Portsmouth 2023 what to expect?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: Portsmouth 2023 what to expect?

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Did anyone check out the 7v7 scrimmage against Piketon, Greenup & ND? How did the Trojans look?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Not sure this is the official roster or not. But I’ve seen a roster online and to me it looks like there are only 4 new additions to this years Trojans. A kid who moved in and 3 freshman. Were the 8th grade numbers really that bad last year that only 3 kids moved up to HS? Assuming it’s correct (I’ve also seen a few pics from camp) it looks like only about 38 kids on the team this year. If that’s indeed the case numbers are way down. I’d say down 8/10 kids from the last few years.

Leviticus
Riding the Bench

Post by Leviticus »

Any reports of how the 7on7 went Friday? How did Portsmouth look, how did the other teams look?

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I heard Portsmouth dominated

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Post by baseballfanatic76 »

Thought portsmouth looked decent but sometimes it was ugly . Notre dame was probably the best looking offensively but that was just against the trojans. Lots of work to still be put in but maybe my observation was wrong would love other inputs. I was impressed just think theres room for improvement but thats always

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

baseballfanatic76 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:24 am Thought portsmouth looked decent but sometimes it was ugly . Notre dame was probably the best looking offensively but that was just against the trojans. Lots of work to still be put in but maybe my observation was wrong would love other inputs. I was impressed just think theres room for improvement but thats always
Who all was at WR for the Trojans?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Did anyone go to the OVC 7v7 this past weekend? Thoughts on how the Trojans looked? Upcoming scrimmage against River Valley next week I think? Anyone know what time that is?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:31 am Did anyone go to the OVC 7v7 this past weekend? Thoughts on how the Trojans looked? Upcoming scrimmage against River Valley next week I think? Anyone know what time that is?
I was told Portsmouth looked pretty good and was told south point looked really good but it’s non contact events so I wouldn’t put much into it. He said Gallia looked good, peake and rock hill did not look good. Ironton and fairland played underclassmen I guess. I totally forgot about it or would have went and checked it out.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Talked to one of the coaches and asked about the roster numbers. He feels like in the end the total will be somewhere around 40, maybe tops at 45. Even with some modest playoff success in recent past, just can't seem to get that number up to 50.

He also added that he thinks the O-line will be one of the strengths of the team, and that the defense could be very respectable, especially if they can find some competitive DB's.

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Post by baseballfanatic76 »

For the first time in several years im concerned for the offense’s ability to win or keep us in games

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

baseballfanatic76 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:01 pm For the first time in several years im concerned for the offense’s ability to win or keep us in games
I’m hoping there’s a running game there this season. I think the line will be solid, if it is then the Trojans could lean on running the ball. There’s not a ton of weapons on this team, but there may be enough to keep them in games.

Who Dey!
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

trojandave wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:45 am Talked to one of the coaches and asked about the roster numbers. He feels like in the end the total will be somewhere around 40, maybe tops at 45. Even with some modest playoff success in recent past, just can't seem to get that number up to 50.

He also added that he thinks the O-line will be one of the strengths of the team, and that the defense could be very respectable, especially if they can find some competitive DB's.
Crazy Portsmouth football struggling to even get 40 kids to come out.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:01 pm
trojandave wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:45 am Talked to one of the coaches and asked about the roster numbers. He feels like in the end the total will be somewhere around 40, maybe tops at 45. Even with some modest playoff success in recent past, just can't seem to get that number up to 50.

That’s pretty typical for almost all the area schools except for Burg, Ironton, and Waverly

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Not good news on the injury front.........JT Willliams, who was scheduled to be the starting QB, suffered a fracture of one of his fingers on his non-throwing hand. He most likely will be out several weeks because he won't be able to take snaps from center or shotgun. It looks right now like his younger brother, who is a freshman, will be the QB in the meantime.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

trojandave wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:31 am Not good news on the injury front.........JT Willliams, who was scheduled to be the starting QB, suffered a fracture of one of his fingers on his non-throwing hand. He most likely will be out several weeks because he won't be able to take snaps from center or shotgun. It looks right now like his younger brother, who is a freshman, will be the QB in the meantime.
Awful timing for this injury to happen. I’m no doctor but I’m guessing probably about a month he will miss? Maybe a bit longer. Maybe he can be back by week 3 or 4. In the meantime it’ll be interesting to see the offense ran by the younger Williams.

Who Dey!
3rd Knuckle
Waterboy

Post by 3rd Knuckle »

Football in SEO is always better when PHS is good!

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Who would be the 2nd string qb? We are not exactly deep in any positions.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

HERO wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:34 am

That’s pretty typical for almost all the area schools except for Burg, Ironton, and Waverly
Correct. Football numbers are decreasing.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

packers80 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:00 pm
HERO wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:34 am

Correct. Football numbers are decreasing.
Unfortunately this is very accurate. I never thought getting to 40 players would be an accomplishment, we are finally over that jump this year. I remember back in the day it wasnt uncommon for West to have 60 kids on the team.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

My thoughts on the scrimmage tonight against Northwest & River Valley. Only stayed for the Varsity.

-Started out slow, NW won the first set 7-0. Portsmouth run defense was quite good, pass defense needs work. NW scored on a long pass play. Second set against NW I believe was 7-0 Portsmouth. Few nice runs by Johnson & Copley as well.

-Started out slow against RV but moved the ball a bit more, ended 0-0 I believe. Next set against RV was much better, believe it was 14-0 Portsmouth. Chase Heiland seems to be the offense, Cam Williams did what he could at QB.

-Lot to work on over the next 2 weeks. Feel okay about the run defense, but pass defense needs work. QB needs more reps, running the ball didn’t come easy, especially up the middle. Toss sweeps worked at times, that’s how Heiland scored on one. Jamboree against Waverly should give a better feel for the guys we will see and what positions they’ll be in. Lot of bodies in and out tonight. Team will look different and I assume better when JT Williams returns. He played some snaps on defense but had a massive club on his hand.

Who Dey!

Return to “Football”