Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Forget Week 9 for the soc . West vs Wheelersburg for the gold ball

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:00 am
scott1297 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:16 am
ItownFootball wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:00 am If west can stop the big run plays they win, wheelerburg has 0 passing game.
Burgs passing game is better than what you think
It most definitely is not.
How about this? It’s not as bad as you think

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: WK10 Gold Ball Special West vs Wheelersburg

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg came out on fire in the first quarter last night and then just lost there swag because it looked like it was going to be another blowout. The blocked FG for a TD was a huge momentum swing for Valley. Burg got that swagger back in the 4th qtr and put them away!!
They will be up for this game. Lot on the line in this game. SOC title plus big computer points. Possible top 4 for either team with the potential for two home playoff games. I don’t see West stopping Burg’s 5 headed monsters at RB in both Lattimore’s, Jones, Warren and Glover. If Burg is running the ball and getting positive yards then no reason to pass.

Everyone on here can see that Jones can throw the ball on the run when he rolls to the right so why in the hell does Burg play caller keep rolling him to the LEFT when he can’t make that throw!!!

Unbelievable how dumb that is!! I don’t think he’s completed a pass rolling that way all year!!

Burg has a deep threat in E. Lattimore!! They tried twice and connected once and got a PI on the other one. Plus Arthur is a great TE that they need to utilize more. Quick passes to him right off the line can turn into big gainers.

Guarantee if a team stacks the box to stop the run they will burn them with the pass.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Is confirmed we lost a very important Senior lineman last night to a broken leg. As bad as I hate to say it, that alone affects the game alot due to our depth situation.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:09 am
scott1297 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:16 am

Burgs passing game is better than what you think
It’s certainly not good. I thought it was getting better but it was terrible last night. Can they hit a long one every once in awhile, yes. Don’t like the burgs chances if they ever have to throw the ball consistently in order to move the ball in a big game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JTEK wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:22 pm

It’s certainly not good. I thought it was getting better but it was terrible last night. Can they hit a long one every once in awhile, yes. Don’t like the burgs chances if they ever have to throw the ball consistently in order to move the ball in a big game.
Have you seen kirtland play? Against D2 lakeside they won 38-7. Passing stats 2 for 8. 31 Yards. 1 touchdown 1 pick
Last edited by wobycat on Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:42 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:37 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:04 am

Scott cmon, you know it’s not.
He can hit the PA pass on occasion, as long as he’s rolling right. But to ask for him to sit in the pocket and throw isn’t gonna happen. Last night I saw him go to a second read ONCE and he hit E Lattimore on the left hash, and Lattimore does what he does and got plenty of YAC.

If jones could do that 5x a game it’d be something. But he’s just proven time and time again he’s not capable. Great kid, GREAT runner, adds a total different dynamic to the run game for us which will win a few games in the playoffs..just isn’t a passing QB.
When burg won the state game, they really weren’t a run team. They passed to set up the run. It’s the opposite now. Run to set up the pass. Jones will be fine. If he completes over 50% of his attempts in a game, burgs offense is hard to defend.
Thats fine in theory, I think I disagree however — I think you need to be more pass dominant in todays game to go to state — but all that is irrelevant because its year 2 with Jones at QB and he’s not shown that he can sit in a pocket and complete 50% of passes. Play action rollout to his right where he has an option to tuck and run is the only time he looks comfortable throwing.
Last edited by JTEK on Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Have you seen kirtland play? Against D2 lakeside they won 38-7. Passing stats 2 for 8. 31 Yards. 1 touchdown 1 pick
Brian whites team would also be a good example of a team that very rarely ever passed and had success. I didn’t say burg couldn’t win with just a run game. I said if they have to rely on the pass to win I don’t like there chances.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JTEK wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:33 pm
Brian whites team would also be a good example of a team that very rarely ever passed and had success. I didn’t say burg couldn’t win with just a run game. I said if they have to rely on the pass to win I don’t like there chances.
I understand what you’re saying. In a two minute drill or if they have to pass to come back Maybe they would insert the freshman. But I don’t think they need it to advance. Their run game has honestly been there since game one. Just needed tweaked.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:37 pm

I understand what you’re saying. In a two minute drill or if they have to pass to come back I think they would insert the freshman. But I don’t think they need it to advance. Their run game has honestly been there since game one. Just needed tweaked.
Agree, not really sure why they haven’t brought him in more just to get some reps in a game. Asking a lot of a freshman who hasn’t played much to come into a big game and lead your team to a comeback win.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I think the Burg has very good coaches, but some times they do things that make you scratch your head.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:13 pm Is confirmed we lost a very important Senior lineman last night to a broken leg. As bad as I hate to say it, that alone affects the game alot due to our depth situation.
Dang that’s awful news

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JTEK wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:40 pm
I understand what you’re saying. In a two minute drill or if they have to pass to come back I think they would insert the freshman. But I don’t think they need it to advance. Their run game has honestly been there since game one. Just needed tweaked.
Agree, not really sure why they haven’t brought him in more just to get some reps in a game. Asking a lot of a freshman who hasn’t played much to come into a big game and lead your team to a comeback win.
They probably hope it doesn’t come to that. They really haven’t been in that type of game. The freshman is good but he’s not there on the physical part.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:59 pm

They probably hope it doesn’t come to that. They really haven’t been in that type of game. The freshman is good but he’s not there on the physical part.
If there plan is to bring him in if they have to pass or come from behind than he should have gotten some reps. Jones really doesn’t run that much. Maybe avg 2-3 designed runs a game. That also hurts. Usually if 95% of your offense is on the ground your QB is usually a big part of that total.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:54 am
Paulcrew wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:49 am winner gets harvest prep in 3rd round, loser gets ironton
That would mean that Burg with a win would move to 3rd in the region I dont think that's gonna happen even with a win I think Burg at best will get the 4th spot possible even the 5th spot which means they will play Ironton in the 3rd round if they make it that far.. Barnsville and Centerburg will probably end up in the 3 and 4 spots but I would love to see Burg get 2 home games but on the other hand if West wins they will definitely end up 3rd in the region and play Prep in the 3rd round if they would make it that far
I agree, Burg with a win would need Centerburg to lose to 6-3 Fredericktown to get in the top 4. I think Barnesville stays in the top 4 even with a loss to Union Local.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I look forward to going to Centerburg and beating them on their home field. But first let’s go win the SOC!

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

522Pirate wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:14 pm I look forward to going to Centerburg and beating them on their home field. But first let’s go win the SOC!
Thats what I said the other night that I would love to drive all the way to centerburg and beat them but centerburg needs to win their first playoff game and honestly that's not a given especially if they have to face Heath or Columbus Academy

Burg grad 85
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

That’s our weakness. Take the run away like Versailles did last year and we become one dimensional. We rarely have to pass but if we HAD to, it could get us into some trouble. Our O-line very rarely lose the battle up front

6O HORN3TS 🐝
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

JTEK wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:19 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:59 pm

If there plan is to bring him in if they have to pass or come from behind than he should have gotten some reps. Jones really doesn’t run that much. Maybe avg 2-3 designed runs a game. That also hurts. Usually if 95% of your offense is on the ground your QB is usually a big part of that total.

Jones doesn’t have to run much and he shouldn’t run much. Burg has 4 runners who are capable of taking one to the house anytime they touch it. Lattimore x2, Glover and Warren!! I still don’t know why they don’t go to a full house backfield with Glover, Warren and D. Lattimore and keep E. Lattimore split out and put him in motion for a possible jet sweep and then run behind that line. Mix in a pass every now and then to the TE, Caleb Arthur and I think they become a very dangerous team. It’s crazy how often Arthur breaks free wide open and Jones day rent see him.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:13 pm Is confirmed we lost a very important Senior lineman last night to a broken leg. As bad as I hate to say it, that alone affects the game alot due to our depth situation.
I hate to hear that; I don't like seeing any injuries but especially hate it when it takes out a Seniors final year. I was on the West wagon all off-season and most of the season up until the point I got to see both play and I just don't know that West can take this one especially with the injury on the line. I'm going to say Burg 24-14. West needs this one though these next 2 years is where they were supposed to be built to win the league and they still can it's just they've got to be better

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:35 am Burg came out on fire in the first quarter last night and then just lost there swag because it looked like it was going to be another blowout. The blocked FG for a TD was a huge momentum swing for Valley. Burg got that swagger back in the 4th qtr and put them away!!
They will be up for this game. Lot on the line in this game. SOC title plus big computer points. Possible top 4 for either team with the potential for two home playoff games. I don’t see West stopping Burg’s 5 headed monsters at RB in both Lattimore’s, Jones, Warren and Glover. If Burg is running the ball and getting positive yards then no reason to pass.

Everyone on here can see that Jones can throw the ball on the run when he rolls to the right so why in the hell does Burg play caller keep rolling him to the LEFT when he can’t make that throw!!!

Unbelievable how dumb that is!! I don’t think he’s completed a pass rolling that way all year!!

Burg has a deep threat in E. Lattimore!! They tried twice and connected once and got a PI on the other one. Plus Arthur is a great TE that they need to utilize more. Quick passes to him right off the line can turn into big gainers.

Guarantee if a team stacks the box to stop the run they will burn them with the pass.
Both Lattimores are outstanding they need be utilized as much as possible, the speed from the one and the power from the other is so complimentary

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion

Return to “Football”