Expanded Football playoffs

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Expanded Football playoffs

Post by art_vandelay »

It an extra week of high school football I get to watch, so I'm not complaining. Only tweak I'd consider is dropping down to 12 teams/region with the top 4 seeds getting a bye week in first round.*

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

DJT47 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:01 am Valley folks love the 16 team playoff, along with all the other 3-7 teams that made it
This is the most thought provocative and articulate message Ive read on this site. Kudos!!

RME

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

I wasn't stating one way or another, just interested in thoughts. Great range of ideas and different perspectives. Thank goodness we still live in a place where we can give our thoughts on sports.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm for the expanded playoffs for the reason that there are a lot of seniors who will get to play at least one more game. The great majority of these seniors will never play another game after their playoff appearance. To them playing one more week is a big deal.

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

It’s all about the money. 8 teams was questionable but 16 is just a joke. I wouldn’t be against going back to 4 per region and cutting out a lot of blowouts. 8 isn’t bad in some more competitive regions though

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I see a lot of teams traveling to the other end of the state for a game nobody wants to see.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

smurray wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 pm 16 game season for those making it to the finals. College don’t play that many.
The safety of teenage student athletes was not in their thinking when they made this brilliant decision.
If they are that money hungry fine, just shorten the regular season to 8 games and everybody makes the playoffs.
Those who lose in round 1 play each other for their 10th game. That would be some interesting matchups
Been saying that for 6-7 years. Makes too much sense. Would have to have more regions to cut down on some ridiculous travel.

Zone6_11Warriors
Waterboy

Post by Zone6_11Warriors »

Top 12 teams, 1-4 gets a bye. in the bigger divisions i can see doing 1-6 but for smaller division no reason to have 16 teams. 2-8 team playing 10-0 team.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

E High wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:11 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 pm 16 game season for those making it to the finals. College don’t play that many.
The safety of teenage student athletes was not in their thinking when they made this brilliant decision.
If they are that money hungry fine, just shorten the regular season to 8 games and everybody makes the playoffs.
Those who lose in round 1 play each other for their 10th game. That would be some interesting matchups
Been saying that for 6-7 years. Makes too much sense. Would have to have more regions to cut down on some ridiculous travel.
It's just crazy, there was nothing wrong with 8. Even then the discrepancy between 1 & 8 in many cases was big. You'll always have some upsets but by and large 8 per region is plenty.

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

Swampfox13 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:29 pm Did the higher ups trade player safety for additional money. Do you believe this will cause injuries that shouldn't happen. I don't know the answer just looking for help with this. By adding 8 more teams which is 4 more gates at each division brings in a lot of extra money.
Is it true an 0-10 team made the playoffs?
Ohssa be like
Money>kids safety

Down in the valley
Waterboy

Post by Down in the valley »

The original plan was to go to 12 teams, starting in 2021, with 1-4 getting a bye, and the other 8 playing each other in the first round. Not sure how we got to 16, but another site said a number of coaches were against a bye, and that may have played into it. You have to wonder if we didn't have the everyone gets in Covid season, would we be at 12 or 16. It's a money grab either way. Online tickets only, no cash sales, no pre-sales. Schools at least made something like $1.75 per ticket for all pre-sales. Shame that has been taken away. Schools get concessions and parking $ and that's it. Not allowed to have 50/50.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

If you are going to do top 16 then you need to re-rack after every round. That way the top seed is always facing the worse seed remaining.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

12 teams would be perfect, i do not like 8 because some teams get punished for having a difficult schedule. Id rather be battle tested at 6-4 then playing a cupcake and going 9-1 just to make the playoffs.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:32 am It an extra week of high school football I get to watch, so I'm not complaining. Only tweak I'd consider is dropping down to 12 teams/region with the top 4 seeds getting a bye week in first round.*
Coaches didn’t want a bye said it hurt more than help.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Exactly with 16 teams it gives coaches the ability to schedule tougher.

Return to “Football”