Wheelersburg 35 - 14 Valley 2022

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Re: WK9 Wheelersburg - Valley

Post by Fan of the youth »

I believe the Valley senior class had around 18-19 8th graders. They now have 12 seniors. I know a couple left the district and I think a few went soccer only. The Junior class I believe has always had low participation in football for some reason. It seems to me more boys come out for basketball than football at Valley. Wheelersburg's numbers are impressive, but they are in all sports and activities.

Valley has been impressive the last couple of weeks with their fight and effort. They will be battle tested for the playoffs for sure. I was surprised to pay for the feed but it was worth the price.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Fan of the youth wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52 pm I believe the Valley senior class had around 18-19 8th graders. They now have 12 seniors. I know a couple left the district and I think a few went soccer only. The Junior class I believe has always had low participation in football for some reason. It seems to me more boys come out for basketball than football at Valley. Wheelersburg's numbers are impressive, but they are in all sports and activities.

Valley has been impressive the last couple of weeks with their fight and effort. They will be battle tested for the playoffs for sure. I was surprised to pay for the feed but it was worth the price.

So Valley loses half of there team for next year. Will they be able to field a team? Wasn’t there Freshman already playing tonight?

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I don’t understand how people forget that our school is sitting at 115 boys 10-12 and Burg is at 165. And Waverly is over 210.
This is why there are rumors of Valley, oak Hill and others hoping for a 3rd division in football.
Our sophomore and Junior classes just don’t have a lot of kids that are football players. The ones we have are tough kids. But the numbers are just down.
We aren’t ducking Burg, west and Waverly.
We never really have. But we are just down on numbers.
When you do the math and see 40 to 50 less boys in your school, you can expect this to happen.
The 8th grade class is solid. If they stay. I expect they will. Most of them are “Valley people” and I don’t see them leaving. But until then, these kids are fighting.

But let’s realize the numbers and understand it.
In other sports, we are right there with all the rest. But football takes 35-40 to be able to have quality practices and depth. And we just don’t have that right now.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:08 pm
Fan of the youth wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52 pm I believe the Valley senior class had around 18-19 8th graders. They now have 12 seniors. I know a couple left the district and I think a few went soccer only. The Junior class I believe has always had low participation in football for some reason. It seems to me more boys come out for basketball than football at Valley. Wheelersburg's numbers are impressive, but they are in all sports and activities.

So Valley loses half of there team for next year. Will they be able to field a team? Wasn’t there Freshman already playing tonight?
We will be in the mid to high 20’s again next year. But many of them will be freshmen. That’s why there have been many wanting to see us either drop or expand the conference for football.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Wheelersburg 35 - 14 Valley 2022

Post by mattash »

Wheelersburg 35 - 14 Valley

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

pmow3 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:17 pm

We will be in the mid to high 20’s again next year. But many of them will be freshmen. That’s why there have been many wanting to see us either drop or expand the conference for football.
The enrollment is an issue for football. Wonder why they can’t just change it or every two years since it’s contractual.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Great question.

But why can’t we take in a few of these OVC schools that want to get away from Ironton and create 3 divisions?

But yes. I agree it needs to be addressed every other year. My guess is the SOC 1 doesn’t want us. So that brings me back to why shouldn’t we expand and take in Rock Hill, Coal Grove and Portsmouth.
Last edited by pmow3 on Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

And South Point and Chesapeake for that matter.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

If Burg were “forced” to have to take in Fairland Gallia and Portsmouth into the SOC, it would be a hell of a division.

WB
West
Portsmouth
Fairland
Gallia
Waverly.

If you kept Ironton on your schedule, you’d be looking for 4 games to fill your schedule. Most likely, Minford could stay on your schedule even tho they may be in the lower division.
Then you’d need 3 games. Just like you always do.

And it evens the playing field for all these schools.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

pmow3 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:34 pm If Burg were “forced” to have to take in Fairland Gallia and Portsmouth into the SOC, it would be a hell of a division.

WB
West
Portsmouth
Fairland
Gallia
Waverly.

If you kept Ironton on your schedule, you’d be looking for 4 games to fill your schedule. Most likely, Minford could stay on your schedule even tho they may be in the lower division.
Then you’d need 3 games. Just like you always do.

And it evens the playing field for all these schools.
Football is just a different animal. The other sports don’t really matter. It’s definitely a weird scenario

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

What’s weird about it?
Would that kind of realignment really cost Burg that many gold footballs?
I mean. Is that what you’re worried about? I don’t think you’d be hurting at all if you did it. You guys would still be the heavy favorite every year.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

The fact remains the participation % is low at Valley. If Valley was going 10-0 they would have more players out, but would players that come out late in high school to just be on a winning team really help that much? The numbers are low throughout all grades. The good news is I read on another thread the Valley coach is working on the entire system. I look forward to improved numbers and the program that will accompany it.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

The numbers definitely will improve.
The pee wee system is fine and 7th and 8th are decent classes.
The great news is the ones playing now, have answered the bell and are fighting now.
Leading by example is what young kids see. We have to keep the ones we have. Losing the 3 we lost to other schools hurt our depth this year. That’s hard to deny.
But the ones that are here are fighting. And it’s great to see.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Should be about high 20’s with 20 being freshman and sophomore’s that’s if all the 8th graders play

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Valley has fought hard last couple of weeks and I look for them to win next week but I think they will make the playoffs even with a loss but as long as valley doesn’t play that juggernaut #1 seed I think they have a chance to beat any of the other teams in their region I just don’t see how anyone outside of Marion local could have played a harder schedule

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

pmow3 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:41 pm What’s weird about it?
I mean. Is that what you’re worried about? I don’t think you’d be hurting at all if you did it. You guys would still be the heavy favorite every year.
What are you even talking about? I was just pointing out how football is different than the other sports and is the reason behind all the realignment talk. Everyone is wanting to start new conferences based on one sport? That’s why it’s weird.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:19 am
What are you even talking about? I was just pointing out how football is different than the other sports and is the reason behind all the realignment talk. Everyone is wanting to start new conferences based on one sport? That’s why it’s weird.
Oh. I see. I thought you were making a point that football is different and it would be weird to join with those schools for competition reasons.
I read your post wrong.
I just really want to see this happen. It’s been long overdue and travel is so much easier than it used to be.
A 3 division SOC would make for exciting games every week for all schools.
Only doing it for football may be weird… But football is where fan passion lies over all other sports. Health and safety are twice as important in football as any other sport. That is why I would like to see comparable schools play each other instead of schools 2x the size of another with 3x the size of a roster play.
It’s an easier fix than people are making it out to be.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

pmow3 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:16 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:19 am
Oh. I see. I thought you were making a point that football is different and it would be weird to join with those schools.
I read your post wrong.
I just really want to see this happen. It’s been long overdue and travel is so much easier than it used to be.
A 3 division SOC would make for exciting games every week for all schools.
Burg has a high participation in football even with soccer which helps. Throw in tradition and good coaching and Those three things will help you win more football games even when you may not have the best talent on the field. I think All the other sports are cyclical.

Which goes along with your point. When you have low numbers in football, you’re forced to play underclassmen who aren’t ready physically. Makes it tough to compete

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

As always, one of these games in the playoffs and it's time for basketball.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Oldtimer55 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:07 pm
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:59 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:55 pm Burg jumped out 21 points. Was dominating the game. Was about to kick a field goal when valley made an amazing block for a return td. Went to half 21-6

Valley gets a great return second half on the kick off and throws a td 21-14

Then burg buckled down and put it away in the third. 35-14

Wasn’t pretty but burg was never in trouble. Burg tried a lot of different sets/play after going up by 21. Some were successful but most were tough to get off.
Coaches should have called a time out on that FG attempt. You had a man running in late and that made them rush the kick.
Sloppy for sure but got it done! Valley has some nice lineman and some good athletes at the skill positions just no depth dressing 24 tonight

PAT before that was almost blocked too. Had 10 men on the field then Arthur came running in late, snapped with about 4 seconds on game clock. Should have definitely called the timeout. Blocked and returned for a touchdown.

Valleys starters are legitimate for a D6 team, just absolutely no depth. Colten Buckle was everywhere and had a heck of a game for the Indians.

Burg worked on the Passing Game in the second quarter and BOY WAS THAT ATROCIOUS.
Burg knew they could’ve ran all over Valley, used the time to get some live reps for Jones & Co. Can’t blame the kids for not getting up for this one, they took care of business in the 3rd — onto the rock for a chance at the SOC title.

Return to “Football”