August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by Sonny Weaver »

rewatching the game, Burg was outmanned to the boundary on both of Ironton's touchdowns. The second one was unbalanced line and Burg didn't adjust whatsoever. Frustrating. But it's week 1, shouldn't happen again smh

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:48 pm rewatching the game, Burg was outmanned to the boundary on both of Ironton's touchdowns. The second one was unbalanced line and Burg didn't adjust whatsoever. Frustrating. But it's week 1, shouldn't happen again smh
The D doesn’t worry me. They learn from mistakes and adjust quickly.

Offense is where Burg is, and has been, struggling. BTWNTHE is right. Burg needs to be a run first team, but our coaches are quick to fall in love with being a pass first offense.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

JV game at the Burg

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:29 pm JV game at the Burg

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
Both teams need work. Ironton 21 points off three punt returns. Other than that, neither team flexed any muscle.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:51 pm

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
Both teams need work. Ironton 21 points off three punt returns. Other than that, neither team flexed any muscle.
Wait, we’re bragging about JV games? 🤦‍♂️

A big chunk of Burg’s varsity starters and backups are JV age. Those games mean squat with regards to what will happen two years from now when they are playing varsity.

Next we’ll be talking about what happened on the 5th grade team.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
Btw, didn’t you claim this was the best team Pendleton has ever had?

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:24 pm

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……

A big chunk of Burg’s varsity starters and backups are JV age. Those games mean squat with regards to what will happen two years from now when they are playing varsity.

Saw a post today that Ironton is replacing 9 starters on Defense and 7 on Offense. Ironton also started a handful at sophomores and even had a freshman receive ample playing time. I wouldn’t use the young excuse. Wheelersburg as a whole returned many more starters according to last years game.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 pm

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
May end up being when it’s all said and done. The game Friday night was more lopsided than the score showed. Ironton doll trolled the game and speaking to many unbiased observers said Ironton is 3-4 Tds better if playing a clean game. Hopefully we see the matchup again in the playoffs.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:29 pm

Saw a post today that Ironton is replacing 9 starters on Defense and 7 on Offense. Ironton also started a handful at sophomores and even had a freshman receive ample playing time. I wouldn’t use the young excuse. Wheelersburg as a whole returned many more starters according to last years game.
Wheelersburg lost nearly all its offensive production! QB, both RB’s, top WR, starting TE, and multiple lineman. And while Ironton is starting a senior at the most important position on the field, Burg is starting a sophomore. That’s a huge deal!

Also, keep in mind, out of 70+ kids on Burg, only 12 are seniors.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

XandOs wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:31 pm

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
May end up being when it’s all said and done. The game Friday night was more lopsided than the score showed. Ironton doll trolled the game and speaking to many unbiased observers said Ironton is 3-4 Tds better if playing a clean game. Hopefully we see the matchup again in the playoffs.
Ironton keep beating burg
Attachments
Screenshot_20230821_213628.jpg

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
Could be, but lots will need to change.

Plus, let’s not act like Burg played a clean game. Four turnovers with two interceptions in the end zone played a role.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
Right now neither team or fans need be chirpin. Too may mistakes week one. Ssssh until its corrected. 💯

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

XandOs wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:29 pm

Technically you’re only replacing 7 on defense and 5 on offense

Aris pitman started last year until he was ineligible and hart started at notre dame prior to transferring. Not really replacing starters there.

Burg replaced 7 offensive starters, 8 technically but lattimore started at Portsmouth I think.

And 7 defense

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……

Irontons won 4 outta the last 5 man. Its not an anomaly.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:37 pm

Congrats on that win. That one really hurts. LOL!!

Btw, you guys focused on JV games…. I like to talk football, but debating JV games is a step too far. I truly don’t care what happens in JV. Couldn’t tell you how Burg JV did since my playing days.

So again, congrats on the win. Sounds like IHS has an awesome JV team, or Burg JV must really suck.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:43 pm

Btw, you guys focused on JV games…. I like to talk football, but debating JV games is a step too far. I truly don’t care what happens in JV. Couldn’t tell you how Burg JV did since my playing days.

So again, congrats on the win. Sounds like IHS has an awesome JV team, or Burg JV must really suck.
I was there. Both teams struggled. Neither team looked like they were plAying well.

It was 3 punt returns for tds. Other than that, it was 14-6 and those came in the second half.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:42 pm

Irontons won 4 outta the last 5 man. Its not an anomaly.
I’ve been around long enough to see things come and go in waves.

Remember Portsmouth beating Burg in ‘93, and Portsmouth claiming “Burg may never beat us (Portsmouth) again”. That didn’t age well for Portsmouth.

Remember Minford beating Burg twice in one season. People claiming “Burg is on the decline”. That didn’t age well either.

I remember 2008-2013 when Burg only won one SOC title. All kinds of claims about “Burg’s SOC dominance is over”. Then Burg won seven of the next eight titles.

And I remember when Burg lost 11 times in 12 years to Ironton before winning the next eight games.

So right now, Ironton has the upper hand. But the tide will shift. Only a matter of time.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:46 pm
RBH23 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:43 pm

I was there. Both teams struggled. Neither team looked like they were plAying well.

It was 3 punt returns for tds. Other than that, it was 14-6 and those came in the second half.
I was being sarcastic about “or Burg JV must really suck”.

Again, don’t put much stock in those games. Key freshman and sophomores get moved to varsity which completely distorts the results.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Ironton -———- 31
Wheelersburg - 7

Go Fighting Tigers……
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Burg grad 85
RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:38 pm

Right now neither team or fans need be chirpin. Too may mistakes week one. Ssssh until its corrected. 💯
Now on this we both agree.

Ironton beat Burg 17-14 is all we know. How good either team is or will be is still unknown, especially given how sloppy both teams played.

Return to “Football”