August 25, 2023 Wheelersburg 20 - 17 Cin.McNicholas

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Re: August 25, 2023 Wheelersburg 20 - 17 Cin.McNicholas

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:27 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:59 am If Mcnich had a run/pass balance they win this game going away.

I'm gonna be honest. You are a run team 100%. Power run. Time to cut some of the cute left right nonsense & sell out and BE what you are. Power run. Stingy d. Not a speed team. Not a finesse team. You are not a spread team this season. Power run & mix in some play action to keep d honest. Cut out the bubble screens etc because you dont have that kinda speed on the outside vs the more elite teams. Embrace the identity on offense and continue making strides defensively.
Burg should have blown McNich away. Did everything to lose that game. McNich just doesn’t have the size.

Completely agree with your assessment of Burg O. It is beyond frustrating watching them run the sweep over and over and over without any success. Bubble screens, rolling QB to his left.. just throw those plays away!

Kirtland and Marion Local don’t run spread offensives. Why? Because they don’t have the speed either. They do exactly what you said Burg should do. No idea why Burg coaches don’t see that.
Maybe staff is making the mistake of trying to invent a style of play asthetically pleasing to their kids INSTEAD of a style that pays dividends and plays to their particular strengths this year. You are right tho. Burgs identity this year/offensive style should MIRROR Kirtland.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I agree in part with the bubble screens and jet sweeps…we haven’t gotten very good perimeter blocking from the other wr’s on them but when we do…it’s an 84 yd gain a la Creed’s big gainer. I wouldn’t mind seeing them called less often, at least until we’ve really hammered the blocking aspect in practice and gotten it down.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Worst offensively coached Burg team in the last 30+ years IMO
Too much talent being misused!

Defense was very nice, but really bad special teams.
Great atmosphere as always!

WWE HALL OF FAME
BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

522Pirate wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:56 pm I agree in part with the bubble screens and jet sweeps…we haven’t gotten very good perimeter blocking from the other wr’s on them but when we do…it’s an 84 yd gain a la Creed’s big gainer. I wouldn’t mind seeing them called less often, at least until we’ve really hammered the blocking aspect in practice and gotten it down.
Need to recognize WHEN its advantageous to do. Against the Irontons and Harvest Preps it isnt gonna work cause they have too many athletes so burg needs a STAPLE ( GO TO) identity to lean on. A bread and butter reliability and imo THIS YEAR - power run by committe and play action to keep the D honest

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:43 pm
522Pirate wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:56 pm I agree in part with the bubble screens and jet sweeps…we haven’t gotten very good perimeter blocking from the other wr’s on them but when we do…it’s an 84 yd gain a la Creed’s big gainer. I wouldn’t mind seeing them called less often, at least until we’ve really hammered the blocking aspect in practice and gotten it down.
Need to recognize WHEN its advantageous to do. Against the Irontons and Harvest Preps it isnt gonna work cause they have too many athletes so burg needs a STAPLE ( GO TO) identity to lean on. A bread and butter reliability and imo THIS YEAR - power run by committe and play action to keep the D honest
I like this way of thinking

WWE HALL OF FAME
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I agree completely…with the caveat that we should be focusing on getting better at perimeter blocking in practice every day. The wr’s have the speed to be effective blockers if we’re going to insist on spamming those plays but need a lot of work. Weeks 1-3 absolutely aren’t the games to try to get better at it…weeks 4 and 5 sure go ahead and get some work in on those plays…build a little confidence with them, try to get the young QB in rhythm etc.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

burgs O is hard to watch. no identity, no flow, big guys dont get any push, wideouts dont get open or loose after catch, always looking to bounce it instead of cutting it up. they just dont do anything well right now.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

fbnut wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:37 pm burgs O is hard to watch. no identity, no flow, big guys dont get any push, wideouts dont get open or loose after catch, always looking to bounce it instead of cutting it up. they just dont do anything well right now.
Except for the last drive when they loaded up and ran it down their throat. That's their identity until the soph qb gets more comfortable, imo

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

FIDO wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:41 pm
fbnut wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:37 pm burgs O is hard to watch. no identity, no flow, big guys dont get any push, wideouts dont get open or loose after catch, always looking to bounce it instead of cutting it up. they just dont do anything well right now.
Except for the last drive when they loaded up and ran it down their throat. That's their identity until the soph qb gets more comfortable, imo
changed qbs on the last drive if i remember correctly

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

They did change the qb but it was their best drive of the season from what I've seen

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

522Pirate wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:28 pm
I agree completely…with the caveat that we should be focusing on getting better at perimeter blocking in practice every day. The wr’s have the speed to be effective blockers if we’re going to insist on spamming those plays but need a lot of work. Weeks 1-3 absolutely aren’t the games to try to get better at it…weeks 4 and 5 sure go ahead and get some work in on those plays…build a little confidence with them, try to get the young QB in rhythm etc.
That Jackson game is going to require QB1 to make some of those recognitions because Jackson is vulnerable on the outside per as usual. They are never a speedy team. Or if not it'll just be power vs power all night unless Burg makes the mistake of not running it enough and going away from their strength. Gonna need some balance so its not JUST standing directly in front of jackson trading punches. If the play caller and qb1 can find some balance you guys will beat Jackson. Pressure might be greatest for the guys wearing head sets in that game. Cause you have the horses.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Burgs offesive identity = THE KITCHEN SINK. Heavy on run. All the backs and the two Qbs. Just wear teams down with it because if you execute well it will work. Again mix in a lil play action - just enough for it to keep defenses honest - and then on defense keep improving on what you are doing well early. And you will be just fine.

The Kitchen Sink.

Sidenote: throw em a lil wishbone, shades of Nebraska. The Kitchen Sink.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 am

That Jackson game is going to require QB1 to make some of those recognitions because Jackson is vulnerable on the outside per as usual. They are never a speedy team. Or if not it'll just be power vs power all night unless Burg makes the mistake of not running it enough and going away from their strength. Gonna need some balance so its not JUST standing directly in front of jackson trading punches. If the play caller and qb1 can find some balance you guys will beat Jackson. Pressure might be greatest for the guys wearing head sets in that game. Cause you have the horses.
Just looked at the stats from the Burg vs McNich game. Burg had over 400 yards of offense (180 rushing, 230 passing). McNich had less than 150 yards.

A few things I take from this:
- Burg with over 400 yards but only three scores? That was not a productive 400 yards!
- Defense was rock solid.
- Special teams almost cost them a game that should never have been close.
- Even though more yards, it’s difficult to say if Burg improved. McNich is no Ironton.

Jackson game should be interesting.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:05 am
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 am

Just looked at the stats from the Burg vs McNich game. Burg had over 400 yards of offense (180 rushing, 230 passing). McNich had less than 150 yards.

A few things I take from this:
- Burg with over 400 yards but only three scores? That was not a productive 400 yards!
- Defense was rock solid.
- Special teams almost cost them a game that should never have been close.
- Even though more yards, it’s difficult to say if Burg improved. McNich is no Ironton.

Jackson game should be interesting.
Wheelersburg isn't going to go away from the level routes or bubble/tunnel screens. Those have been a staple in the offense since Tony Lewis. Its won an ungodly amount of SOCs the last 20 years and even a State Title. In 70% of their games this year they're gonna have the better athletes and they'll win this way. Just so happens 20% of that 30% they wont have it was Weeks 1&2.

Burg put up 400 yards of offense this week. The bubble & tunnel screens are an extension of the run game. Warren had a 80(ish) yard play at the end of the game off a bubble screen -- these stats could easily be 260 rush, 150 pass; which would be more indicative of the score and how Burg was able to win. In reality this was a 21-7 (the muffed punt and bad long snap gave McNich points) game with Burg dominating the line of scrimmage and running the ball against a much smaller, yet athletic McNich team.

Defense has been lights out both weeks imo. Very impressed with that side of the ball -- especially the Secondary.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Re: WK 2: Burg vs McNichols

Post by Sonny Weaver »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:43 pm
FIDO wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:33 pm The last drive is the best offense they've shown this year.

The special teams was the most discombobulated unit I've seen on a Burg team. It nearly cost them the game.

The defense is rock solid and will be hard to score against

Burg 20-17
You are giving the special teams too much credit. They were a special level of awful that is usually seen on 3rd grade pee-wee teams!

I’ve watched and listened to Burg games for a long time and have never witnessed anything this horrific. Woodward is responsible for this unit and better get it fixed asap!

This game shouldn’t have been close!!
not sure @RBH23 knows what discombobulated means

RBH23
SE

Re: WK 2: Burg vs McNichols

Post by RBH23 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:41 am
RBH23 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:43 pm
FIDO wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:33 pm The last drive is the best offense they've shown this year.

The special teams was the most discombobulated unit I've seen on a Burg team. It nearly cost them the game.

The defense is rock solid and will be hard to score against

Burg 20-17
You are giving the special teams too much credit. They were a special level of awful that is usually seen on 3rd grade pee-wee teams!

I’ve watched and listened to Burg games for a long time and have never witnessed anything this horrific. Woodward is responsible for this unit and better get it fixed asap!

This game shouldn’t have been close!!
not sure @RBH23 knows what discombobulated means
You obviously didn’t get my comment.

I understood what FIDO was saying. My point was that they were much worse than even how he described them. “Discombobulated” was putting it mildly. They weren’t just bad by Burg standards, they were bad by any team’s standard. Junior high teams make fewer special team mistakes.

Return to “Football”