Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: WK10 Gold Ball Special West vs Wheelersburg

Post by wobycat »

Clear skies for a terrific night of football. Looking forward to seeing west turf. That mound they had out there was something of a beauty when they had grass. Special teams and depth is what I’m leaning on for burg to seal a victory.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:07 pm Clear skies for a terrific night of football. Looking forward to seeing west turf. That mound they had out there was something of a beauty when they had grass. Special teams and depth is what I’m leaning on for burg to seal a victory.
Seems like every year bad weather is as certain as death and taxes come week 10. I’m not the biggest fan of the orange endzones and the new PW logo, but I’m not complaining either. Personally I think black endzones, with the traditional Wisconsin W would have looked the best. But the infamous mound is gone. The faded orange bleachers that looked pink are gone, SOC banners on the press box are renovated, and they also planted a section of maple trees in the West endzone in honor of each SOC championship. Little details make for a nice environment to watch two old rivals play for a gold ball. Your keys to victory are my exact worries for a loss.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

SiderBlood wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:52 pm
packers80 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:11 am

Definitely the most passing I’ve ever seen a West team do. Very balanced, with a physical running game, but the best QB I’ve ever seen throw the ball at the school.
Better than "the portsmouth west gunslinger"? ....
You will have to freshen my memory on the “Portsmouth west gunslinger”. I don’t think I’m familiar with that nickname lol
Didn't west have a QB late 80's/early 90's that went on to Marshall for a bit? I'm not certain on a name but he was referred to as the gunslinger at times.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

packers80 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:05 am
You will have to freshen my memory on the “Portsmouth west gunslinger”. I don’t think I’m familiar with that nickname lol
Didn't west have a QB late 80's/early 90's that went on to Marshall for a bit? I'm not certain on a name but he was referred to as the gunslinger at times.
That was a little before my time, but I have heard Bryan Howell was very good. He was QB for the undefeated 90’ team. They beat Ironton in the regular season that year and got them again in the playoffs and couldn’t pull it off that time. I am not sure about going to Marshall, someone else would have to help me out on that.

Mitchell Irwin is the best that I have personally seen. I’ve heard many people say his grandpa Steve Mignery was the best their was before that and that was in the sixties. Not a great big sample size, most QBs at West rarely threw it more than 5 times a game
Last edited by SiderBlood on Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Yes. Don’t recall his first name but last name was Howell.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:27 am

Was it Wayne Howell?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TomUnessa wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am

Was it Wayne Howell?

It was Brian Howell!! One of the best QB's at West. Good at throwing and running the ball.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:36 am

Was it Wayne Howell?

It was Brian Howell!! One of the best QB's at West. Good at throwing and running the ball.
That's it. Dunno where the gunslinger term came from but he was a good player. Thought he had a cup of coffee at Marshall. Could be wrong tho

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SiderSam
Waterboy

Post by SiderSam »

Was it Wayne Howell?

I’ve heard that Bumper Mershon was better than him. I’m to young to actually know but have heard it from quite a few people who played with them.

Cal preps has this game 34-14 Burg. Although that’s possible, I still see a game similar to last year week 11. I would love to see us start out fast and make solid adjustments on the fly! Doing the same thing from week 1-9 against them will get us beat.

🟠⬛️WESTSIDE🟠⬛️
Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Burg big , possibly running clock

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SiderSam wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:07 pm

Was it Wayne Howell?

I’ve heard that Bumper Mershon was better than him. I’m to young to actually know but have heard it from quite a few people who played with them.

Cal preps has this game 34-14 Burg. Although that’s possible, I still see a game similar to last year week 11. I would love to see us start out fast and make solid adjustments on the fly! Doing the same thing from week 1-9 against them will get us beat.
28-14 sounds more right but definitely no running clock

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Pinwheel wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:02 pm Burg big , possibly running clock
I would be shocked if Burg is 5 touchdowns better. If I were a betting man I would be all over this

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

SiderSam wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:07 pm

Was it Wayne Howell?

I agree. We need a fast start to get some confidence flowing and be able to adjust better than we have. I know they will make adjustments, it is vital that we follow. And if we get a lead, cannot come off the pedal.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Burg has been dialed in on the road this year. Likewise, they knew all season that the West game would likely be for SOC II championship, so they will come out ready to play from the start. West will hit some passes with Tipton and Bishop, and Sissel will get his yards. But in the end, Burg's running game proves too much for West. I'll say Burg wins 31-20.*

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

You had JD Literall of the 77 Hogs who beat Burg at Burg. I believe JR Mosley was there in the Mid 80s when West beat the Burg. Also, the Williams kid who was QB for the 2002 team that went to state. West has had some good QBs.

Burg94
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg94 »

New turf does not = good field. Looks better but with the track around the field, it is still rough. Need binoculars on the front row from both sidelines. Hope the game is good and we finally have good weather for week 10. Season has gone by fast. Both teams are positioned decent for the playoffs. Good luck to both teams week #11.

Yh8awinner
Freshman Team

Post by Yh8awinner »

Burg94 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:38 pm New turf does not = good field. Looks better but with the track around the field, it is still rough. Need binoculars on the front row from both sidelines. Hope the game is good and we finally have good weather for week 10. Season has gone by fast. Both teams are positioned decent for the playoffs. Good luck to both teams week #11.
This ^^^^^^

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I agree tracks around fields stink but it makes sense why schools do that.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Tracks around football fields are terrible I get why a school would do it but West has all that area to build a track elsewhere smdh!!

Burg grad 85
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

The track sucks. When everything was getting built down there, our administration could care less about sports. And I’m convinced she didn’t like football the most. It was either never discussed, or most likely a budgeting issue that she would not have pressed. It’s an inconvenience, but it is still a very nice and scenic facility.

Return to “Football”