September 1, 2023 Unioto 14 - 28 Waverly

smurray
SEOPS HO

September 1, 2023 Unioto 14 - 28 Waverly

Post by smurray »

Waverly picked up their 1st win of the year last night in a "comfortable" 42-28 defeat of the Pioneers of Zane Trace in Kinnikinnick.
The Shermans won their home opener with relative ease, 29-10 over the Aces of Amanda Clearcreek.

Waverly lost a heartbreaker in week 1 at home against Miami Trace (D3) when the Tigers "failed" to convert the 2 pt conversion with .26 seconds to play that would have won it.
Unioto beat the Vinton County Vikings in McArthur by 1 on a blocked PAT, that would have tied the game.

Miami Trace fell to Wilmington (2-0) 24-21 last night while Vinton County beat Circleville (0-2) 19-8.

One could argue Waverly has played the tougher schedule through 2 weeks and most certainly improved the run blocking after being stifled on the ground in week 1.

The Tigers will have to be successful on the ground with Jase Hurd/Creed Smith combination and Mason Kelly will need to have a good game passing the ball.
Quinton Hurd had a huge game against ZT last night and will need to match that in this one.. The Tiger secondary better be ready to defend the pass and do it better than they have through week 2.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Re: Week 3 Waverly 1-1 at Unioto 2-0

Post by Rolltanks »

Be a tall task for the tanks. We have to play lights out on both sides of the ball and get some lucky bounces to be in this one. Zt is the overwhelming favorite to win the Svc and waverly destroyed them.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Rolltanks wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:09 pm Be a tall task for the tanks. We have to play lights out on both sides of the ball and get some lucky bounces to be in this one. Zt is the overwhelming favorite to win the Svc and waverly destroyed them.
Time will tell but I’d say Unioto and Piketon may be looking like the top 2 SVC teams.

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

Waverly will need to have big game from Kelly and Hurd but a bigger game by there OC he needs to get better. Last year we spread the ball to all WR and Hurd this year it’s like it’s a deep ball or nothing. I know it normally hits well but We have to get the run game going and get high percentage passes. Pollard has been none factor and he had a great year last year. We have looked good both games. Our o line needs to quit letting d ends run right by unblocked. Hoops is good coach and they will be ready. Hopefully we are too.

Tanks3232
Freshman Team

Post by Tanks3232 »

Rolltanks wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:09 pm Be a tall task for the tanks. We have to play lights out on both sides of the ball and get some lucky bounces to be in this one. Zt is the overwhelming favorite to win the Svc and waverly destroyed them.
ZT was the overwhelming favorite because they won it last year. I don’t think they’ll be top 2 this year

Tanks3232
Freshman Team

Post by Tanks3232 »

Unioto needs to get a run offense going to keep the defenses honest. Also haven’t faced a team who can pass yet so this will be a test. Waverly probably has the edge in this one.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Unioto 41
Waverly 28

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Does Unioto live stream their games?

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Tanks3232 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:24 pm
ZT was the overwhelming favorite because they won it last year. I don’t think they’ll be top 2 this year
I think they're favorite because of what they returned, they lost a lot but anytime you can line up 4-5 seniors on the OL you can overcome a lot of things. Right now the new coach is searching for an identity and I think playing them early on is for sure a benefit.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Being completely honest I'm not sure how this game is going to go, Unioto and VC always play a tight game and VC isn't really setup very well to stop the pass. Likewise with Amanda they're coming off a 0-10 season and they're still rebuilding so I don't know that anyone has a great read yet on Unioto. With them having injuries to some of the skilled players and just starting to get them back that factors in as well. This one could end up a shoot out this will be a big test for Waverly's secondary teams have made some plays early in the season but overall against MT the QB went 10-25 throwing, ZT QB had some success but threw a lot of screens and I think they popped 1 or 2 throws overall no real consistency from either team in the passing game against the Waverly secondary. As with most games and ones that will probably be close it's going to come down to the LOS, can Waverly create enough space in the running game to keep Unioto honest or have to commit more players to stop the run. Waverly's DL was able to apply more pressure in week 2 compared to no pressure in week 1. It's going to be the little things this week and it's going to come down to Waverly's defense keeping the rushing attack under wraps as to make Unioto 1 dimensional.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:03 am Being completely honest I'm not sure how this game is going to go, Unioto and VC always play a tight game and VC isn't really setup very well to stop the pass. Likewise with Amanda they're coming off a 0-10 season and they're still rebuilding so I don't know that anyone has a great read yet on Unioto. With them having injuries to some of the skilled players and just starting to get them back that factors in as well. This one could end up a shoot out this will be a big test for Waverly's secondary teams have made some plays early in the season but overall against MT the QB went 10-25 throwing, ZT QB had some success but threw a lot of screens and I think they popped 1 or 2 throws overall no real consistency from either team in the passing game against the Waverly secondary. As with most games and ones that will probably be close it's going to come down to the LOS, can Waverly create enough space in the running game to keep Unioto honest or have to commit more players to stop the run. Waverly's DL was able to apply more pressure in week 2 compared to no pressure in week 1. It's going to be the little things this week and it's going to come down to Waverly's defense keeping the rushing attack under wraps as to make Unioto 1 dimensional.
Unioto is very one dimensional after watching their first two games. They have shown very little ability to run the ball. Defend the deep ball and force Unioto to put together drives and Waverly will be fine. Hoops throws a nice ball but in all honesty if VC or Amanda’s secondary could catch. He would have thrown multiple int in both games. I would be surprised if Unioto can keep pace with Waverly.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:55 am
Tanks3232 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:24 pm
I think they're favorite because of what they returned, they lost a lot but anytime you can line up 4-5 seniors on the OL you can overcome a lot of things. Right now the new coach is searching for an identity and I think playing them early on is for sure a benefit.
When Zt gets some players back from injury on that defensive and offensive line they should be fine. They have a good core of skilled players. Once league play starts I wouldn’t be surprised one bit to see them start rolling. The talent is there.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Curious to which Waverly team will show up. The one that threw it 40 times against Miami Trace, or the one that ran it 40 times just last Friday.

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:37 pm Curious to which Waverly team will show up. The one that threw it 40 times against Miami Trace, or the one that ran it 40 times just last Friday.
Lol maybe they meet in the middle this week and go 50-50. I believe Waverly’s first choice is to always get the run game going first and then work in the passing game, or at least it should be. Hurd had absolutely zero holes to run thru week 1 and they opened up finally last week. As long as Waverly can have a respectable running game, they have a chance to compete in almost any game on their schedule. If they have to throw the ball 40 times in a game, I don’t like their odds. They have weapons to throw to and Kelly can throw a nice ball, but it has not yet shown to be consistent for various reasons.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:37 pm Curious to which Waverly team will show up. The one that threw it 40 times against Miami Trace, or the one that ran it 40 times just last Friday.
Weeks 1 and 2 were learning experiences and I believe the team that shows up Friday night will be the one that is more balanced.
Basically no rushing yards and 19-46 passing in week 1, a game the Tigers could easily have won against a good MT team.
Week 2 saw the Tigers stick with the running attack because they could. With that said, completing 3 passes in 8 attempts needs to improve. You can bet they are working on the timing in passing game..
Defensively the Tigers will need to pressure Hoops, force him into hurries and bad decisions.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

SOSA going to be live-streaming this one. One of the better games in the area on the slate

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

For Waverly prevent Unioto’s big play and force them to put together drives. For Unioto it’s simple got to stop Herd. Gotta go with Waverly on the road

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

I think this could be a good game, especially if Newt Hoops is effective running the ball and doesn’t have any lingering injuries from last week. I expect both teams to come out wanting this one. This is a big game in terms of playoff points since they are both in region 16 and the winner will be benefiting from this win long past tonight.
Unioto will be looking to get a two game win streak against the Tigers, and I imagine Waverly will be looking for revenge. Looking forward to a safe, hard fought and intense matchup!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Svcguru wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:47 am For Waverly prevent Unioto’s big play and force them to put together drives. For Unioto it’s simple got to stop Herd. Gotta go with Waverly on the road
I'd say that's about the jist of it.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

This game has become to be a nice cross county rivalry, think both teams have grown to respectfully dislike the other which makes this matchup fun

Return to “Football”