What's going on at Warren?

WldKat98
Waterboy

Re: What's going on at Warren?

Post by WldKat98 »

OhioValleyPreps wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:25 pm I don’t know anything about their coach but he was pushing the big three on Twitter trying to get them some college looks. Shame two of them are moving on I was high on them this year.
Those kids will always have a lot of support where ever they go and what ever path they choose because of their talent and integrity. They have earned that on their own merit and years of hard work.

I did notice the promotions on Twitter, which is what a coach should do.. I also noticed their player highlights were deleted when they decided to go to better opportunities.. and I'm presuming if you follow them, you noticed that too. A link may have been deleted, but you can bet your bottom dollar it doesn't erase the memories on the field those kids made in those playoff years, or the cheering of the fans in the stadium.. those memories and impact last forever and they can take those with them wherever they go.

These kids have a right to choose their future direction and that in itself speaks volumes of 'what's going on at Warren'...

They should be supported in whatever endeavor they choose and for making a decision for themselves and their future. I hope each and every player is allowed to shine and be their best wherever they chose to go and whatever sport they play. And I hope the players that chose to stay are treated with the respect they deserve and are allowed to shine.

A culture that promotes the success of each individual player in EVERY aspect.. education, athletics, integrity, morals.. is a culture that should continue on and be supported.

Whether they play at Warren or elsewhere.. it doesn't change who the players are, all they have accomplished prior and will accomplish in the future.. and they deserve our full support!
Last edited by WldKat98 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by OldskoolWarrior »

WldKat98 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:21 pm
OhioValleyPreps wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:25 pm I don’t know anything about their coach but he was pushing the big three on Twitter trying to get them some college looks. Shame two of them are moving on I was high on them this year.
Those kids will always have a lot of support where ever they go and what ever path they choose because of their talent and integrity. They have earned that on their own merit and years of hard work.

I did notice the promotions on Twitter, which is what a coach should do.. I also noticed their player highlights were deleted when they decided to go to better opportunities.. and I'm presuming if you follow them, you noticed that too. A link may have been deleted, but you can bet your bottom dollar it doesn't erase the memories on the field those kids made in those playoff years, or the cheering of the fans in the stadium.. those memories and impact last forever and they can take those with them wherever they go.

These kids have a right to choose their future direction and that in itself speaks volumes of 'what's going on at Warren'...

They should be supported in whatever endeavor they choose and for making a decision for themselves and their future. I hope each and every player is allowed to shine and be their best wherever they chose to go and whatever sport they play. And I hope the players that chose to stay are treated with the respect they deserve and are allowed to shine.

A culture that promotes the success of each individual player in EVERY aspect.. education, athletics, integrity, morals.. is a culture that should continue on and be supported.

Whether they play at Warren or elsewhere.. it doesn't change who the players are, all they have accomplished prior and will accomplish in the future.. and they deserve our full support!
The kids who left would still be there if they were treated with some respect and were allowed to shine. They didn’t leave because they were. SMH

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

No dog in the fight...have no idea what's goin on at Warren... but choices made have consequences.. an kids that leave a program don't "deserve" everyone's full support.. they don't deserve disrespect but this situation still (and will always) rub some people the wrong way.. and you can't really believe that the coach should have kept their highlights up and continued to push these kids name publicly..? Just my thoughts..

WldKat98
Waterboy

Post by WldKat98 »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:12 am

The kids who left would still be there if they were treated with some respect and were allowed to shine. They didn’t leave because they were. SMH
Agree 100% and that's what I was trying to say.. they left for a reason... The poster was saying they couldn't support them for leaving a bad situation/environment. A few posts on twitter doesn't make up for the way they were treated. For a senior year giving up everything wasn't an easy decision, so it must have been pretty bad to leave. I support anyone who makes a decision to leave a bad environment. They had an opportunity to choose a healthier environment, better opportunities for their future, and for a better coach. I support that choice.
Last edited by WldKat98 on Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Post by SoccerDad »

Rza1 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:47 am No dog in the fight...have no idea what's goin on at Warren... but choices made have consequences.. an kids that leave a program don't "deserve" everyone's full support.. they don't deserve disrespect but this situation still (and will always) rub some people the wrong way.. and you can't really believe that the coach should have kept their highlights up and continued to push these kids name publicly..? Just my thoughts..
Since Warren's football coach makes most of his income from his role as the school's assistant athletic director, he should be expected to respect and support the student athletes that aren't playing football as well as the ones on the football team.

A kid that decides to leave football to focus on another sport or academics should still get all the support possible from their athletic directors.

-

Losing this handful of players isn't unheard of though. I believe the Warren basketball program only had two upper classmen last season. A lot of kids at a school the size of Warren play multiple sports, and sometimes the work required no longer aligns with the fun experienced on your secondary sport. Or you see your secondary sport demanding time that could be dedicated to your first priority. There are also a lot of social considerations for teenagers ("if Timmy isn't playing this year, I don't think I want to either").

I'd love to see the athletic departments at smaller schools create plans/tracks for multi-sport athletes (like they do academically) that helps them and their coaches understand their offseason priorities and expectations. Tammy who plays soccer, softball and basketball may have a clear preference on which sport is more important to her, and her coaches need to respect that and work around it... or she's gonna quit one or two of them.

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

I believe a student should play as many seasons as possible. They will never get this opportunity again. Lafter school life gets there quick enough, enjoy every second of it. Sports are life learning experiences. Coaches are like future bosses. I have had my share of both good and bad. Working thru coaches that you have different of opinions with helps build as a person. Teammates are like future fellow workers. Everybody's personalities are different and learning to work through it will only build your confidence in the future. I believe we are a sum of our decisions both good and bad and makes us stronger.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

SoccerDad wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:14 pm
Rza1 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:47 am No dog in the fight...have no idea what's goin on at Warren... but choices made have consequences.. an kids that leave a program don't "deserve" everyone's full support.. they don't deserve disrespect but this situation still (and will always) rub some people the wrong way.. and you can't really believe that the coach should have kept their highlights up and continued to push these kids name publicly..? Just my thoughts..
Since Warren's football coach makes most of his income from his role as the school's assistant athletic director, he should be expected to respect and support the student athletes that aren't playing football as well as the ones on the football team.

A kid that decides to leave football to focus on another sport or academics should still get all the support possible from their athletic directors.

-

Losing this handful of players isn't unheard of though. I believe the Warren basketball program only had two upper classmen last season. A lot of kids at a school the size of Warren play multiple sports, and sometimes the work required no longer aligns with the fun experienced on your secondary sport. Or you see your secondary sport demanding time that could be dedicated to your first priority. There are also a lot of social considerations for teenagers ("if Timmy isn't playing this year, I don't think I want to either").

I'd love to see the athletic departments at smaller schools create plans/tracks for multi-sport athletes (like they do academically) that helps them and their coaches understand their offseason priorities and expectations. Tammy who plays soccer, softball and basketball may have a clear preference on which sport is more important to her, and her coaches need to respect that and work around it... or she's gonna quit one or two of them.
If the kids stop playing a sport to focus on another...but stay at the school, then yes, the community support should remain...although some may be salty... I was under the impression that the kids transferred..

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Rza1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:49 am
SoccerDad wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:14 pm

-

If the kids stop playing a sport to focus on another...but stay at the school, then yes, the community support should remain...although some may be salty... I was under the impression that the kids transferred..
Trust me.. There’s ZERO support from the coach to the kids who left the program. It’s like, how dare you leave my football team to go play a sport you’ll probably get college offers from. The guy doesn’t even acknowledge those kids are still STUDENT-athletes now. And people wonder why the kids left in the first place?

MOVSPORTS
Waterboy

Post by MOVSPORTS »

What’s going on at Warren?
A few kids not playing altogether.
1 for sure specifically transferring to play elsewhere.
Turnover on the coaching staff.
It’s interesting bc in all my years of watching football in the area even when the teams weren’t great at Warren they traditionally didn’t have their best athletes quit or transfer.
It leaves me with the question, are the kids different or is there a bigger issue on hand?

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

MOVSPORTS wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:12 am What’s going on at Warren?
It’s interesting bc in all my years of watching football in the area even when the teams weren’t great at Warren they traditionally didn’t have their best athletes quit or transfer.
It leaves me with the question, are the kids different or is there a bigger issue on hand?
Until recently, the best athletes didn’t play period so it was never an issue. To be honest, I’m not overly concerned. Depth will be an issue, but the kids who are playing are all coachable, tough, team-first players. Any new coach is going to have a culture clash with people in the community they’re coming into. It happens, people move on, and life goes on.

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Post by SoccerDad »

beg003 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:32 am Until recently, the best athletes didn’t play period so it was never an issue. [...]
This is a good point. Warren has a history over the recent 20 years of a lot of good athletes skipping out on football or transferring to play across the river. I think they were headed in a positive direction over the last three or four years, but not enough that it makes sense to panic about this current situation.

The incoming freshman class is looking low in numbers for football though, and the jr high program had a lot of 7th graders quit last year. That's my larger concern. If you fumble these next two seasons, you could have a really dark period. Those two classes are full of good athletes, and could really boost the program-- but not if they aren't interested in playing.

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

There’s an issue at hand and it’s definitely not the kids. All of them (except 1) are still playing sports for Warren… Just not football. Not too hard to figure out the issue.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:23 pm
There’s an issue at hand and it’s definitely not the kids. All of them (except 1) are still playing sports for Warren… Just not football. Not too hard to figure out the issue.
My only question would be if it’s so bad, then why haven’t people gone en masse to the board about it? Some here and there have, but nothing has happened, and nothing likely will happen. Plenty of people are perfectly fine with the head coach - most importantly the kids who are actually going to be playing this fall. If the AD and superintendent aren’t on board with it, it isn’t happening. Hypothetically, if this were to happen, what is your proposed solution, since you’re constantly talking about the “problem”?

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

beg003 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:04 pm
My only question would be if it’s so bad, then why haven’t people gone en masse to the board about it? Some here and there have, but nothing has happened, and nothing likely will happen. Plenty of people are perfectly fine with the head coach - most importantly the kids who are actually going to be playing this fall. If the AD and superintendent aren’t on board with it, it isn’t happening. Hypothetically, if this were to happen, what is your proposed solution, since you’re constantly talking about the “problem”?
If you, the AD and Super are all in support of letting good STUDENT- athletes leave a program then you are all part of the “problem”. Maybe look in the mirror and ask yourself if Warren is really doing the right thing to these STUDENT -athletes or not? In my opinion, they are not. The solution in my opinion, would be Gandee as head coach. Should’ve been his job to start with. But that’s just my opinion as well.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:30 pm

If you, the AD and Super are all in support of letting good STUDENT- athletes leave a program then you are all part of the “problem”. Maybe look in the mirror and ask yourself if Warren is really doing the right thing to these STUDENT -athletes or not? In my opinion, they are not. The solution in my opinion, would be Gandee as head coach. Should’ve been his job to start with. But that’s just my opinion as well.
I guess I’m confused as to what “letting them leave” means? No sport begs kids to play. If that’s what these kids are after, then it isn’t going to happen. To play or not play is their prerogative. No one forced them to go. They didn’t like the coach and that’s okay. To act like the whole system is broken because 3 or 4 kids decided it wasn’t for them is a bit extreme. But you’re entitled to your opinion, no question. We can disagree and that’s fine.

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

beg003 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:53 pm
I guess I’m confused as to what “letting them leave” means? No sport begs kids to play. If that’s what these kids are after, then it isn’t going to happen. To play or not play is their prerogative. No one forced them to go. They didn’t like the coach and that’s okay. To act like the whole system is broken because 3 or 4 kids decided it wasn’t for them is a bit extreme. But you’re entitled to your opinion, no question. We can disagree and that’s fine.
By saying no one forced them to go is the whole problem. Ask any one of the kids who left if they were or weren’t forced out by something and I’m sure they will all have the same or similar reason. Seniors just don’t quit a sport after playing it for 10+ years, or transfer to other schools to play because they weren’t forced out by something. The last time I checked, there are close to 10-12 kids not playing this year who were on the original summer roster last year. Not just 3-4. It’s a program problem for sure. Just my opinion.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:24 pm
beg003 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:53 pm

By saying no one forced them to go is the whole problem. Ask any one of the kids who left if they were or weren’t forced out by something and I’m sure they will all have the same or similar reason. Seniors just don’t quit a sport after playing it for 10+ years, or transfer to other schools to play because they weren’t forced out by something. The last time I checked, there are close to 10-12 kids not playing this year who were on the original summer roster last year. Not just 3-4. It’s a program problem for sure. Just my opinion.
And I could ask the kids who are still there why they stayed and I’d get similar answers across the board, just like the kids who left would give similar answers. Believe it or not, the vast majority of the kids like the head coach. I know most of the assistants - if it was that bad, do you really think all of them would have stood by and watched it happen? I would confidently answer no.

MOVSPORTS
Waterboy

Post by MOVSPORTS »

MOV Reporter (Rumors/Questions)
Jimmy Bell joining the Warren staff?
Proctor DC/ST Coordinator @ Belpre?
With Taylor gone I assume Gandee will take over the OC position?

Will Peyton’s Son start for Warren this year?

WldKat98
Waterboy

Post by WldKat98 »

It's interesting to note that a recent hire varsity football coach resigned this past week at Warren.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:06 am
WldKat98 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:53 am It's interesting to note that a recent hire varsity football coach resigned this past week at Warren.
He saw the writing on the wall.
Dang

Return to “Football”