Potential new stadium in Marietta ?

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Potential new stadium in Marietta ?

Post by Wildcatone »

Glad to see they are studying this. Badly needed and I'm guessing the rent they pay to Marietta College is just not feasible. I'm trying to figure out just where they could build it. Not alot of flat land available without being in a flood zone in Marietta. Really hope this happens. https://www.mariettatimes.com/news/loca ... ium-study/

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Re: Potential new stadium in Marietta ?

Post by SoccerDad »

That's exciting. The article says "behind the high school." If they can level off enough space and connect the two parking lots it makes sense to me. I doubt their soccer programs would be interested in moving operation out of Devola though

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

SoccerDad wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:21 pm That's exciting. The article says "behind the high school." If they can level off enough space and connect the two parking lots it makes sense to me. I doubt their soccer programs would be interested in moving operation out of Devola though
Behind the high school does make sense. Do you know if they own the property that is behind the practice field ? I remember it being hilly and maybe a communications tower there too. Sorry. It's been 40 years LOL !

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Post by SoccerDad »

Wildcatone wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:04 pm Behind the high school does make sense. Do you know if they own the property that is behind the practice field ? I remember it being hilly and maybe a communications tower there too. Sorry. It's been 40 years LOL !
They have a huge parcel, but the land NW of the practice field is owned by the Board of Commissioners.

Auditor's map: https://auditorwashingtoncountyohio.gov ... 650&appid=

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

The site they have explored is where the current practice field is, up behind the high school.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Funding through a levy, other sources or combined ? ? Levies are hard to pass there.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Been hearing a lot about this as of late and it is exciting news for sure. Marietta has a rich history of playing at Don Drumm, but this has been needed for a while. Final straw for me as a fan was when they put that hideous gray turf down. Our kids deserve a stadium at the school, but it will probably be a big undertaking. Not sure it will fit where the practice field is without adding some fill to the slope down to the ravine.

Wildcatone, I heard that it would be funded at least partially from the Covid money the district received, but that could be completely off base.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:43 pm Been hearing a lot about this as of late and it is exciting news for sure. Marietta has a rich history of playing at Don Drumm, but this has been needed for a while. Final straw for me as a fan was when they put that hideous gray turf down. Our kids deserve a stadium at the school, but it will probably be a big undertaking. Not sure it will fit where the practice field is without adding some fill to the slope down to the ravine.

Wildcatone, I heard that it would be funded at least partially from the Covid money the district received, but that could be completely off base.
Didn't Marietta High give Don Drumm to Marietta College for free?

Go Blue
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Hope his happens.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:45 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:43 pm Been hearing a lot about this as of late and it is exciting news for sure. Marietta has a rich history of playing at Don Drumm, but this has been needed for a while. Final straw for me as a fan was when they put that hideous gray turf down. Our kids deserve a stadium at the school, but it will probably be a big undertaking. Not sure it will fit where the practice field is without adding some fill to the slope down to the ravine.

Yes, the school district sold the stadium to the College for $1. I know Don Drumm was in bad shape at the time and MC had agreed to renovate it (turf, scoreboard, pressbox, etc.)

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Post by SoccerDad »

I imagine building a stadium there at the current HS site would be the final nail in the coffin of the idea of a central Marietta City Schools location by the Community College they were trying to pass by levy.

Leave No Doubt
Riding the Bench

Post by Leave No Doubt »

Trust me on this. If you guys pull off this stadium deal, I will see to it that you get a personal invitation to join the TVC. Pretty soon we can get that three division idea up and running.

LEAVE NO DOUBT, TORNADOES!
Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Leave No Doubt wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:58 pm Trust me on this. If you guys pull off this stadium deal, I will see to it that you get a personal invitation to join the TVC. Pretty soon we can get that three division idea up and running.
I hope this is true. Here is what I would like to see happen to the TVC:

Ohio Division
Gallia Academy
Athens
Logan
Jackson
Vinton County
Warren

Muskingum Division
Nelsonville York
Trimble
Wellston
Belpre
Alexander
Meigs

Hocking Division
Federal Hocking
Waterford
Southern
Eastern
River Valley
South Gallia

Hoping than Daniel reads this and can work his magic to pull this rabbit out of his hat.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Justy
Riding the Bench

Post by Justy »

Almost Champions wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:40 am
Leave No Doubt wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:58 pm Trust me on this. If you guys pull off this stadium deal, I will see to it that you get a personal invitation to join the TVC. Pretty soon we can get that three division idea up and running.

Ohio Division
Gallia Academy
Athens
Logan
Jackson
Vinton County
Warren

Muskingum Division
Nelsonville York
Trimble
Wellston
Belpre
Alexander
Meigs

Hocking Division
Federal Hocking
Waterford
Southern
Eastern
River Valley
South Gallia

Hoping than Daniel reads this and can work his magic to pull this rabbit out of his hat.
Now that Combs is gone there might be a chance that VC would go for something like this. He ruled VC and was never going to agree to being in a league with Warren.

Stan Smith
Freshman Team

Post by Stan Smith »

Justy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:22 pm

Ohio Division
Gallia Academy
Athens
Logan
Jackson
Vinton County
Warren

Muskingum Division
Nelsonville York
Trimble
Wellston
Belpre
Alexander
Meigs

Hocking Division
Federal Hocking
Waterford
Southern
Eastern
River Valley
South Gallia

Now that Combs is gone there might be a chance that VC would go for something like this. He ruled VC and was never going to agree to being in a league with Warren.
I thought SG left the TVC

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

SoccerDad wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:28 pm I imagine building a stadium there at the current HS site would be the final nail in the coffin of the idea of a central Marietta City Schools location by the Community College they were trying to pass by levy.
Not necessarily. State funding does not provide for athletic facilities, and any new school built would not include a theater or gym the size of the current ones at Marietta HS. The district would certainly keep the HS property, or at least part of it, as an activity/athletic complex, especially if a stadium was constructed there. There was a master plan created for athletic facilities that accounted for new schools at the WashState CC site or another site.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

boss8 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:50 pm
SoccerDad wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:28 pm I imagine building a stadium there at the current HS site would be the final nail in the coffin of the idea of a central Marietta City Schools location by the Community College they were trying to pass by levy.
State funding does not provide for athletic facilities, and any new school built would not include a theater or gym the size of the current ones at Marietta HS.
I don't understand this. If we pass a levy to build new schools, it should be built with new athletic facilities on the campus just like every other school in the state. Why would Marietta be different? Not disputing you, I know this was given information, just don't understand.

Also, the levy that was must recently put on the ballot by the district had the new elementary school being built where the current practice field/future stadium is being discussed and I believe added on to the existing gym & auditorium. A stadium being built will change future building plans. I also had heard that the district bought land over by Phillips School. Interesting to see what happens in the future. Going to have to get creative because like stated earlier there isn't exactly an abundance of land in the city.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:35 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:45 pm

Yes, the school district sold the stadium to the College for $1. I know Don Drumm was in bad shape at the time and MC had agreed to renovate it (turf, scoreboard, pressbox, etc.)
Crazy to me that it wasn't negotiated in the deal that Marietta High got to play there for free for life or something similar.

Go Blue
MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Ohio Division
Gallia Academy
Athens
Logan
Jackson
Vinton County
Warren

Muskingum Division
Nelsonville York
Trimble
Wellston
Belpre
Alexander
Meigs

Hocking Division
Federal Hocking
Waterford
Southern
Eastern
River Valley
South Gallia

Is there a way in this plan that we could get Eastern in our division? i would like to see D1 smack that azz every year.

Easyrider
Waterboy

Post by Easyrider »

Honestly, with the current opposite directions of those two programs you should be thankful that they wouldn't be in the same division.

Return to “Football”