterboy

Post by 522Jefferson »

I heard Huntington St Joe was starting a football team in 2024. Maybe some of the OVC teams would be interested in forming a league with HSJ.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

TigerBob-are some of the schools looking to make a move other than the ones all ready mentioned that are?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:52 pm TigerBob-are some of the schools looking to make a move other than the ones all ready mentioned that are?
I won’t act like I know. Just opining with what I’ve heard around town with obvious lay of the land stuff. Chesapeake, South Point, and Minford are schools I have little no clue about but could all really make a new league appealing if they jumped. Forced to guess:

Minford: Happy in SOC unless something really great came along. Don’t think “New OVC” would be it.

Chesapeake: Would go with RH and CG into NOVC if it made sense and looked stable.

South Point: Would prefer to stay in OVC but if it’s collapsing, would look to stay with Lawrence County schools to protect long term rivalries.

Return to “Football”