Expanded Football playoffs

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Expanded Football playoffs

Post by Swampfox13 »

Did the higher ups trade player safety for additional money. Do you believe this will cause injuries that shouldn't happen. I don't know the answer just looking for help with this. By adding 8 more teams which is 4 more gates at each division brings in a lot of extra money.
Is it true an 0-10 team made the playoffs?

Jokerswild
Riding the Bench

Re: Expanded Football playoffs

Post by Jokerswild »

Don’t recall anyone saying it caused more injuries last year but may be wrong.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

They need to get back to 8 teams, a lot of blow outs the first game and the possibility of getting someone injured is greatly increased.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

It's a JOKE

But hey, it is the OH$AA All about the Mighty $$$$$

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:41 pm It's a JOKE

You’re absolutely right $$$

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:41 pm It's a JOKE

Yes and no one working for the OHSAA will suffer any beat downs or injuries as a result of the expansion so to them it’s all good.

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

16 game season for those making it to the finals. College don’t play that many.
The safety of teenage student athletes was not in their thinking when they made this brilliant decision.
If they are that money hungry fine, just shorten the regular season to 8 games and everybody makes the playoffs.
Those who lose in round 1 play each other for their 10th game. That would be some interesting matchups

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

smurray wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 pm 16 game season for those making it to the finals. College don’t play that many.
The safety of teenage student athletes was not in their thinking when they made this brilliant decision.
If they are that money hungry fine, just shorten the regular season to 8 games and everybody makes the playoffs.
Those who lose in round 1 play each other for their 10th game. That would be some interesting matchups
The only thing I see here is nobody minds injuries when schools 2x and 3x the roster of some schools on their schedule. Kids playing both ways and beat all to hell before the playoffs even start for them. Some of these southern Ohio conferences need to realign, so more schools have some competitive balance. I don’t disagree that some teams might be playing too many games. But half of them are out after 11 weeks.
But I come back to my argument. It’s not a big deal to some of these bigger schools that have 2x the enrollment of other schools in their conference. And that is more of a problem with injuries than adding one game to the end of the season.
Last edited by pmow3 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

No 0-10 team made the playoffs. But I think a 1-9 team made it but forgot what division.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pmow3 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:52 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 pm 16 game season for those making it to the finals. College don’t play that many.
The only thing I see here is nobody minds injuries when schools 2x and 3x the roster of some schools on their schedule. Kids playing both ways and beat all to hell before the playoffs even start for them. Some of these southern Ohio conferences need to realign, so more schools have some competitive balance. I don’t disagree that some teams might be playing too many games. But half of them are out after 11 weeks.
But I come back to my argument. It’s not a big deal to some of these bigger schools that have 2x the enrollment of other schools in their conference. And that is more of a problem than adding one game to the end of the season.
I was just saying it’s all about the money. They expanded the playoffs to rake in more dough, extending the season another week instead of shortening the regular season.
Rake in more money and add more wear and tear to teenage kids…. And yes I agree, some schools have way more kids playing and it’s not as big of a problem for them.
Even schools with 40 on the roster are playing many both ways.
We use to start the season first week in September and only had 4 teams per region making the playoffs.
Now we start 2 weeks earlier and 6 weeks of playoffs going into December - INSANE….

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I get what you’re saying. But you’re adding only 1 game to 8 of them.
Only 1 more to 4 and so on.
For every school complaining about the extra game, there are probably 2 more that are glad for the opportunity and experience .
And even more coaches glad to get a chance to have more practice time.

Just my opinion.

NewApproved
Riding the Bench

Post by NewApproved »

It is watered down enough. Maybe not expanding but contracting would make things better. I mean come on man. Losing programs making the playoffs? Can you say participation awards!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

16 is too many, 8 would be fine. But complaining about losing record teams making the playoffs doesn't solve anything. It is what it is, 16 teams make it, who cares what their record is really. no one complains when teams with 0 wins or losing records are matched up against the top seeds in basketball or baseball. Talk about participation trophies. But until OHSAA drops it back down to 8, just live with it. Everyone always wants to talk about only having one senior year and all that stuff, then people whine about teams making the playoffs with a losing record. Can't make everyone happy. Would the answer be to get rid of conferences in football and only play teams in your division? Then what? Would that make people happy? Then maybe teams with winning records would be the only ones you make the "playoffs"

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

$$$$$$$ your right go back to 8.

DJT47
Riding the Bench

Post by DJT47 »

Valley folks love the 16 team playoff, along with all the other 3-7 teams that made it

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Not true. Am i glad the kids get to play another game? Sure, i guess. But Valley folks know the only reason they are in the playoff is because they let 16 teams in. Valley has been on the other end and barely missed the playoffs with winning records. I guess all teams with losing records should forfeit their "playoff" game, that would really show them huh? Until the OHSAA makes enough money and goes back to 8 teams, this will be a discussion every year. Every year there will be teams with losing records making the playoffs, just what it is. Can't do anything about it. Teams can start scheduling down i guess and try hard not to make the playoffs when they aren't good?

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Doesn’t matter what they do, there would be people complain. I’m glad for some to have an extra week of practice and the experience of a playoff game. Records are only one way to assess a football team and how good they are.
In Valley’s case, I think they’d be favored against 7 of the 14 teams ahead of them in the rankings.
But you could go to 4, 8,16, or all of them, and people are gonna complain about the set up.

My guess is there will be a few lower seed teams win this weekend. It might not be any of them from around here. But I promise you there will be some. And I bet there will be some that win 2 or 3 games or more. Football has a far shorter season than basketball. I like to see these teams get an opportunity to play one more game.
Regardless of score.
If everyone is worried about injury or teams getting blown out so bad, then I wonder why you have so many mismatches on your regular season schedules?
Every team has a few. But that seems to be ok somehow.
Last edited by pmow3 on Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Agreed.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Every team makes playoffs in other sports.

Worried about travel, getting blown out or injury? Don't play. Teams don't have to participate if they don't want to.

Why do you care if they are just trying to make money? Haven't seen a business, profit or non-profit, that doesn't try to make money.

It used to mean something. Yeah, so did it when only 4 teams made it. Please tell me what business/activity/sport doesn't change over time.

It's more football, just enjoy it.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Well said Bobcat…!

This is a capitalist country. What the hell is wrong with making a few bucks?

Return to “Football”