Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

callie15
Varsity

Re: WK10 Gold Ball Special West vs Wheelersburg

Post by callie15 »

Chances are Burg would get called for holding, just like any other game.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

callie15 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:57 pm Chances are Burg would get called for holding, just like any other game.
If referees were consistent in calling the holding on the edges they would get called for a lot more.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:03 pm
callie15 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:57 pm Chances are Burg would get called for holding, just like any other game.
If referees were consistent in calling the holding on the edges they would get called for a lot more.
You could call holding on literally every play. The trick is not getting caught. Because it’s going to happen. Usually holding is called when someone goes to the ground or gets spun around or the obvious ones.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:20 pm
You could call holding on literally every play. The trick is not getting caught. Because it’s going to happen. Usually holding is called when someone goes to the ground or gets spun around or the obvious ones.
Good answer. At least you do admit it happens. And I don’t blame them for doing it because they get a huge advantage from it

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Westfan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:57 pm

Good answer. At least you do admit it happens. And I don’t blame them for doing it because they get a huge advantage from it
Every team from pee wees to the pros could have holding called on every play. Like Woby said, it’s usually the obvious ones that are called.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Are you saying Wheelersburg’s advantage in football is due to players getting away with holding?

Alen Peters
Waterboy

Post by Alen Peters »

Does West really throw the ball now? When I played for the Pirates way back in the day it was all ground and pound.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:56 pm

Every team from pee wees to the pros could have holding called on every play. Like Woby said, it’s usually the obvious ones that are called.
To a large degree it also varies from crew to crew. Those guys ( And Gals ) that wear those black and white shirts. Some Crews are a lot quicker to call it than others. I agree, it could probably be called about every play if they wanted to call it. Human Nature I guess.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I know there is holding at all levels, and it is not called lots of times. But it seems, it is called at times, that it hurts the team the most. Good gaining plays , but that gain won't be there, if it wasn't for a hold. It's going to happen , so play on.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:24 pm Are you saying Wheelersburg’s advantage in football is due to players getting away with holding?
No I didn’t.

What I did say is they do it well and they do get an advantage from it mainly from the wideouts and wings on the the Jet plays.

Yes you can call holding every play. On the interior is one thing. One on one on the edges where you are the force player has to be called.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:20 am
RBH23 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:24 pm Are you saying Wheelersburg’s advantage in football is due to players getting away with holding?
No I didn’t.

What I did say is they do it well and they do get an advantage from it mainly from the wideouts and wings on the the Jet plays.

Yes you can call holding every play. On the interior is one thing. One on one on the edges where you are the force player has to be called.
Actually Burg has been called quite a bit on it, the trick is to anticipate the block enough until the runner can get past then let go, otherwise natural instinct kicks in and a player will tend to grab.

SiderSam
Waterboy

Post by SiderSam »

I think we can pull this one out in a tight game, but Lord please don’t let them get ahold of our Waverly film!🙏🏻

🟠⬛️WESTSIDE🟠⬛️
Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

SiderSam wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:02 pm I think we can pull this one out in a tight game, but Lord please don’t let them get ahold of our Waverly film!🙏🏻
:lol: uh oh. too late

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Man this thread is a lot milder than they use to be.

Tennessee finally got it done against Bama, I think this series resembles that rivalry. It’s been long enough, I think it’s time time for a win. Strike up Rocky Top at The Rock, I’m going with the Sierra in an upset.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
DJT47
Riding the Bench

Post by DJT47 »

Alen Peters wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:30 pm Does West really throw the ball now? When I played for the Pirates way back in the day it was all ground and pound.
😆 you played the clarinet in the band AP

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Alen Peters wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:30 pm Does West really throw the ball now? When I played for the Pirates way back in the day it was all ground and pound.
Definitely the most passing I’ve ever seen a West team do. Very balanced, with a physical running game, but the best QB I’ve ever seen throw the ball at the school.

Alen Peters
Waterboy

Post by Alen Peters »

DJT47 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:04 am
😆 you played the clarinet in the band AP
Must be the wrong Alen Peters. I was a middle linebacker in 81, we beat west 10-6 at Ed. I remember recovering a fumble to secure the win.

SiderSam
Waterboy

Post by SiderSam »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:51 am
SiderSam wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:02 pm I think we can pull this one out in a tight game, but Lord please don’t let them get ahold of our Waverly film!🙏🏻
:lol: uh oh. too late
Darn ;) I do hope they learned a lot from that game, They didn’t adjust well and became very predictable. It was a scary site. Let’s hope the ship was corrected!

🟠⬛️WESTSIDE🟠⬛️
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

SiderBlood wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:11 am
Definitely the most passing I’ve ever seen a West team do. Very balanced, with a physical running game, but the best QB I’ve ever seen throw the ball at the school.
Better than "the portsmouth west gunslinger"? ....

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

packers80 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:11 am
Better than "the portsmouth west gunslinger"? ....
You will have to freshen my memory on the “Portsmouth west gunslinger”. I don’t think I’m familiar with that nickname lol

Return to “Football”