Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

RBH23
S

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC.

Post by RBH23 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:10 pm I'll word this as honestly as I can and I'm sure it'll ruffle a few feathers. That's ok. Honesty is never a bad thing.

I root for Ironton. I think it's great they heavily promote their kids. I think it's great they put kids in D1 uniforms. I hope they win the State Championship primarily to represent out area.

With that said, it's not a surprise that local schools want Ironton out. Many of the schools best players are transferring to Ironton, only to turn around and beat the crap out of their original school. Now, I know many Ironton fans will say "well kids want to play for the best!" I get that. But if you think Pendleton and staff aren't at least bending a few rules then I don't know what to tell you. Case in point -- Perkins was a sophomore at Valley and you heard some rumblings throughout the year that he was going to Ironton the next year. Pendleton is at the D4 district final basketball game between Valley and New Boston and waits in the gym to talk to Perkins before he left. You think he just really wanted to watch a D4 basketball district championship and just so happened to want to tell Perkins good game? Perkins, interestingly enough, enrolls as soon as school is out.

Now, imagine these scenarios for someone in your actual conference -- doing it right underneath your nose. Would you like it? It goes above and beyond promoting kids ------ there's also a comradory amongst the coaching community to respect one another and not cross certain boundaries. There seems to be no boundaries on who Ironton coaches will pursue (even if it simply means talking to a parent of a student in passing somewhere). BREAKING rules? That's up for debate. BENDING or at least tip-toeing the line of certain rules? I don't know how anyone could logically deny that's been occurring.

If you make enough people mad --- eventually they're going to try and retaliate back. And that's exactly what you're seeing from the OVC schools/coaches/administrators.
Very well said!

This even happens in Cincy between the public D1 schools and the GCL South schools. Just take one look at Moeller’s football schedule. They can’t get a local public D1 school to play them. Coaches in the Greater Miami Conference have come out publicly about it.

To your point, enough feathers get ruffled…

That said, if this is true, I hope Portsmouth keeps playing Ironton. Awesome tradition and rivalry. I don’t see anything changing with Burg and Jackson; playing Ironton is a great test and brings in good money.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

What's going to be bad is what happens if Pendleton leaves and no more players coming in? I still believe he is doing all of this to promote himself for a college position. Bring kids in, win some state title (which hasn't happened) and get his name out there and some college comes knocking.

Ironton would have a huge mess on their hands then trying to schedule teams they could compete with because everyone knows it, since he has been there, without all the players he has brought in they are mediocre at best. Lot of talk about Ironton being loaded with the upcoming players but would it be enough talent to compete with out of the area teams!!!!

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Ironton can just take a page out of Steubenvilles book

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
JohnDenver
Riding the Bench

Post by JohnDenver »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:18 pm What's going to be bad is what happens if Pendleton leaves and no more players coming in? I still believe he is doing all of this to promote himself for a college position. Bring kids in, win some state title (which hasn't happened) and get his name out there and some college comes knocking.

Ironton would have a huge mess on their hands then trying to schedule teams they could compete with because everyone knows it, since he has been there, without all the players he has brought in they are mediocre at best. Lot of talk about Ironton being loaded with the upcoming players but would it be enough talent to compete with out of the area teams!!!!
If he wanted a position at the next level he has enough contacts to make that happen. The next level is all about networking.

If Ironton leaves, which I’m still skeptical about, will Gallipolis be the next school that will be ask to leave? I think 9 out of 10 years they win the league or at least they should without Ironton.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:18 pm What's going to be bad is what happens if Pendleton leaves and no more players coming in? I still believe he is doing all of this to promote himself for a college position. Bring kids in, win some state title (which hasn't happened) and get his name out there and some college comes knocking.

Problem is, colleges also see what's going on,they don't like "bending rules" more so then high school

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

JohnDenver wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:50 pm If he wanted a position at the next level he has enough contacts to make that happen. The next level is all about networking.

If Ironton leaves, which I’m still skeptical about, will Gallipolis be the next school that will be ask to leave? I think 9 out of 10 years they win the league or at least they should without Ironton.

Why? His resume in the eyes of College Coaches has probably gotten worse than if he would’ve just started out of college as a GA. Face it his teams haven’t played well on the big stage and have probably underachieved. The last 3 years he has had the most talented team in D5 and has underachieved all three years including getting embarrassed against Kirtland and losing as a huge favorite to Wheelersburg. To coach major D1 football it takes more than recruiting talent to the most profile football school in in a small part of Ohio

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

We shall see how his coaching prowess measures up against similar or better talented teams, for 10 weeks.

Some fans from Ironton brag about playing anyone anywhere. Well, if true about the OVC showing the tigers the door, take your show on the road and put your money where your mouth resides.

The tigers cut n ran from the seoal a few years ago when they couldnt compete. I know, i know it was the gas prices. But still you left a league high and dry. Rme. Well, the chickens have come home to roost. You let an outsider ruin a good thing. Reap what you sow.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Just confirmed this has not happened. They have not met to vote on anything yet. It takes 6 Votes for this to go through if it comes up for vote.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
REDMEN95
JV Team

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC (RUMOR)

Post by REDMEN95 »

This would be a HUGE mistake if the OVC goes through with this!

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Come to the FAC

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Ironmen34 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:50 am Come to the FAC
Nah the FAC is good! It would not happen and I would guarantee the FAC would then implode just like the SCOL did when you guys were added. No one would want those bus rides. FAC is solid for now but would take right schools if they applied. You would not see anyone making a pitch for Ironton in the FAC except for Jackson.

Hope they are not getting voted out that would be awful for the kids and community. Seeing how rough it was for Logan with no league .

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

It would be bad for all Ironton sports except football.
As for Ironton’s coach that is why they made him AD to.
To keep him happy give him a reason to stay coaching at Ironton and allow him the flexibility to schedule who he wants.
He isn’t looking to go know where else.
He wants to built Ironton to be the best in the SE Ohio football and he is on the right track to do so.
The OVC kicks them out then look to see more kids wanting to transfer in.
Will getting out of the OVC hurt Ironton football no.
Will it hurt the other sports yes.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I don't care too much either way.

Run baby run
Freshman Team

Post by Run baby run »

As of right now this sounds like a rumor. I hate when stuff like this gets posted without anything to back it up.
If it's true, they will figure it out. They will fill their schedules and all sports will be okay.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

I Can’t imagine IHS being as good next season even with any potential transfers. Losing Carpenter, Carter, Keyes, Felder, Perkins, Wilson, Barnes and others are huge loses. I think the OVC will be more competitive next year.
I’m sure some will say I’m being naive that IHS will simply reload with transfers and Pendleton will simply “recruit” more talent but he would have to be Nick Saban to replace the talent he’s losing. I think expelling IHS at this point is a little premature.
If IHS stays healthy here on out and cut out costly penalties they have a great shot playing into December.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Run baby run wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:42 am As of right now this sounds like a rumor. I hate when stuff like this gets posted without anything to back it up.
If it's true, they will figure it out. They will fill their schedules and all sports will be okay.
Ah this one isn't a big deal because at least it was posted by an Ironton fan.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

So only kids that transfer after 9th grade are transfers now lol?

There are multiple kids on the roster that went to other middle schools. Its very common to transfer before 9th grade and thats what they did. I can think of 2 SP kids and 3 RH off the top of my head. Im sure there are CG kids too. Even if you have 1 player that starts from each school thats huge.

Ironton has starters from RH, SP, Ashland, Valley, etc etc. Ironton literally has 4-5 starters on each side of the ball that are not from Ironton. They are Division 2 in basketball because of transfers.

This topic is false btw. There was no meeting or vote.
Last edited by goUK on Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:23 pm Ironton can just take a page out of Steubenvilles book
Schedule all home games?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:08 am I Can’t imagine IHS being as good next season even with any potential transfers. Losing Carpenter, Carter, Keyes, Felder, Perkins, Wilson, Barnes and others are huge loses. I think the OVC will be more competitive next year.
I’m sure some will say I’m being naive that IHS will simply reload with transfers and Pendleton will simply “recruit” more talent but he would have to be Nick Saban to replace the talent he’s losing. I think expelling IHS at this point is a little premature.
If IHS stays healthy here on out and cut out costly penalties they have a great shot playing into December.
I thought the same thing until I saw the 8th grade team. They are unreal. Jv is undefeated. Might not be as good next year but they are loaded for a few years after.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Pinwheel wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:59 pm

Problem is, colleges also see what's going on,they don't like "bending rules" more so then high school
They’ve been coming around a lot and making offers, they must not see any rules being bent, only used lol.

Yes, Irontons upcoming classes will be able to compete

Return to “Football”