OHSAA Wants To Continue To Play State Football Title Games In Canton...WHY?

radiodavel
JV Team

Post by radiodavel »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2023 ... canton-why

Rolltanks
All Conference

Re: OHSAA Wants To Continue To Play State Football Title Games In Canton...WHY?

Post by Rolltanks »

Only place state games should ever be played is Paul brown tiger stadium in Massillon. Canton sucks and so does Ohio state.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I've been an advocate for a rotation, whether that's yearly or every 2 years. I see no reason why 3-4 different venues can't be picked out and rotated around hit the most populated regions in Ohio and start a rotation.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I will say after spending time in the pressbox during the finals last year, this has to IMO the way the media and officials are treated. The actual crowd size continues to dwindle to such low numbers that the place looks empty.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:28 pm I will say after spending time in the pressbox during the finals last year, this has to IMO the way the media and officials are treated. The actual crowd size continues to dwindle to such low numbers that the place looks empty.
Yeah, we're at a point now where the idea of putting it back into larger HS stadiums is the better option.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

greygoose wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:28 pm I will say after spending time in the pressbox during the finals last year, this has to IMO the way the media and officials are treated. The actual crowd size continues to dwindle to such low numbers that the place looks empty.
Yeah, we're at a point now where the idea of putting it back into larger HS stadiums is the better option.
As a fan, I have been saying that for years. In talking to the players, well a lot of them I know they, for the most part, do not care the size of the stadium. They just love playing in the finals.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I’ve not had the opportunity to watch a state championship game. But, in all fairness to everyone involved, the games should be centrally located. Track and field state finals are held in Columbus. Why not the football championships?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

It’s very simple. It what the powers that be want. It’s a great opportunity for any kid, no matter the sport, to play in a state championship. However, in this situation, at what cost? The cost of their family not coming? If you look at the larger number of crowds for state championship games since being in Canton, it’s one of two factors that keep those numbers for those games and years higher than others:
1. Location. 2. Public Schools making the state championship.
If a school is within an hour or hour and a half of Canton, they’ll bring a big crowd.
Public Schools in general, will bring a larger crowd.
The only feasible solution to this is to do it the same way they do neutral sites for Regional Games. If you have a Columbus School and Cincinnati School playing for a state championship in football, they shouldn’t be driving to Canton. Rather, they should be going to a centrally located field, such as Springfield or Dayton. That’s just me trying to see it logically.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:01 pm It’s very simple. It what the powers that be want. It’s a great opportunity for any kid, no matter the sport, to play in a state championship. However, in this situation, at what cost? The cost of their family not coming? If you look at the larger number of crowds for state championship games since being in Canton, it’s one of two factors that keep those numbers for those games and years higher than others:
1. Location. 2. Public Schools making the state championship.
If a school is within an hour or hour and a half of Canton, they’ll bring a big crowd.
Public Schools in general, will bring a larger crowd.
The only feasible solution to this is to do it the same way they do neutral sites for Regional Games. If you have a Columbus School and Cincinnati School playing for a state championship in football, they shouldn’t be driving to Canton. Rather, they should be going to a centrally located field, such as Springfield or Dayton. That’s just me trying to see it logically.

Someone in Canton has to be in the good 'ol boys club with someone at OH$AA because makes ZERO sense at all to play this game in Canton. Who cares that Ohio Stadium looks empty during the game! That was a big deal to every kid in the state to get to play at the Shoe and now you read where the stadiums in Canton and Massilon look empty now. I know in 2017 when Wheelersburg won the state, had that game been played in Columbus I guarantee you there would have been 2,000-3,000 more people because more people from the area would have made the drive to Columbus but wasn't making the 4.5 hour trek to Canton. Lot of elderly folks from Burg couldn't make the game because of the long drive. Sad that had to happen to keep someones palms greased in Canton!!!

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

I went to the 2014 Huber Heights Wayne vs St Edwards Division 1 state title game at The Shoe in 2014. I have heard about the lack of crowd size at The Shoe looking bad however if you are actually in the crowd, you do not notice that. Believe me, it's loud in the crowd. I think it's a great atmosphere. Plus with only 15 to 20 K in attendance, you are guaranteed a great seat, great parking plus an easy entrance and exit from the stadium.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I say have it at the old Columbus crew stadium.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Bagger Vance
Riding the Bench

Post by Bagger Vance »

Centrally locate it and play in the old Crew stadium

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

The Shoe or The Crew

WWE HALL OF FAME
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i'm with goose. rotate it every year or two. and not to just cincy, cleveland or dayton area schools but to the rural facilities that can accommodate seating for large crowds and parking.

AT THE RESERVATION
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I like the rotational suggestion. Rotate among the 4 quads (NW, NE, SW and SE) every couple of years. There are plenty of venues avaliable to put on the show and I bet the support for asses in seats would be greater.

Skyrocket
Riding the Bench

Post by Skyrocket »

MrPerfect wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:30 pm The Shoe or The Crew
The Ohhsaa should buy crew stadium and build a new high school football stadium with a seating capacity of 20 thousand.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

greygoose wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:27 pm I've been an advocate for a rotation, whether that's yearly or every 2 years. I see no reason why 3-4 different venues can't be picked out and rotated around hit the most populated regions in Ohio and start a rotation.

If they will not rotate the the games, then they should make it a central location.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I say it should go, Canton at HOF stadium, Columbus as the Shoe, Cincinnati at UC, and Athens at OU. Those are all very nice stadiums and yes I know it’s a pipe dream to get everyone on board and the NW region would get the short end of the stick in this scenario but plug and play Toledo or BGSU for their region and rotate them every year. I know if I were a kid I’d rather play at those D1 stadiums then play another high school. While PBTS is nice it’s still a high school stadium

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Kurgan74
JV Team

Post by Kurgan74 »

From what I understand, the Canton group along with the Hall of Fame’s bid to host
the State Championship games dwarf the proposals from the other locations.

If another city wants to host the games, they will have to dramatically step up their
proposals.

Return to “Football”