Live Stats By School. Can We Get Everyone On Board?

BeatOfTheSEOhio
Waterboy

Live Stats By School. Can We Get Everyone On Board?

Post by BeatOfTheSEOhio »

How many schools in the area are using some form of digital stat software (DigitalScout, DakStats, etc.) to keep track of play-by-play for their teams? From my brief research, four of the six FAC schools used DigitalScout during last year's football slate. The number appears to be less favorable in the MSL and SVC. I thought instead of individually checking each league/conference, it would be faster to throw the question out here and see what the responses are overall.

I ask because this is my "Get With the Times" rant:

Can we get every program to utilize a volunteer (or three) to keep track of stats digitally in real time throughout the season? Even those who are in remote locations, have any of those schools been able to get wired/wireless network capability to their press boxes?
Would it be nice to use one platform uniformly? Definitely. But I'll take getting everyone up to 2023. If anything, it would help promote the players a little easier through the season.

knowledge
All Conference

Re: Live Stats By School. Can We Get Everyone On Board?

Post by knowledge »

It wouldn't be a bad thing if the OHSAA took a page from the KHSAA playbook with their app & with mandatory stat updating in my opinion at least.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BeatOfTheSEOhio wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:35 pm How many schools in the area are using some form of digital stat software (DigitalScout, DakStats, etc.) to keep track of play-by-play for their teams? From my brief research, four of the six FAC schools used DigitalScout during last year's football slate. The number appears to be less favorable in the MSL and SVC. I thought instead of individually checking each league/conference, it would be faster to throw the question out here and see what the responses are overall.

Can we get every program to utilize a volunteer (or three) to keep track of stats digitally in real time throughout the season? Even those who are in remote locations, have any of those schools been able to get wired/wireless network capability to their press boxes?
Would it be nice to use one platform uniformly? Definitely. But I'll take getting everyone up to 2023. If anything, it would help promote the players a little easier through the season.
Every team is setup on Maxpreps but it's up the coaches to put information in, some teams will have a full listing of all stats but many won't put anything in at all. So the forum is really already there however it's not a real time during the game setup, which most teams especially in this area aren't going to be setup for. Shoot just getting coaches to input players stats the day after into maxpreps would be nice just so you can see what players are doing. You've got teams out there that have enough struggles finding someone to video tape, guys to run the chains, volunteers in the concession stands to find another person doing it in real time is a stretch. Best bet in some of those cases would be schools who offer sports media type classes or journalistic classes you offer it to kids in those classes as an extra credit or something.

BeatOfTheSEOhio
Waterboy

Post by BeatOfTheSEOhio »

greygoose wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:21 am
BeatOfTheSEOhio wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:35 pm How many schools in the area are using some form of digital stat software (DigitalScout, DakStats, etc.) to keep track of play-by-play for their teams? From my brief research, four of the six FAC schools used DigitalScout during last year's football slate. The number appears to be less favorable in the MSL and SVC. I thought instead of individually checking each league/conference, it would be faster to throw the question out here and see what the responses are overall.

Every team is setup on Maxpreps but it's up the coaches to put information in, some teams will have a full listing of all stats but many won't put anything in at all. So the forum is really already there however it's not a real time during the game setup, which most teams especially in this area aren't going to be setup for. Shoot just getting coaches to input players stats the day after into maxpreps would be nice just so you can see what players are doing. You've got teams out there that have enough struggles finding someone to video tape, guys to run the chains, volunteers in the concession stands to find another person doing it in real time is a stretch. Best bet in some of those cases would be schools who offer sports media type classes or journalistic classes you offer it to kids in those classes as an extra credit or something.
I am glad you mentioned the last part. The number of high school student-run journalism and/or multimedia outlets (though probably dwindling) would be great jumping off points. Perhaps expand it to those interested in data analytics?

If you are looking for older candidates, essentially every four-year institution in Ohio that is on, nearby, or south of I-70 (you can add Marshall for this as well) offers sport administration or sport business as a major. I get that money will be on the minds of many who want an incentive to give up at least five Friday evenings in the fall, but does the prospect of internship/practicum experience just not hold enough weight anymore? Are there conversations between school administrations and the deans of these programs to gauge interest, or vice versa? I am at least a decade out from my undergrad days, so I am asking that question out of sheer curiosity.

If funding is an issue, there are ads placed around the perimeter of football fields and on the warm up tops of basketball players. Could school administrations add an official stats sponsorship to offset the costs? Fans are interested to hear game-related announcements over the air, and that's a spot to plug in a sponsor and relay stats to those attending.

These questions sound basic, but the questions I pose are looking for solutions.

Return to “Football”