OVC & SOC Merge Talk

art_vandelay
SE

Re: OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Post by art_vandelay »

SOCobserver wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:51 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:48 pm
SOCobserver wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:40 pm The OVC meeting was today. The votes 4-4 against meeting with the SOC. the OVC is actively recruiting schools. Jackson, OH, Valley and River Valley were all mentioned.
Actively recruiting because they know the 4 that voted for it are probably dead set that something is going to give.
The 4 that voted against it were Gallia, Fairland, Portsmouth and South Point.
Surprised on South Point. Travel must be the issue because their football aint competing in OVC (as currently configured) anytime soon. Portsmouth must figure that they have no shot ever getting in SOC.*

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:47 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:39 pm
SOCobserver wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:40 pm The OVC meeting was today. The votes 4-4 against meeting with the SOC. the OVC is actively recruiting schools. Jackson, OH, Valley and River Valley were all mentioned.
Anybody know how the bylaws for OVC works as far as adding new members (i.e. how much of a majority vote is needed)? I've always heard SOC requires unanimous vote to add members. It's why I'm still skeptical anything of substance gets done (i.e. 3rd division in SOC) unless schools just leave OVC and SOC and start their own new conference.*
If nothing happens I think that’s what you’ll see, the 4 who voted for it just say ok see ya guys we’ll start our own league. Oak Hill, Northwest would leave and Lucasville would consider it. Even if they didn’t that’s 6 teams right there and really only need that once that happened others would follow. Ironton will be left holding the bag.

I don’t think valley would even consider it that would all be up to Darren and I just don’t see him doing it

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

522Pirate wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:43 pm As mentioned before I'm not certain what Jackson would gain from joining either the OVC or the SOC...
“Hey we finally found a stable league of schools of comparable size. Let’s join a less stable league with a bunch of smaller schools!”

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TigerBob wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:56 pm
522Pirate wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:43 pm As mentioned before I'm not certain what Jackson would gain from joining either the OVC or the SOC...
“Hey we finally found a stable league of schools of comparable size. Let’s join a less stable league with a bunch of smaller schools!”
Exactly

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Anybody know how the bylaws for OVC works as far as adding new members (i.e. how much of a majority vote is needed)? I've always heard SOC requires unanimous vote to add members. It's why I'm still skeptical anything of substance gets done (i.e. 3rd division in SOC) unless schools just leave OVC and SOC and start their own new conference.*
If nothing happens I think that’s what you’ll see, the 4 who voted for it just say ok see ya guys we’ll start our own league. Oak Hill, Northwest would leave and Lucasville would consider it. Even if they didn’t that’s 6 teams right there and really only need that once that happened others would follow. Ironton will be left holding the bag.
This is by far the most likely outcome IMO, though I would be surprised if Fairland were willing to join the league with Rock Hill, Coal Grove, Oak Hill, Chesapeake, Northwest, and South Point. Just not a great league for boys and girls basketball, Fairland’s best sports. Now Fairland angling for SOC II, I could see it.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Didn’t the OVC open up to new schools last year with no takers? What’s changed to make any schools interested now?

Valley is highly unlikely due to travel. Jackson has zero incentive.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

TigerBob wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:58 pm

This is by far the most likely outcome IMO, though I would be surprised if Fairland were willing to join the league with Rock Hill, Coal Grove, Oak Hill, Chesapeake, Northwest, and South Point. Just not a great league for boys and girls basketball, Fairland’s best sports. Now Fairland angling for SOC II, I could see it.
Fairland to Waverly for any other game than football would be a haul

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Im surprised Ironton hasnt tried to get in to the FAC even though a lot of their sports would struggle.

Like others have said, Ironton doesn't dominate except for football.

I haven't heard anything from Chesapeake, fairland or South Point about leaving or joining the SOC.

Symmes valley wont leave the SOC, they are one of the larger schools now as soon as Northwest goes up next year.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Why wouldn’t Ironton just go independent for football but stay in the OVC for everything else? The OVC could add 1 team to maintain an even number in the fall. Oak Hill would fit perfectly and I’m sure they would much rather play an OVC schedule in football as opposed to the big school SOC. River Valley could be another option but they had a reason for leaving the OVC before so I’m not sure if they would be interested.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

goUK wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:32 pm Im surprised Ironton hasnt tried to get in to the FAC even though a lot of their sports would struggle.

Like others have said, Ironton doesn't dominate except for football.

I haven't heard anything from Chesapeake, fairland or South Point about leaving or joining the SOC.

Symmes valley wont leave the SOC, they are one of the larger schools now as soon as Northwest goes up next year.
Ironton didn’t want the drive with the teams in the SEAOL, I still think Ironton independent in football would solve all issues.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Dundas wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:04 pm Why wouldn’t Ironton just go independent for football but stay in the OVC for everything else? The OVC could add 1 team to maintain an even number in the fall. Oak Hill would fit perfectly and I’m sure they would much rather play an OVC schedule in football as opposed to the big school SOC. River Valley could be another option but they had a reason for leaving the OVC before so I’m not sure if they would be interested.
This has been my thoughts on Ironton, both Ironton and the league need to understand they simply don’t fit with each other in football.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:00 pm
Didn’t the OVC open up to new schools last year with no takers? What’s changed to make any schools interested now?

Valley is highly unlikely due to travel. Jackson has zero incentive.
Yeah they did at this point if teams aren’t open to change then it’ll be time the other teams step out.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:28 pm
Dundas wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:04 pm Why wouldn’t Ironton just go independent for football but stay in the OVC for everything else? The OVC could add 1 team to maintain an even number in the fall. Oak Hill would fit perfectly and I’m sure they would much rather play an OVC schedule in football as opposed to the big school SOC. River Valley could be another option but they had a reason for leaving the OVC before so I’m not sure if they would be interested.
This has been my thoughts on Ironton, both Ironton and the league need to understand they simply don’t fit with each other in football.
Even if Ironton goes independent only in football, filling a schedule won’t be easy. The first 5 weeks should be easy to schedule, but the last five will be tricky due to conference play.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I have no idea one way or the other, but Oak Hill might fit in the TVC as well or even better than the OVC. OH now plays Wellston every year, and some years are playing Nelsonville-York. I don't know the years, but I'm pretty sure that many moons ago, OH was in the OVC. That is if OH is really thinking about getting out of the SOC.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

According to an old newspaper article that I have, Oak Hill was a charter member of the OVC which was formed in 1954. The Oaks left the OVC after the 1984 season.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:35 pm
Even if Ironton goes independent only in football, filling a schedule won’t be easy. The first 5 weeks should be easy to schedule, but the last five will be tricky due to conference play.
They done it for a long time, and yes you are correct the last 5 might be tough but Ironton has shown they're willing to travel I don't believe it would be as bad as you might think.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:48 pm

They done it for a long time, and yes you are correct the last 5 might be tough but Ironton has shown they're willing to travel I don't believe it would be as bad as you might think.
If Ironton goes independent, Pendleton could try to schedule games against teams from other states than just Kentucky or West Virginia. If his goal is to get them nationally ranked.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

oneoak wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:30 pm According to an old newspaper article that I have, Oak Hill was a charter member of the OVC which was formed in 1954. The Oaks left the OVC after the 1984 season.
Thanks oneoak. I didn't realize that they had been a charter member, but I was pretty sure that they had been in the OVC.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Tartanblue wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:30 am

If Ironton goes independent, Pendleton could try to schedule games against teams from other states than just Kentucky or West Virginia. If his goal is to get them nationally ranked.
Exactly and I don't think he's afraid to do that and to that it's going to cause just that much more buzz for Ironton and SEO.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:56 am
Tartanblue wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:30 am

Exactly and I don't think he's afraid to do that and to that it's going to cause just that much more buzz for Ironton and SEO.
That would be a bad move on their part. Because I dont think the other teams in the conference are not going to allow football only to leave. Ive talked to a couple AD's on it. Ironton is a small school. Only with their high CB is why they are close to D4. They need to stay in OVC - Try to get another larger school team in there, and then choose to play other big schools in the non conference. You can't have volleyball, baseball, softball, etc going to big schools and not being able to compete. The nationally ranked comment is funny though. Marion loacal and Kirtland destroy teams with super low CB. Are they nationally ranked?

Return to “Football”